Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #15

TXiceman....why do you prefer the 5th wheel?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
We agonized over 5th wheel versus MH too. In the end we ended up in a Holiday Rambler MH and have been full timing 3 years happily in it so far. Here's the way i see it:

Pros to MH
- super easy to setup and take down -> great if you like to move a lot
- pets travel with you in the MH with ease
- access to whole home while driving
- you can pull a low gas-mileage toad for sightseeing and getting around town

Cons to MH
- more expensive than 5th wheel
- 2 engines to maintain with a toad
- MHs don't really do well 'sitting', so not great if you like to spend long periods in one spot

Pros to 5th wheel
- only one engine to maintain (your truck)
- cheaper than a MH to buy
- more "homey" layout -> interiors of 5th wheels feel more like a house
- great if you decide to stay in one place for longer

Cons to 5th wheel
- harder to setup and take down than MH
- you're stuck with a big truck when you drive around sightseeing
- pets have to be confined in truck while moving

There are more, but those were my top ones.

We ended up in a MH primarily because of our pets (we have 2 cats and 1 dog) and the fact that it's so easy to handle (i wanted a setup that I could easily manage by myself and the MH has been exactly that). There's no right or wrong decision, but we've been happy with ours and would make the same one again.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #17

WheelingIt...thank you for post and link!!! We may certainly be kindred spirits. I will follow you for your inspiration, information and seasoned RV lifestyle.
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #18

While the debate between a MH and a 5RV has been debated for years I will say IMO with the addition to newer 5RVs having auto levelers, the setup nowadays is just as easy as a Class A. Disconnecting the TV is just as easy if not easier than disconnecting a toad.

I will agree with the remaining comments that Wheelingit posted. There are pros and cons to each and at times I am torn myself in our future purchase. Our decision will be made upon our intent of our travel plans.

One thing to consider if going with a higher end 5RV is they are better insulated than a Class A. For this reason along with us moving every couple of months, I think a 5RV works better for us.

It all really depends on what works for you.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #19

You may have the cart before the horse. What is the longest trip you have taken? Why not lock up the house and take a 4-5 month trip and see if that is life you really like? You probably have stuff you like a lot, and don't want to give up. Why not make a list of non-replaceables? How will you handle mail, banking, telephones? We have solved these problems (for us, yours might be much different).
We have had motorhomes since 1985, but have always kept a house. We are fortunate to be able to keep both. If we had to choose, we would not, we would just buy a cheaper MH. You have to find the balance that works for you. But before you throw up everything and plunge in, try sneaking up on it.
Just my $.02. Good luck on whatever you decide.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #20

LOL... The longest trip we've made is 2 weeks. Now stop laughing everyone! We are serious about this. But that's a great idea. Baby steps as Dave Ramsey says. Maybe we should do a month. :-))))
Old 08-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #21

i have no problem buying new. depreciates quick but if you work out of it you can write a lot of it off and you know you're getting something that hasn't been abused by someone else. just my opinion.

DC
deafcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
LOL... The longest trip we've made is 2 weeks. Now stop laughing everyone! We are serious about this. But that's a great idea. Baby steps as Dave Ramsey says. Maybe we should do a month. :-))))
No laughing here. I think what you should do is exactly what you WANT to do. If you have areas where you're unsure, ask questions here and assess the responses as you will and then make your decision, but in the end, you're the only one who really knows what's inside trying to get out.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Don't apologize for 2 weeks. I remember very well when my wife and I took our first trip in our new to us '97 Winnebago Vectra DP. we had bought the coach to ease into RVing again with an idea of full timing one day. I got off work and we headed south with Key West our final destination. We stopped for the night in central Georgia at a Pilot truck stop at about 2AM. I pulled in with the trucks after fueling and fired up the generator as it was cold in mid GA in February. I remember laying in that queen sized bed at the truck stop on our first night in out coach. It came over me all at once that living in a motor home full time would be absolutely no problem

That was 9 years ago and we have been in our coach full time going on 6 years.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #24

I will say we love our 5th but riding in the truck pulling that 5th wears on us after 5 or 6 hours. After that......hubby, I, and the 2 dogs are about to kill each other! All we want is out of there. That's what started this thread--thinking a MH would be more comfortable to travel in. BTW..he has a 2010 Dodge Ram 3500.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
Welcome to your new world!

Just a quick bit of advice: be verry careful about storing things. My former girldfriend stored her mother's antiques and heirlooms in climate controlled units for eleven years until she noticed that she had spent more than twelve thousand dollars storing stuff. Now she knows that that is a bad idea. Just something to think about.

Tom
We did that with my parents "stuff" when they moved to assisted living then private home care. Decided the $165 a month could go elsewhere.
Then my step daughter died and we "inherited" her things, two grandkids and three cats!
Now our house interior looks like a warehouse but we aren't paying anyone to store stuff either.
Grandkids sure did change our retirement planning!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #26

iRV2 No Limits Club
NF, we also kept our home, and now that we are both in wheelchairs, that turned out to be good. Now, living in your explorer machine, you should have no reason to drive more than 50 mph and no more than 4 hrs a day. Only mabe if you have to get up at the crack of dawn and start out, we once started out for Phoenix early one morn and only got about 200 miles down I 40 from okiecity-- had to stop and sleep ahhahaha.

Faster horses, more money and all that, eieio (Warren)
WAGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #27

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey No Fear.....

Would you consider living in your rig for a couple of weeks in your driveway,,,or your "dooryard" as we say up north????

We absolutely love the layout of our 40 foot RV and would not trade it for the world. You need to explore what you need... You also need to make a list of what you love and hate about all the rigs that you have been considering.

Do you want to tow a rig and then have the truck for a principle vehicle??? Or do you want to drag a vehicle behind the RV as a four-down vehicle or on a dolly and what vehicle is your primary vehicle of choice??

But seriously, you may be living in this rolling home for a while and what makes you happy? Make sure that you are confident in your ability to live together in your space. Hubby and I have our space and I know that we can separate when necessary. When you are downsizing this much, make sure that can each have your own space. That is crucial to a happy marriage.... He knows that he can retreat to the bedroom and I can have the dinette to pursue my job and my passion of geneolagy. But when we want to watch TV together, we each have our space. We also make sure that we have enough seating for outdoor space to take it away if we need to do that...(Pack enough bug spray if you need to sut outside for a while...LOL!!!)

Best of luck...it is precarious blancing act...

Faith and Bob
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #28

Quote:
We currently have Cameo 5th wheel (1 yr now) and love Rving. So much so that we want to sell our home, store some furniture, and hit the road. Kids all grown and we can work from the road.

Thanks!
Well now lets just slow down and think about it a little. You've been rving for one year and love it. Camping is a different thing then fulltiming. You will not be on a full time vacation,it is a lifestyle that you have to get use to. As you say you will have to work,so many fulltimers do with lower wages than they had before quiting their regular jobs. Whatever you have 5th wheel or motorhome something will break or wear out. Are you handy with tools and know how to repair the small problems that come up. If not it will be big bucks taking it to have repaired.
As said before the best thing is to ease into it,maybe six months with the rig you have before you decide. Not trying to scare you just some suggestions.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote