Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFitz View Post
I think you are getting good advice. I have only one thing to add about shopping for an RV: http://rv.org/
While this organization has it critics, it's the closest thing I know of for objective comparisons. I thought it was money well spent when we went through this process 11 years ago. BTW, I have no affiliation with them.
I agree, I paid $139 last week for the service and it renews annually at $28.50. I find it to be opinionated but worth hearing something not written by a magazine or manufacturer. When you subscribe you get to down load some materials and they also ship a book that covers a lot of subjects. Lots of discussion on industry safety/oversight...or lack there of.

You also get to download a large data base (Windows or MAC Leopard) with some specific information and some general information. The review includes some ratings on safety, highway control, safety, brand history, construction and a few other items. The one thing I don't agree with is the total reliance on length/wheel base ratio as a means to determine handling. My main reason is that there doesn't seem to be any consideration of other factors like Newmar's comfort drive system.

Still, all information is good. You have 3 choices, use it, loose it, or store it away for future consideration.

Sometimes it is easy to get all fired up. Most of us on here are somewhat cheer leaders. The critical stuff sometimes gets lost.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #58

[QUOTE=athuddriver;1287319]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance Chick View Post

Certainly is a point we have to think about. Not all pets are created equal in the eyes of establishments. With 2 German Shepherds we might not have such an easy time finding a pet friendly motel we would want to stay in.
Something to consider for dogs is a "doggie day care" type of place to take your dog for those occasions. I know there is a nationwide chain called Camp Bow Wow that takes dogs on a daily basis and overnight and extended basis. Dogs are spoiled rotten there and given attention constantly. It's great for keeping the dog socialized and also allow you freedom of going places and not leaving the dogs alone in an RV.
We have a springer spaniel that has separation anxiety and we will be using camp bow wow or other "doggie day cares" as often as needed.he loves the day care he's been going to for a few years now. Wears him out good so he comes home tired and happy.

DC
deafcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #59

I personaly would look at bus conversions, most of them are done up very well, the engine/trans are more than suited for traveling long distance. Fuel mileage is very good, as these buses were made to go over the road and make a good profit. Take a look at MCI , Prevost, van hool. Stay away from the antique buses unless the engine/trans has been updated. Also take the unit to a qualified RV shop and have them look it over for you. Conv. buses can be had in the $50,000 range.
Wrenchbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
We have been fulltiming for over a year & love it although my better half complains about the space (MH with no slide)...
We are both retired & getting by on our social security, I also have a little side business that gives us enough to get by...
We started by paying cash for a 34' Winnie Chieftain (no slides... )...
So our living cost is quite low as our Winnie is paid for...
We started at Lake Travis outside of Austin, was very nice & friendly folks...
This is a plus if you can find a RV camp that has great folks there & also close to Wally World...
We are in Okinawa, Japan at the moment seeing our grand kids & moving the Winnie to Bastrop, Texas when we get home....
Will stay there a year & then move down to Rockport, Texas for my fishing habit...
So our plan is Not to jump around that much & find a nice area where we can explore for 6 mths. to a year...
We do want to move up to a class A Dutchstar with a slide so we can have a bit more room to wiggle...
And we have a LOT of stuff in storage to shed but my spouse has a hard time letting it go, maybe with time...
Hope this helps...
Bob & Kathy

KE5FTF...Bob & Kathy
Bmaintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmaintz8 View Post
We have been fulltiming for over a year & love it although my better half complains about the space (MH with no slide)...
We are both retired & getting by on our social security, I also have a little side business that gives us enough to get by...
This is a plus if you can find a RV camp that has great folks there & also close to Wally World...
We are in Okinawa, Japan at the moment seeing our grand kids & moving the Winnie to Bastrop, Texas when we get home....
Will stay there a year & then move down to Rockport, Texas for my fishing habit...
So our plan is Not to jump around that much & find a nice area where we can explore for 6 mths. to a year...
We do want to move up to a class A Dutchstar with a slide so we can have a bit more room to wiggle...
And we have a LOT of stuff in storage to shed but my spouse has a hard time letting it go, maybe with time...
Hope this helps...
Bob & Kathy
Using you MH to work out of allows you a lot of write offs including the cost of purchasing a MH through it's depreciation.

http://www.steinbring.com/tax-deductions/
DC
deafcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafcone View Post
Using you MH to work out of allows you a lot of write offs including the cost of purchasing a MH through it's depreciation.

DC
Do the same rules apply as when one deducts the cost of a "home office" in a stick house?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
[QUOTE=deafcone;1289019]
Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post

Something to consider for dogs is a "doggie day care" type of place to take your dog for those occasions. I know there is a nationwide chain called Camp Bow Wow that takes dogs on a daily basis and overnight and extended basis. ...
If trip interruption insurance covers something like that... However, I am not sure who is more upset when we have left our guys at our vet's for boarding in the past. For day trips, this could certainly be something to consider.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmaintz8
Hope this helps...
Bob & Kathy
It sure does and gives inspiration. We are in DFW area. Austin and that area is beautiful. I think I'm just ready for a change. Been in the same house, same town, same routine for 19 years. Letting go is hard because the land my home is built on has been in my family (all passed now) with many momentos of generations past. But we can't take it with us and I don't want to leave everything for my kids to get rid of. Don't think they care for it anyway. Things from people they have never known. So we want to move anyway, figured why not take some time and see the beauty outside Texas. Waiting for appraisal to come back on house before taking next step. Maybe in 6 months, a year...who knows, we'll find a piece of dirt to settle on again.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafcone

http://www.steinbring.com/tax-deductions/
DC
No way!!! That would work wonders for us as we are using the MH primarily for work. Thank you for your post!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
No way!!! That would work wonders for us as we are using the MH primarily for work. Thank you for your post!
Be VERY careful and check with a tax expert. There a whole bunch of GOTCHAS in the tax codes about this subject. The link from the dealer is part of a sales pitch. It can be true but it might not be either. In a regular home you have to, generally speaking, prove what portion of a home is for business and it can't serve another purpose. I did that a couple years and each year had to fight the IRS. It wasn't enough space and money saved to continue with that so I gave up trying.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver

Be VERY careful and check with a tax expert. There a whole bunch of GOTCHAS in the tax codes about this subject. The link from the dealer is part of a sales pitch. It can be true but it might not be either. In a regular home you have to, generally speaking, prove what portion of a home is for business and it can't serve another purpose. I did that a couple years and each year had to fight the IRS. It wasn't enough space and money saved to continue with that so I gave up trying.
Will do! Will contact them tomorrow. Thank you.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO

Do the same rules apply as when one deducts the cost of a "home office" in a stick house?

Rick
They do, but you have to make sure you're following the tax laws. In order to deduct expenses as a home office, you have to have a portion of the RV dedicated permanently as an office. Then all expenses get split up based on percentages (home office versus rest of home) as per the tax code.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver

I agree! I'd be very surprised if you were able to write off the cost of purchasing the MH..it's serving as your home, not as an entire office or as office equipment. Be very careful to check with a tax lawyer on that one. You can use *part* of your MH as an office and deduct those expenses, but it has to be permanent (i.e. That part of the MH cannot be used for other purposes). At least that's my understanding.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
I agree! I'd be very surprised if you were able to write off the cost of purchasing the MH..it's serving as your home, not as an entire office or as office equipment. Be very careful to check with a tax lawyer on that one. You can use *part* of your MH as an office and deduct those expenses, but it has to be permanent (i.e. That part of the MH cannot be used for other purposes). At least that's my understanding.
I NEVER use the oven. HMMM...business related file storage? 4-5 square feet of 400, 1/100th part of my rig...naaaaa...the microwave overhead covers that and I do use it. LOL don't even go there. LOL

(OK...this post is officially silly.)