Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
WheelingIt's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On Wheels
Posts: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver

I NEVER use the oven. HMMM...business related file storage? 4-5 square feet of 400, 1/100th part of my rig...
Gives a whole new meaning to "cooking the books"
hehehe
__________________

__________________
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #72
Member
 
NoFear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt

Gives a whole new meaning to "cooking the books"
hehehe
The way I'm going I'll be using ALL available space for files, storage.....oven, microwave, dishwasher..... Wow, downsizing! What an adjustment but it's all just "stuff".
__________________

__________________
2007 Monaco Executive, 45'. Director and Assistant Director for a non-profit.
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 228
Your original post stated that you wanted to sell your home and go fulltiming in a motorhome. Now, you want to get a motorhome and run a business from it. Having dealt with the IRS over a number of years, I would say that if you're depending upon a business tax writeoff to justify your motorhome, stick with your 5er.
__________________
Duncan, 2012 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2014 Honda CRV, wife and cat
Florida and South Carolina
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #74
Member
 
NoFear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr
Your original post stated that you wanted to sell your home and go fulltiming in a motorhome. Now, you want to get a motorhome and run a business from it. Having dealt with the IRS over a number of years, I would say that if you're depending upon a business tax writeoff to justify your motorhome, stick with your 5er.
Mgtr,

We do want to move (sell our home), but we don't know where to. We love to travel having done so a year in a 5er. We currently work from home so if we went to a MH, we would still be working from home. Sweet! Travel would be mainly for work. Sweet deal is we would get to see beautiful things along the way, simplify our lives, help others. Maybe some day we'd settle down again. Probably some beautiful spot along the way. All we need is the Internet, cell phone.

I just don't have any idea where to get insurance for a MH, the cost, R&M, things like that to budget for....hence the post.

Just trying to cover my bases as much as possible.
__________________
2007 Monaco Executive, 45'. Director and Assistant Director for a non-profit.
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #75
Member
 
NoFear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 96
What does FTers do about mail?
__________________
2007 Monaco Executive, 45'. Director and Assistant Director for a non-profit.
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
Used would be the best because of the deprecation but having trouble finding the floor plan we like. Found a new Fleetwood ($240k) but ouch!!
Well, $$$ would be a logical starting point. Otherwise, I suggest an H3-45 Prevost.

No need to reveal your budget, but check out RV sales sites like Diesel Motorhomes for Sale - PPL Motor Homes to get an idea of what's in your price range.

PPL has an area for just diesels and they also list what the actual selling price of what coaches sold for. VERY HANDY. Used Diesel Motor Homes Sold - PPL Motor Homes

Also, Ebay should also give you an idea of what you can get for your money.

Finally, if you REALLY want to do some research, download the NHTSA database of recalls: Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), Flat File Downloads | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

It's huge and will list all the recalls on all vehicles, but with some filtering you'll be able to check out the recalls for each RV manufacturer. For me, the recall database was helpful in eliminating some manufacturers from consideration.

For other fulltiming questions, like insurance, mail forwarding, etc., you might want to start separate threads.
__________________
2001 Mountain Aire DP 4095
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
RVSeniorMoments.com
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #77
Member
 
NoFear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter
Well, $$$ would be a logical starting point. Otherwise, I suggest an H3-45 Prevost.

No need to reveal your budget, but check out RV sales sites like Diesel Motorhomes for Sale - PPL Motor Homes to get an idea of what's in your price range.

PPL has an area for just diesels and they also list what the actual selling price of what coaches sold for. VERY HANDY. Used Diesel Motor Homes Sold - PPL Motor Homes

Also, Ebay should also give you an idea of what you can get for your money.

Finally, if you REALLY want to do some research, download the NHTSA database of recalls: Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), Flat File Downloads | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

It's huge and will list all the recalls on all vehicles, but with some filtering you'll be able to check out the recalls for each RV manufacturer. For me, the recall database was helpful in eliminating some manufacturers from consideration.

For other fulltiming questions, like insurance, mail forwarding, etc., you might want to start separate threads.
Thanks TechWriter.... Will do!
__________________
2007 Monaco Executive, 45'. Director and Assistant Director for a non-profit.
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #78
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
What does FTers do about mail?
mail forwarding service. should be a thread about it somewhere.

DC
__________________
deafcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #79
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
I agree! I'd be very surprised if you were able to write off the cost of purchasing the MH..it's serving as your home, not as an entire office or as office equipment. Be very careful to check with a tax lawyer on that one. You can use *part* of your MH as an office and deduct those expenses, but it has to be permanent (i.e. That part of the MH cannot be used for other purposes). At least that's my understanding.
Would't surprise me at all. if you use the motorhome to travel because of business and do your work in the motorhome it is very likely. you would need to consult with a tax attorney also as not all accounts will know that stuff. I talked with a person specifically about it. he has owned over 10 MH's. He was very detailed in what he could do and specifically suggested getting a tax attorney and having your accountant work with the tax attorney to be sure you'r getting all the tax write offs for your motorhome you can get.

and a part of a house can be used as an office and personal use too. you need to break it down to time percentage used for each. my wife is a massage therapists and she uses a 2nd bedroom as her massage room and it is also used for guests. we have written off use of that room on taxes for many years.
DC
__________________
deafcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #80
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafcone View Post
Would't surprise me at all. if you use the motorhome to travel because of business and do your work in the motorhome it is very likely. you would need to consult with a tax attorney also as not all accounts will know that stuff. I talked with a person specifically about it. he has owned over 10 MH's. He was very detailed in what he could do and specifically suggested getting a tax attorney and having your accountant work with the tax attorney to be sure you'r getting all the tax write offs for your motorhome you can get....
I guess the point is whether or not by the time you pay lawyers, accountants and figure the cost of your own frustrations keeping records that will stand up to an IRS audit one has to decide if angling for a tax break is worth it.

Of course, you do have one advantage...it's not like you can't hide your assets for a little while. Just start the engine and go.
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #81
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7
We are in the same boat, or RV I guess. We have owner only TTs and now have made the decision to go fulltime. We are looking at selling the TT and buying possibly a new Winne Vista 35B. We have sold pretty much everything except our beds and our rent contract ends in 3 months..... SO excited

Ranger out
__________________
Free Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #82
Member
 
NoFear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Ranger
We are in the same boat, or RV I guess. We have owner only TTs and now have made the decision to go fulltime. We are looking at selling the TT and buying possibly a new Winne Vista 35B. We have sold pretty much everything except our beds and our rent contract ends in 3 months..... SO excited

Ranger out
Free Ranger

What did you do to sell most your things? We have a houseful. Going to try not to store too much. Thanks
__________________
2007 Monaco Executive, 45'. Director and Assistant Director for a non-profit.
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #83
Senior Member
 
mikf's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 532
do not forget to have an exit plan if you decide or your health decides it is time to stop fulltiming.
__________________
Mike S.E. Ohio
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #84
Senior Member
 
Jack1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear

Free Ranger

What did you do to sell most your things? We have a houseful. Going to try not to store too much. Thanks
Just a cautionary note on storage. In 1999 we moved out of our house into a 5er and decided to store our household. It costs us $2,500 for "movers" and $2,500 p/yr in storage fees.....plus we had a small storage locker for seasonal "things" ($750 p/yr) In 2005 we finally decided that this had to stop ( 7yrs @ $3,250 + $2,500 moving costs), but since we no longer had a home base our only option was an auction.......

Our storage & moving costs over 7yrs were +$25,000 and we sold everything at auction for $750!!!
__________________

__________________
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.