Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2012, 02:10 AM   #1

1st Motorhome-Want to go full time...

We currently have Cameo 5th wheel (1 yr now) and love Rving. So much so that we want to sell our home, store some furniture, and hit the road. Kids all grown and we can work from the road.

We have no idea what make of Motorhome to buy. We want 40' min. Traveling with 2 dogs and making this our home. Any advice would be so helpful.

Thanks!
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 02:24 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club

It would be easier to offer advice if you could narrow your search slightly.

1) Are you looking to buy new or used, and if used, how old could it potentially be?
2) RV's come in different quality's. Which end of the marked would you be looking at?
3) How much money are you planning on spending?

Having a Monaco myself I think they are worth a look. I would also consider a Tiffin.

Have a look at this website.

Good luck hunting

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #3

Used would be the best because of the deprecation but having trouble finding the floor plan we like. Found a new Fleetwood ($240k) but ouch!!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:11 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
How about this one?

Same year and model as mine. Less than 12,000 miles. Original list price would have been around $240,000, but the original buyer would probably have paid around $190,000 if he did his "homework" before buying.

Seems like a competitive price to me.

It's sitting in Alvaredo, Texas. Maybe not fare from where you are - maybe?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:35 AM   #5

So no major issues with your Monaco? Have you been happy with it?
Old 08-20-2012, 03:52 AM   #6

You might want to look at Foretravel, and Newmar. However there is no such thing as a M/H that does not have problems from time to time. Being as you already have the 5th wheel and truck you may want to try living in that for a while, before going all in. The deprecation and maintence cost will be far less than a diesel pusher, and more useable space.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #7

Actually my husband did find a used 2003 Foretravel, 165k miles. But that scares me a bit with age and mileage.

So why do people get MH then if 5ths are more room and less costs? We are so torn as to what to do.

BTW... Thanks for the replays and advice!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:20 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Many people full time in fivers and love it. The down sides often mentioned are that it takes a bit more time to set up and tear down than a MH... you have to drive a big truck as your daily transportation... and it might not seem as convenient/safe to have to get out of the tow vehicle to access the facilities of the trailer. BUT... many owners will debate that these are cons at all.

My advice would be to buy gently used and buy a 40+ footer DP. Many opinions on brands. We've had our Winnie for >5 years and been happy with it but I'm also a fan of Tiffin and Monaco in that order.

Best of luck.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #9

Thank you all so much! This is all helpful!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear
Actually my husband did find a used 2003 Foretravel, 165k miles. But that scares me a bit with age and mileage.

So why do people get MH then if 5ths are more room and less costs? We are so torn as to what to do.

BTW... Thanks for the replays and advice!
If you are looking for a diesel. Mileage is of no concern in a motor home. Ago is not particularly important either if you understand the TVs will have to be updated and there will likely be some visible wear and tear.

My wife and I were is your situation in '06. We had spend much time and effort developing a list of specific needs in a coach. We prioritized them into must have, and nice to have. Then we prioritized manufacturers. We looked closely at Country Coach, Winnebago, Tiffin, Newmar and Travel Supreme. Out of that list we finalized on CC and Monaco. Both of these builders had Semi Monocoque chassis and AquaHot systems. They also had tag axles on 40' coaches. These had become some of our must have items.

To make an already long story a little shorter, we found our coach by mid '06 and moved into it in April '07. Since that time we have spent a total of 6 nights in other accommodations. It has been close to trouble free and we continue to be very happy with out coach.

With a used Diesel, it's not about age or mileage. It's about maintenance. If the previous owner(s) have kept the chassis maintenance done regularly then your odds of having a very reliable coach are very good. If you find "the coach" and can't be sure of the prior maintenance then have the oil and transmission fluid sampled and send to a testing lab. If that checks out then build a complete service into the price.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
So no major issues with your Monaco? Have you been happy with it?
No - no major issues, but lots of minor issues, like with all motorhomes. When we first got the Monaco i had the feeling that everything was major issues but with a lot of help from other iRV2 member, i am now able to deal with most everything myself. It does help if you are handy with a spanner, a screwdriver and a multimeter.

As mentioned elsewhere - Newmar. I would definitely also consider that brand.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #12

Welcome to your new world!

Just a quick bit of advice: be verry careful about storing things. My former girldfriend stored her mother's antiques and heirlooms in climate controlled units for eleven years until she noticed that she had spent more than twelve thousand dollars storing stuff. Now she knows that that is a bad idea. Just something to think about.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, for full-time use, we prefer the 5er over a motorhome.

Are you sure you have thought this through?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #14

We have been agonizing over pros-cons-pros-cons..... Fretting over selling everything, store some things, letting our son watch the house and we hit the road (although that last option is the scariest). We welcome your advice. We don't know anyone personally to ask and our parents have passed. We just have a gut desire to see more of God's country. If we don't do it we feel we would always have regrets. We just have to figure out the financial logistics of it all.