Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
mdo

1st Test Drive

Today I walked around a 37' DP and it seemed the size of a greyhound bus. Tomorrow I will test drive my first class A. As I walked around the 37, it made me wonder if I shouldn't be starting out in a smaller RV. Anyone else feel this way? My last RV was a popup Coleman camper...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2011, 04:45 PM   #2

I started with a 34 then a 37 now a 40 going straight is a breeze. Just remember while turning the back end swings around and swing wide on right hand turns. It's not as bad as you imagine.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #3

My first was a 45ft. after almost three years I don't Pucker up as much.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #4

A lot of people get some class a driving lessons to get them started, if you feel too uncomfortable I would advise that. Once you get used to what you can and cannot do they really are a nice way to travel.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdo
Today I walked around a 37' DP and it seemed the size of a greyhound bus. Tomorrow I will test drive my first class A. As I walked around the 37, it made me wonder if I shouldn't be starting out in a smaller RV. Anyone else feel this way? My last RV was a popup Coleman camper...
Drive the 37', most people are intimidated at first by the size. Later become very comfortable with size and perhaps will even go larger next time. Have fun!
Old 09-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #6

Try going to www.betterrving.com look for the RV Driver Confidence Course. There are about 6-8 classes. They will tell you what you should see on your mirrors, taking a curve, taking turns and more. Knowing the dynamics of the coach will help you feel more comfortable about driving a Class A regardless of size. Good Luck!!
EagleWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdo View Post
First and formost, be aware of your state or province laws regarding license requirements, for air brake equiped vehicles, or max weight allowed.. Salesmen will often claim " Your OK " just to make a sale. All to often it's Buyer Beware, it's up to you to know the law! Here in B.C.,RVers are at odds with the Dealers and Government about this ; as it stands now you can buy an air brake coach or a trailer over 10,000# gvw. Insure it and then have your insurance voided when you have an accident, because of license requirments. Not a great way to find things out.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
We started with a 29ft. It seemed as wide as a football field. Got used to it after a trip down hiway 101. This one is 37ft. It really did not seem much different. The extra length is barely noticeable.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #9

Get in, relax, set your mirrors so you can see, go on down the road and don't tailgate. A 37' motorhome will go in some very tight spaces. be careful backing up, when in doubt get out and look behind you, and back slowly. it will become 2nd nature quickly.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My first test drive.... when we first stated shopping... we were looking at class c's. really liked the jayco seneca, but couldn't afford it. 36 foot diesel C drove real nice, and felt really cozy in that lil truck cab. After we got back, salesman asked me if I wanted to take a 40' tiffin for a spin. Just sitting in the front of that thing scared me to death. I let him drive it.

Some time later I did buy a 36' gas class A, my first moho.
And a couple years later, that 40' diesel.
I love driving the knight.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #11

Mod - IMHO the sweet spot for dp size is 40-42 ft. Before you buy test a bunch. I had a class a 26'. Then went to 42'. The 42 is easier to drive.

Bob
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My first MH was a Fleetwood Tioga Montara, a 23' Class C. A few years later I bought 32' Holiday Rambler Vacationer class A. I just ordered a 37' Newmar Dutch Star diesel pusher. The class A was easier to drive on highways than was the class C. The class C was easier to navigate on side streets. Both required me to be very aware of where all four corners of the coach are and more planning (construction zones, fuel lanes, lane changes, merge, and braking) than driving my pickup truck. Considering the steer wheels are under the driver and not out in front like a car, it takes some time to get use to the dynamics of the MH in a turn. IMHO, more importantly than coach length is width. The overall width of the diesel pusher I just ordered is greater than my last two coaches and I worry about that more so than length. My strategy after I buy the coach is to take a few trips on roads I know well both interstate and secondary roads to get comfortable with the new coach and take a drivers school when I can get to one this next year.

Mike
Old 10-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
First and formost, be aware of your state or province laws regarding license requirements, for air brake equiped vehicles, or max weight allowed.. Salesmen will often claim " Your OK " just to make a sale. All to often it's Buyer Beware, it's up to you to know the law! Here in B.C.,RVers are at odds with the Dealers and Government about this ; as it stands now you can buy an air brake coach or a trailer over 10,000# gvw. Insure it and then have your insurance voided when you have an accident, because of license requirments. Not a great way to find things out.
A most important point.. In Texas anything over 26001 pounds requires a class B license. I got mine and then sent a copy to the insurance company.
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #14
JSW

Please note, Texas law exempts drivers of personal motorhomes and RVs from the requirement of having a class B CDL.