Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #1

1st Tire blow out

Had my first blow out on my 30ft tiffin. Front right. Remember all of the safety class from rally's about how to handle it. Did ok. No damage to rig, just tire. After getting Good Sam road hazard call and service tech showed up and did repair I was able to check out tire. It blew out not on tread or outside side wall, but the inside side wall??? Any idea about what could have cause it? I had just checked air pressure and looked at tire from the outside and seem no problems with tire.
jastinjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jastinjr View Post
Had my first blow out on my 30ft tiffin. Front right. Remember all of the safety class from rally's about how to handle it. Did ok. No damage to rig, just tire. After getting Good Sam road hazard call and service tech showed up and did repair I was able to check out tire. It blew out not on tread or outside side wall, but the inside side wall??? Any idea about what could have cause it? I had just checked air pressure and looked at tire from the outside and seem no problems with tire.
What brand of tire and how old?
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #3

Can you post details of what happened? Speed? Affect on controlability, did you hit the brakes or the gas. What was the outside temp. Date code on the tires, brand, size, model? Thanks, and glad that there was no damage and no one hurt!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Surely not a Michelin.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:19 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On about the 28th of oct. just north of the I75=florida turnpike split I was passing a class A MH and he had a right front tire blow. Scared the heck out of my wife but the driver did a great job of controlling it. I would say he was only going about 63 or 64 MPH because I was going 65 and was passing him very slowly.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:49 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jastinjr View Post
Any idea about what could have cause it? I had just checked air pressure and looked at tire from the outside and seem no problems with tire.
I have a idea if it is a Michelin.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:05 AM   #7

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/1st-...-a-269637.html
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Glad you survived your tire problem, but your description of your actions is exactly what you shouldn't do.

This video shows what can happen and also discusses not letting up on the gas:

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #9

Do you remember ever striking a parking limiter hard or a good pothole?

Certian impacts can cause damage inside a tire that takes many months or miles to tear down the inside structure of a tire.

Parents had this happen resulting in serious accident and lab testing tire indicated road damage to tire some time back had weakened the tire combined with driving freeway speeds in ca desert in simmer caused failure.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:23 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post

Why the "part 2"??? Why not just a reply in the first post?

Glad you were able to control and not suffer any damage.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #11

Love the "you did exactly what you shouldn't do" that's funny!!! Because some manufacturer puts out a video it's the word of god. Anyone who says this is the only way to do it in any situation is obviously wrong.

Seems like what you did worked perfectly fine and got you safely off the road. How could that be wrong???

I treat a tire blowout much the same as starting to slide on snow/ice, remove foot from gas, countersteer to regain/maintain control. No sudden movements and don't touch the brake until you have the vehicle under control.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Surely not a Michelin.

Correct

They were Firestone f560 tires, see his part 2.

Love my Michelins !

:-)
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Love the "you did exactly what you shouldn't do" that's funny!!! Because some manufacturer puts out a video it's the word of god. Anyone who says this is the only way to do it in any situation is obviously wrong.

Seems like what you did worked perfectly fine and got you safely off the road. How could that be wrong???

I treat a tire blowout much the same as starting to slide on snow/ice, remove foot from gas, countersteer to regain/maintain control. No sudden movements and don't touch the brake until you have the vehicle under control.
I guess you didn't watch the two videos I linked. The first shows how a flat tire on the front pulls you to one side and by maintaining power for a few seconds allows you to remain in control. The second shows a roll-over from a front flat and the fellow analyzing the mishap makes the same suggestion, maintain power to maintain control.

I didn't suggest it was the 'word of God' but don't think we should be saying letting up on the gas in the case of a front axle flat is the correct action.

I also question your ideas on a skid on slippery roads. If you're going into a turn with front wheel drive and start to skid (going straight) applying the gas can power you around the curve. In a rear wheel drive vehicle, letting up a bit on the gas might bring the wheels back in control, but completely releasing the power to the rear could cause the wheels to turn too slow, thus making the slide worse.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #14

Had one blow last month in Arkansas doing 71 mph on a 4 lane , Was in left lane, 4 year old Michelin. Blew on the inside wall left front. I have Tyron, there was no wheel or coach damage. Drove great getting to side of road, I feel very lucky. 5 days to get the correct tire. Hope it is last!!