Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #1

2-6Volt and a 12V for the House Batteries

Time to replace my 9 year old 6 volt house batteries. My battery tray has room for 3 batteries but only has 2- 6 volts currently. I have spoken to folks that have successfully used two 6Volts with one 12 volt. What's the negatives to this? Am I better served by three 12 volt group 27's? Will I get appreciably more battery use before charging? Other than the wiring of the 2-6 volts in series and then parallel to the 12 volt what else needs to be considered? What is the best wiring pattern for greatest efficiency? We primarily dry camp so want the best arrangement. Not ready to go solar yet. Would love to hear from folks with more knowledge than me. Tim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #2

When putting batteries in parallel, it is best if they are as nearly identical as possible. Otherwise, one will tend to current hog and the other will not charge well. Even with the same model battery, differences in age should be avoided.

I would not advise using a 12v and 2 6v batteries together. You will probably be better off with 3 12s.

Joel

J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
When putting batteries in parallel, it is best if they are as nearly identical as possible. Otherwise, one will tend to current hog and the other will not charge well. Even with the same model battery, differences in age should be avoided.

I would not advise using a 12v and 2 6v batteries together. You will probably be better off with 3 12s.

Joel
I agree. 3 identical deep cycle high AH batteries is the way I would go. Never mix battery size, kind, age in the same bank.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
I agree. 3 identical deep cycle high AH batteries is the way I would go. Never mix battery size, kind, age in the same bank.
X3.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A third method would be to wire two 6v golf cart batteries parallel, then in series to achieve 12v with a third 6v. The reason I would try that is because I've never been able to get good service out of group 27 batteries. They just haven't held up for me like the golf cart 6v's. That may be why you don't see group 27's in golf carts! YMMV..!
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #6

Thanks Folks, All Good Stuff

I am going to a battery specialty shop tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what they have to say. I usually err on the side of caution.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
A third method would be to wire two 6v golf cart batteries parallel, then in series to achieve 12v with a third 6v. The reason I would try that is because I've never been able to get good service out of group 27 batteries. They just haven't held up for me like the golf cart 6v's. That may be why you don't see group 27's in golf carts! YMMV..!
I agree that two 12v (or 3 12v deep cycle) may not be equal to two premium 6v CG batteries as far as true AHs go, but I think the industry is (or perhaps has already) changed this. The proof would be in the AH rating per the stats on the true deep cycle !2v batteries. AFAIK, this hasn't happened yet.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLoon View Post
I am going to a battery specialty shop tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what they have to say. I usually err on the side of caution.
Be carefully on what some 30 something salesman tells you. You would be well advised to listen to the people here with real world experience.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #9

Thank Folks

Thanks for all the input. Clyon51, with all due respect, as I quickly approach 60 Something, I have learned that there are some "30 Somethings" that know more than me and I can learn something from them.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A third method would be to wire two 6v golf cart batteries parallel, then in series to achieve 12v with a third 6v.
I don't think that would work very well. You end up with a 460 AH in the two parallel 6v's and then series them to a single 230AH 6v. You end up with no more amp hours than with just two 6v's in series cause you can't get moire AH than the single battery provides.

There is nothing wrong with the Group 27 case size, but the typical battery sold in that size is only a hybrid marine/rv starting battery. If you bought a good deep cycle like a Trojan 27TMX in that size, it would last as well as any golf cart battery.

I'm one of those people who have successfully made a battery bank of two 6v in series plus one 12v deep cycle in parallel. If all are new, or at least in the same condition, it works well enough. I ran the motorhome for 4 years that way, then removed the 12v to use in my bass boat and got another 5 years of service from it (it was a Lifeline AGM, so a top-of-the-line battery).

Yes, it's true that best results come from exactly matching battery type, size and age, but if you are aware of what you are doing and keep the batteries and charging system in good shape, it is not harmful to take some liberties with the general rule. I would not be afraid to match a good quality deep cycle 12v with the golf cart batteries as you propose.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries