RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
OK, here's the stupid question of the day
Back in the old days when CBs were everywhere, you'd often see a car with a 12' (or so) whip antenna that was curved over and tied down to the back bumper of the car -usually with a tennis ball on it so that it would hit against the car.
Could you do something like that, tie your antenna down to something, giving it just enough of a curve that it's low enough that you don't have to worry about it any more.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Do you have a rear ladder on the MH? If so pull up to the power lines and before going under climb up the ladder and look along the roof line and see if the antenna clears with plenty of room. When in the driver's seat things look a lot closer to the roof then they are.

I know when I pull into some stations it looks like I'm going to have a clearance problem but when I get out and look I have always had over a 1' of clearance. I liked it when in the past filling stations had covers they always posted the height, now none of them do.

Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch50 View Post
Do you have a rear ladder on the MH? If so pull up to the power lines and before going under climb up the ladder and look along the roof line and see if the antenna clears with plenty of room. When in the driver's seat things look a lot closer to the roof then they are.

I know when I pull into some stations it looks like I'm going to have a clearance problem but when I get out and look I have always had over a 1' of clearance. I liked it when in the past filling stations had covers they always posted the height, now none of them do.
I can do this pretty easily since the antenna is right by the drivers door. When I first brought the coach home I had someone there helping me back into the driveway for the first time as I was nervous about the power lines. I haven't ever seen it for myself to see just how close I really am to them. Guess that will be the easiest. I cant imagine running into anything shorter than these wires except like you said, a filling station roof or possibly a low hanging branch.
bobbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:01 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Tie a string to the tip of the antenna run it through the window and pull the tip down a little when you need to
Old 04-14-2017, 06:31 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we have a portable handheld unit that works just fine and can be taken out of the coach if need be. Range is about 2 miles (supposedly) and didn't need to mount anything in the coach. We actually have 3 now and have one available for travel companions (in another vehicle) and small enough (with belt clips) that the kids can carry them in their pockets when on a hike, at the pool or walking around the park by themselves.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
My CB antenna is the same location as your and sticks up higher, Other than trees I have never had it hit anything, I kind of use it a gauge if it clears I know everything else will.
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:19 AM   #21

I could of swore there was a company that made a mount that swiveled? So that the mount itself rotated. Maybe I'm wrong.

EDIT: they do. Just googled 'CB antenna swivel mount' no idea how well they work, but should be able to lower the antenna when not in use. Then just raise back up. There might even be a company that makes them so you can adjust it from inside like you do a rear view mirror, look around might find something that works for ya.

nuget102 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio