Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2 Thetford toilet questions

I just took my 2003 National Seabreeze out this weekend for a shakedown. I have 2 questions about the toilet. I think it is a Thetford Aqua Magic. First, you can't push the pedal down half way to fill the bowl with water. As soon as you push on the pedal the ball in the bottom begins to open, so water just goes down the drain. Secondly, the bowl won't hold any water, even if you pour it in. I have read some other posts, but havent found the answer. Any help from experienced toilet fixers is appreciated.
BTW, everything else went pretty smooth.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #2

I had the same problem when I bought my `04. I removed the toilet and sat it on my bench. I determined that the cable was too long, so I took a split lock washer or maybe two, I forget, and split it further, slipped it on the cable at the very end and closed the gap in the washer. I also don't remember which end I put it/them on, but I think it was the pedal end. Now it works like it should.

Try some silicone grease on the bowl seal. Mine holds water.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not positive but I beleive you need to pull the lever up to add water. If the seal is bad they sell them in kits but on my 05 I called the company and they sent me a seal kit for free. This was two years ago so I don't know if they are still doing that.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #4

If Steve's is like mine, which it sounds like it is, when you push down, it pulls on the water valve lever and adds water. When you push further, it opens door and dumps the stuff that makes "Black" water.

I'm pretty sure pulling up is how I was able to add the washer. It puts more slack in the cable that connects to the water valve.

Steve, is it really a "ball" valve or just a flat disc that slides sideways like mine is?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
My 02 Dolphin has a Thetford toilet. Lifting up on the pedal adds water to the bowl. Mine will hold water until the zombie/alien apocolypse (or until it evaporates, whichever comes first). I have read that cleaning and lubing the seal will often fix the leaky bowl problem.

Suit up in your biohazard suit (you DO carry a biohazard suit in your RV, don't you?), and put on some heavy industrial rubber gloves. Open the dump valve, and wipe the seal off with a finger. When it's clean, apply some silicone grease to it, and to the ball as well if you like.

Be REALLY careful not to allow the ball to snap shut on your hand. Don't ask how I know.

(NOTE: Hawaiian shirt and flipflops can be substituted for the biohazard suit in a pinch, and regular household yellow rubber gloves will work in place of the industrial type, at your peril)
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #6

Just checked mine. There is no way the pedal can be pulled up. And... There are diagrams on the bottom side of the lid that shows pressing halfway down to add water and all the way to flush.

Steve, does your's have the diagrams? If so, my fix will work if it is a halfway down to add water and all the way to flush.

By the way, Ramblin, thanks for "making" me go check. I found my disconnect switch "on". Don't know how that happened. No biggie as I have the batts on BatteryMinders.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
...By the way, Ramblin, thanks for "making" me go check. I found my disconnect switch "on".
We aim to please! No extra charge.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #8

Was gonna ask if you took PayPal, but forget it now.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
If Steve's is like mine, which it sounds like it is, when you push down, it pulls on the water valve lever and adds water. When you push further, it opens door and dumps the stuff that makes "Black" water.

I'm pretty sure pulling up is how I was able to add the washer. It puts more slack in the cable that connects to the water valve.

Steve, is it really a "ball" valve or just a flat disc that slides sideways like mine is?
Looks like a ball to me. Its not flat. The guy at the RV dealer today also suggested that maybe pullling up may add water. I will try that tonight.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #10

Must be different than mine. Good luck. I liked the two lever one I had on my 5er.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just had a look at the toilet. Definitly can't pull up on the pedal. BTW, I think it is an Aria Classic. I'm thinking its time to pull the toilet. But something else really distubing. I dumped on Sunday, and when I looked down the hole today, I see paper and waste. I even flushed a bunch of water down there before I dumped to everything would drain OK. I heard plenty come out when I opend the dump valve so why do I see anything? The black tank reads full all of the time. The owner says it always does and I've heard that is not uncommon because sensors become fowled easily. Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #12

My grey showed 2/3 full all the time. It was a bad 14 pin IC on the display board. I replaced it with an IC I had in my spare electronics box. Don't know where/why I got it, but it now shows empty. Will know if it fixed it next trip(Oct).
Old 06-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #13

Could it be that the PO left his black valve open all the time at a CG and it built up the dreaded pyramid and you didn't fill it enough or long enough to dissolve it.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have two Thetford toilets. You pull up on the lever to fill.

Mine came with a thing that looks like a large fingernail file, made out of plastic, that you run into and through the seals to clean them.

I have to do that once a year or so to prevent the bowl from draining.

I've looked on the Thetford site for those seal cleaners and they no longer have them. Don't know why they did away with them as they work like a charm.