Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2 things

WELL AS i POSTED 3 DAYS AGO--HAD A TIRE FAILURE-tire shredded--did damage--Good Sams paid for it---TODAY HAD ANOTHER TIRE SHRED--OTHER SIDE INSIDE ON THE BACK---getting new tires all around tomorrow.What are the odds--wish I had these kind of odds at the lottery. 2nd thing--I know its been covered before--but beginning inApril I will need satillite for the MH from April through October. Which is best/ hassel -free dish or direct--have cable at home--but thinking of getting sat there too.---Vince

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wow. Glad nobody was hurt and hope it/they didn't do too much damage to the coach.

I didn't read the prior thread but sounds almost like it was sitting for a long time with old tires? A full set of new shoes should help you get be more confident next time you hit the road. You gotta be gettin' a little jumpy.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I am--just before this 2nd incident-I thought God--wouldnt it be bad if that happened again--then--like on que--bam--I am driving it to the tire center tomorrow--kinda worried --only gonna go 30-40 mph--Vince
Old 08-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #4

like already said a new set of shoes all around is in order. as far as the sat. question we have dish and it slightly cheaper than direct in the long run. have no complaints with it but with all sat systems during bad weather you will lose signal temporarily
rstarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #5

I have had direct tv for over ten years and love it.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #6

A search of the tech forum here should give you a month's worth of info and opinions.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vscoggin View Post
WELL AS i POSTED 3 DAYS AGO--HAD A TIRE FAILURE-tire shredded--did damage--Good Sams paid for it---TODAY HAD ANOTHER TIRE SHRED--OTHER SIDE INSIDE ON THE BACK---getting new tires all around tomorrow.What are the odds--wish I had these kind of odds at the lottery. 2nd thing--I know its been covered before--but beginning inApril I will need satillite for the MH from April through October. Which is best/ hassel -free dish or direct--have cable at home--but thinking of getting sat there too.---Vince
For SAT...you only want it for Apr-Oct?

Better not sign a contract.

Dish offers pay-as-you-go:
DISHForMyRV: DISH Mobile Satellite Systems & Pay-As-You-Go TV for RV, Tailgating, & the Great Outdoors

DIRECT doesnt have a plan equal to that.

We have cable at home and bundle, so SAT cant compete...but for thr RV, it was an easy pick for ease of use, a VERY easy to use portable dish (Tailgater) for when there are evil signal sucking shade trees, plus HD on the cheaper plans.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have Dish Network at home & in our RV. Dish charges us $10.00 additional per month for the receiver for the RV. (same programming is on both receivers) One great advantage we have with Dish is while traveling you just call them, give them the zip code you are at and they will change the local programming part of your service to that location, this way you can receive the local channels to your new location. You can do this whether you change locations daily or staying for an extended time. Then when you get home you call and change it back to your home zip code. There is no additional charge for this service and sure makes it nice to get local weather conditions & news when your traveling. Of course the zip code change, changes your local home channels, so this only works if no one is at your home that needs local channels. We have been customers of Dish for many years and have been very happy with their service.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
does that work with 2 tv"s on the MH watching different programs---Vince
Old 08-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Have had dish since 1998 in Motorhome and stick home. IMHO Dish is the way to go.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Without question Dish, Pay As You Go. We had Direct for years they went out of their way to screw us!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
I am surprised that you are surprised on the tires. I assume they all are the same age, so they should all start failing at roughly the same time.

When one of my tires fails, they ALL get replaced. 80/20 rule. 80% of tire troubles occur in the last 20% of tread life.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Just surprised me to have 2 failures in 3 days--after driving about 20 miles-after the first one went-I knew I had to change them and did this morning--Thanks --Vince
Old 08-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #14

As others have said both directv and dish will work. Do you already have one of them? IF so, your decision is made since adding a receiver is the cheapest option I know of.
To get HD with directv you cannot use one of the Dome's FYI BUT all of their SD programming is on one satellite so it has that advantage (where with Dish it may have to re-lock when you change channels).

Also, there IS something to be said about those portable units. I have a king dome for directv on my rig. Problem is that when we camp we go out of our way to be in and amongst treed for shade. Having a fixed-location antenna means more often then not we get zero reception. I am going camping this weekend and will go out of my way to TRY to get a directv signal by having the tv on while I park so if a minor adjustment will help I do it before I set up camp. May be a lost cause however as I know there are trees at the site we got... With one of them portable units you have lots more flexibility. With a dome like mine you can use it while you drive....

Chris

akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote