Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
20amp service question...........

I am going to be at a location that has 20amp only service for 1 1/2 days. I know that I can not run AC or other things, but my question is............

Can I plug in and turn on the TV for the grandkids without any other thing on safely? I have done this with my TT but not the coach with no harm.

Just wondering............
Fred420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
You should be able to run one a/c with no other large loads at the same time... no microwave, hair dryer, etc. Probably a/c and TV would work.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
You should be able to my TVs only have an Instantaneous draw of 8amps and continuous draw of 3amps
eightydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #4

You will be able to run your TV's and one air conditioner. Keep your fridge and water heater on gas. If you have basement air just turn off the #2 air at the breaker.

Don
Old 09-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstinch View Post
You will be able to run your TV's and one air conditioner. Keep your fridge and water heater on gas. If you have basement air just turn off the #2 air at the breaker.

Don
If you're able to run an AC on 20 amp service you'll be doing better than I've ever been able to do.

Each summer, we spend a month with my FIL at his little farm in Minnesota. We have only a 20 amp outlet for service.

I change my power selector on the EMS from the 30 amp it thinks it's getting to 20 amp. I also put the water heater and fridge on LP . We're able to run nearly everything in our 40DP on the 20 amp hook up except the high draw items like the vac, AC, microwave, fireplace, etc.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have merged the two threads you started on this topic since we do not allow duplicate threads on the forum.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
If you're able to run an AC on 20 amp service you'll be doing better than I've ever been able to do.

Each summer, we spend a month with my FIL at his little farm in Minnesota. We have only a 20 amp outlet for service.

I change my power selector on the EMS from the 30 amp it thinks it's getting to 20 amp. I also put the water heater and fridge on LP . We're able to run nearly everything in our 40DP on the 20 amp hook up except the high draw items like the vac, AC, microwave, fireplace, etc.

Rick
Have you tried leaving it set at 30, might also be your FIL's wiring. I ran the air all time at home on 20 rewired to 30 and run both.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Have you tried leaving it set at 30, might also be your FIL's wiring. I ran the air all time at home on 20 rewired to 30 and run both.
No, because my basement air hits a start up surge of 28 amps and I think the actual circuit I have to use is 15 and not 20 amp. It's an old farm house that's >100 years old and I don't want to put any more strain on the wiring than I have to.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #9

Hey Rick I know what your talking about, We spend a few weeks at a friends ranch and he has 20 amps where I plug in. there is about 500 feet to the plug all on #12 wire. I can't run ac or micro from out there. Tvs,ok. If I plug in to a different plug closer to the house I can run ac but not micro. At my house 20 amp I can run one ac but not micro. To much voltage drop. 15 amp plug won't work try plugging in at washer plug at house if you can.

Don
Old 09-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
You should be able to run one a/c with no other large loads at the same time... no microwave, hair dryer, etc. Probably a/c and TV would work.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #11

Trying to run one AC on a 20A circuit is a dicey proposition. Most folks don't carry a large enough extension cord (big enough wire in it, not the length), and the plug end adapters are so cheaply made they usually melt & short out after a while if you are pulling anything close to 20A.
If you try, feel every connection point to make sure it isn't heating up.
TV should not be a problem. Check to see that your batteries are charged up before you plug in so the charge draw will be low.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:07 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I also put the water heater and fridge on LP . We're able to run nearly everything in our 40DP on the 20 amp hook up except the high draw items like the vac, AC, microwave, fireplace, etc.
This is probably the best answer.

You might be able to run one air conditioner if you turn everything off, have excellent connections and heavy duty short cords, and you keep checking things to make sure nothing is heating up. Or you might not. But remember, just because the breaker doesn't immediately trip doesn't mean it's safe and you're not overloading the circuit. For long term use, according to electrical codes, you should only load a circuit to 80% of its capacity, which is 16 amps for a 20 amp circuit - code says full current should only be used for an hour or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
This is probably the worst answer. :(

Why would you ever set things up to intentionally draw 30 amps from a 20 amp circuit? That's a really bad idea. And what is that last sentence saying: please don't tell me that you substituted a 30 amp breaker on 20 amp wiring so you could intentionally overload the wiring. That's an incredibly bad idea!

I'll say it again: just because it works in the short term doesn't mean it's safe, especially in the long run.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
This is probably the best answer.

You might be able to run one air conditioner if you turn everything off, have excellent connections and heavy duty short cords, and you keep checking things to make sure nothing is heating up. Or you might not. But remember, just because the breaker doesn't immediately trip doesn't mean it's safe and you're not overloading the circuit. For long term use, according to electrical codes, you should only load a circuit to 80% of its capacity, which is 16 amps for a 20 amp circuit - code says full current should only be used for an hour or less.

This is probably the worst answer. :(

Why would you ever set things up to intentionally draw 30 amps from a 20 amp circuit? That's a really bad idea. And what is that last sentence saying: please don't tell me that you substituted a 30 amp breaker on 20 amp wiring so you could intentionally overload the wiring. That's an incredibly bad idea!

I'll say it again: just because it works in the short term doesn't mean it's safe, especially in the long run.
Get yourself a clamp on digital voltmeter capable of measuring AC amps and measure the current draw on all your appliances. Both peak and continuous operation draw. Then you will know *exactly* what you can and can't run on your 20 amp circuit.

This is the *right* answer 😉

Jeff
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
JRMEDPHYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMEDPHYS View Post
This is the *right* answer dde09
Yes it is!

I have two different current draw meters in my coach, one came standard, one I installed myself. I tend to forget that not all coaches come this way. When you're on limited power, it's important to know how much power you're actually using. That's the only way to really know if you're overloading the circuit (don't rely on the circuit breaker to protect you!)

I highly recommend the hard-wired EMS systems from Progressive Industries. I have the EMS-HWC and its been very helpful to me. There is a portable version that's better than nothing, but the hard wired units allow a display inside where you can keep an eye on the amp draw, among other info. Plus, it will automatically shut off the power if the voltage gets dangerously low due to overloading an extension cord.

But regardless of what you use to do it, knowing your actual power usage is very important when on limited power.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service