Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #1

2000 Continental Panther 425 questions?

Sorry for the long post. But, I wanted to give a little background on myself as this is my first post on this forum. Been lurking and reading for the past month or so. I have been around RVs all my life, but this is the first motor home. Most of my personal vehicles are diesel also, so not much new there. I teach high school automotive, so the mechanical side I understand also. I'm just not familiar with the control systems (generator, inverter, leveling system) of a motor home and their uses both traveling and while hooked up. Not much plans for boon-docking, so will be using shore power and facilities at campgrounds once I'm there.

I am about to go purchase a 2000 Continental Panther 425 with the 455 HP C12 Cat engine with about 77k miles. It is 42 feet, 2 slides, and side entry more in the middle of the body. The tires (don't know brand or model) and batteries are a year old and several other items inside have been upgraded. It is unfortunately out in the state of Washington and I live in Illinois. My kids and I are going to fly out there to drive it home (1800+ miles) next week. The owner had it in storage til today so he can make sure it is ready to go. He is taking it to his mechanic to give it a once over this week also.

Questions:

1. What pressure should I run the tires at? I know the load will be light (about 50 gallons fresh water), but want to make sure good for the long haul home.

2. I have an EEZ TPMS system to put on it. Hopefully airport security will let me through with it in my back pack. Can I get the sensors on all the factory aluminum wheels or do I need adapters or remove the outer duals to put on the inner sensors?

3. Does the generator have to be running to run the hot water heat system while driving? Will probably have some cool areas were driving through on the way home.

4. Does the alternator charge the house batteries also while driving?

5. I'm assuming the generator will need to be on to use the house A/C while driving due to the electrical demand?

6. Anything else I should look at on this particular coach?

I have no problems walking away from the coach if I find too much wrong, but the price is great if everything is as described and pictured. I will be posting the same info on Safari friends also, so if you frequent both, no need to post on both. Thanks to all that read this and to those with suggestions and responses.

Chuck Vedder
Chuckv309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #2

Questions:

1. What pressure should I run the tires at? I know the load will be light (about 50 gallons fresh water), but want to make sure good for the long haul home. I would ask what tires on the coach, download inflation chart, weigh coach & inflate properly. No short cut here.

2. I have an EEZ TPMS system to put on it. Hopefully airport security will let me through with it in my back pack. Can I get the sensors on all the factory aluminum wheels or do I need adapters or remove the outer duals to put on the inner sensors? You should have no problem getting the sensors on all positions including inner duals.

3. Does the generator have to be running to run the hot water heat system while driving? Will probably have some cool areas were driving through on the way home. Don't need genny for heat you either have hydronic (probably) or LP furnace.

4. Does the alternator charge the house batteries also while driving? Yes

5. I'm assuming the generator will need to be on to use the house A/C while driving due to the electrical demand? Yes need genny to make power for AC demand. Otherwise have inverter on for smaller 110 volt needs.

6. Anything else I should look at on this particular coach? Awesome coach with big power. I believe aluminum skin but I might be wrong. If aluminum check condition for electrolysis.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Bill answered your questions well.
Things to check:
Check the refrigerator for amonia smell. It's probably a Norcold 1200. There is a recall and a class action law suit involving the Norcold 1200 series. If it has the recall box installed and it works, just be careful and monitor it closely.
Check ALL the tire dates yourself.
Having a TPMS is great.
Hopefully the previous owner has weighed the coach and can give you the proper tire pressures.
Check all AC units for cooling and if heat pumps, check for heat.
Check the Aqua Hot on both diesel and electric.
Check the bottoms of the slide outs for water damage.
Check the outside walls for delamination and heat checking (especially in dark colors).
The Cat C12 is a great motor! Find a Speedco along your route and have the oil changed, fuel filters changed, and chassis lubed. Go under the coach with the tech and check everything and make sure he doesn't miss any zerks.
Check the wet bay floor for water damage.
Check the generator starts, runs, and carries the load with all AC's on.
Look for serious rust or corrosion underneath the coach.
Check the radiator closely.
Ask if the coolant has been checked recently, but get a kit and check the SCA yourself.
Ask if the previous owner has changed the transmission over to Allison synthetic Transynd fluid? This can be expensive.
Plan on updating the TV and electronics.
Check the windshield around the top corners for sealing.
Check the leveling system.
Carefully check the roof for damage or leaks.
Hope this helps.

This should be an adventure. Have fun!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #4

The fridge has been swapped to a residential model. Fluids and filters were done shortly before going into storage. Will check on the trans fluid change over. The Tv's were already changed too
Chuck
Chuckv309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckv309 View Post
Sorry for the long post. But, I wanted to give a little background on myself as this is my first post on this forum. Been lurking and reading for the past month or so. I have been around RVs all my life, but this is the first motor home. Most of my personal vehicles are diesel also, so not much new there. I teach high school automotive, so the mechanical side I understand also. I'm just not familiar with the control systems (generator, inverter, leveling system) of a motor home and their uses both traveling and while hooked up. Not much plans for boon-docking, so will be using shore power and facilities at campgrounds once I'm there.

I am about to go purchase a 2000 Continental Panther 425 with the 455 HP C12 Cat engine with about 77k miles. It is 42 feet, 2 slides, and side entry more in the middle of the body. The tires (don't know brand or model) and batteries are a year old and several other items inside have been upgraded. It is unfortunately out in the state of Washington and I live in Illinois. My kids and I are going to fly out there to drive it home (1800+ miles) next week. The owner had it in storage til today so he can make sure it is ready to go. He is taking it to his mechanic to give it a once over this week also.

Questions:

1. What pressure should I run the tires at? I know the load will be light (about 50 gallons fresh water), but want to make sure good for the long haul home.
The only way to know that for sure is to have the rig weighed, preferably all four corners. Then you can go to the tire manufacturer's pressure chart for that particular tire. I add 5 PSI to what the chart recommends.

2. I have an EEZ TPMS system to put on it. Hopefully airport security will let me through with it in my back pack. Can I get the sensors on all the factory aluminum wheels or do I need adapters or remove the outer duals to put on the inner sensors?
Can't answer that. Some inners are hard to get to!

3. Does the generator have to be running to run the hot water heat system while driving? Will probably have some cool areas were driving through on the way home.
If you're referring to the water heater, then the answer is no. You can run it on propane.

4. Does the alternator charge the house batteries also while driving?
I believe the alternator only charges the chassis batteries.

5. I'm assuming the generator will need to be on to use the house A/C while driving due to the electrical demand?
That is correct.

6. Anything else I should look at on this particular coach?

I have no problems walking away from the coach if I find too much wrong, but the price is great if everything is as described and pictured. I will be posting the same info on Safari friends also, so if you frequent both, no need to post on both. Thanks to all that read this and to those with suggestions and responses.

Chuck Vedder
Hi Chuck! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hopefully the answers above will help some.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:03 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Before buying that coach have it weighed if it is a single axle rear. With the big Cat motor some of those coaches came out of the factory already overweight on the rear axle