Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2016, 06:37 AM   #1

2000 Fleetwood 8.3 died and wont start

I recently purchased a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery with an 8.3 300HP Cummins. We took it on our first trip 2.5 hours away and it ran perfectly. When we returned home we stopped to drop off one of the passengers and when I released the parking brake and put it into gear it just died. It will now crank but will not fire. The water separator was just changed when I bought it and there wasn't any water in it. I changed the filter on the engine and bled it off the best I could. I loosened 4 of the 6 lines to the motor to bleed the pump off. I am only getting fuel on the number 4 and 6 cylinder so far. I can get it to fire on Ether but not on its own fuel. It just seemed like there was a safety or something that shut the fuel off when it died. I filled it up 10 minutes before it died so I know its full. Does anyone know if there is a pump in the tank on this unit? If so should you be able to hear it? I can hear some clicking by the tank but that is all. Any help would be appreciated.
ChadatHCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not sure this is your problem but one thing I would check is the fuel shutoff solenoid. These are prone to failure on the 8.3 (not horribly prone but mine has been replaced twice). If it's starting to fail it may be opening part way or not at all..if you can watch it move while someone else turns the key it's helpful. Definitely sounds like a fuel problem so this is the first place I'd look. Good news is that if that's the problem you can just ziptie it in the run position until you get home the clip the tie and it will shutoff.

Link to picture cummins 8.3 turbo - won't shut off - Wanderlodge Owners Group
or search google images - basically the solenoid is mounted to/right next to the injector pump.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
Not sure this is your problem but one thing I would check is the fuel shutoff solenoid. These are prone to failure on the 8.3 (not horribly prone but mine has been replaced twice). If it's starting to fail it may be opening part way or not at all..if you can watch it move while someone else turns the key it's helpful. Definitely sounds like a fuel problem so this is the first place I'd look. Good news is that if that's the problem you can just ziptie it in the run position until you get home the clip the tie and it will shutoff.

Link to picture cummins 8.3 turbo - won't shut off - Wanderlodge Owners Group
or search google images - basically the solenoid is mounted to/right next to the injector pump.
Yep, I had the same problem and fixed it by replacing the fuel solenoid. The solenoid is relatively cheap and easy to install. Hopefully that is your only problem too. Good luck!
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #4

After further investigation by calling Freightliner with the VIN the engine is a 5.9 275 horsepower and not the 8.3 300 horsepower like the dealer told me. With that being said I do not think that it has a fuel shut off solenoid that can be changed out. Please let me know if I am wrong but this is what I think. I have made some calls to local shops and gear heads and everyone is telling me that it is the injector pump. I would like to think that it would not just go out instantly like that with no warning. Has anyone else ever experienced this issue on their 5.9? Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #5

I worked at a Dodge dealership that used the 5.9; 24 valve engine, and replaced many of the VP-44 injector pumps in trucks that got towed to the shop with the " it just died " complaint.
These 5.9 engines are equipped with an electric lift pump, to move fuel from the tank to the injector pump, and if that pump fails the injector pump will starve for fuel and fail in VERY short order.

EDIT: If your purchase paperwork , states that the coach was a 8.3 Cummins equipped, unit ; you may have a case to make them take it back due to miss-representation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BOSCH VP44 INJECTION PUMP FAILURES EXPLAINED.pdf (32.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: pdf bosch-vp44-installation-instructions.pdf (182.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-16-2016, 09:17 AM   #6

After reading lots of forums and tracking down wires I have proved that the injector pump is not bad. I found a great company that has a ton of information about the vp44 pumps. Here is the link. If you ever have a question these guys were extremely helpful and great to work with.
http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44_diagnostics.html

After all of that being said I found 3 fuses that were blown in the battery compartment and now can get the engine to start but is throwing the code 364 which is no communication from the ecm to the pump. I found a loose ground on the pump plug and have fixed that but still get the code. Does anyone know if the code will stay until I take it and have it cleared or will it eventually clear itself? Is there a way to clear it without a scanner? Thanks
Old 03-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadatHCH View Post
After reading lots of forums and tracking down wires I have proved that the injector pump is not bad. I found a great company that has a ton of information about the vp44 pumps. Here is the link. If you ever have a question these guys were extremely helpful and great to work with.
http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44_diagnostics.html

After all of that being said I found 3 fuses that were blown in the battery compartment and now can get the engine to start but is throwing the code 364 which is no communication from the ecm to the pump. I found a loose ground on the pump plug and have fixed that but still get the code. Does anyone know if the code will stay until I take it and have it cleared or will it eventually clear itself? Is there a way to clear it without a scanner? Thanks
How are you pulling the code without a scanner (dash blinking light or something?) If it is running/working fine I would think it's a stored (non-active) code which may/may not go away but doesn't affect anything. It's been a while since I've had a vp44 but I wouldn't think it would do anything without being able to talk to the ecm but honestly it's been 15 yrs since I messed with one.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadatHCH View Post
After all of that being said I found 3 fuses that were blown in the battery compartment and now can get the engine to start but is throwing the code 364 which is no communication from the ecm to the pump. I found a loose ground on the pump plug and have fixed that but still get the code. Does anyone know if the code will stay until I take it and have it cleared or will it eventually clear itself? Is there a way to clear it without a scanner? Thanks]
In years of dealing with the VP-44 pump and Cummins ECMs , I'd never had either unit blow fuses.
You say you can get the engine to start, BUT , are you able to drive the coach or increase the RPM with the throttle ?
Our shop scan tool would tell us the " number of starts since set " for every code, so we could tell if the fault was still active; if your CEL is not on; indicating the fault is not active; and you can drive the coach , the code should migrate out of memory after a large ( 100+ ) number of engine start ups.

Tags
fleetwood