Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #1

2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral 34`

Hello everybody,I am recently retired and new to both motorhome land and forums.
I am not all that proficient with computers either and I did not mean to delete the welcoming message from somebody.Sorry about that.

I need some advice from people who know about motorhomes.I am looking at at a 2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral 34`with a 454 Chevy engine and a 2002 Coachman Leprechaun 31 `with Ford E450 chassis with V-10 engine.
The price is essentially the same.Is there anything I should look out for or stay away from.Are these brands OK?

Any opinions from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #2

I've owned a 2001 HR Admiral 36' on a Workhorse chassis with the 496 (8.1) engine and Allison 1000 transmission since 2005 and couldn't be happier.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHoser View Post
Hello everybody,I am recently retired and new to both motorhome land and forums.
I am not all that proficient with computers either and I did not mean to delete the welcoming message from somebody.Sorry about that.

I need some advice from people who know about motorhomes.I am looking at at a 2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral 34`with a 454 Chevy engine and a 2002 Coachman Leprechaun 31 `with Ford E450 chassis with V-10 engine.
The price is essentially the same.Is there anything I should look out for or stay away from.Are these brands OK?

Any opinions from anyone would be greatly appreciated!
WELCOME to iRV2.com.

I'm thinking you are looking at apples and oranges. I believe the HR is a Class A on a Workhorse chassis and the Leprechaun is a Class C on a Ford "cutaway" chassis. If so, then they will be vastly different, even if priced the same. IMO, they are getting a little "long in the tooth", so you should expect to begin replacing things, if not done recently.

You don't say how the coach will be used, or what the mileage is, but I think a lot more info is needed to get good feedback. IMO, they are both decent quality construction....for an RV.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #4

Retired,
I find it’s all about the Allison transmission that comes with the Workhorse chassis. We spend the winter in the mountains skiing; I believe the Allison transmission gives me more control.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4youngbergs View Post
Retired,
I find itís all about the Allison transmission that comes with the Workhorse chassis. We spend the winter in the mountains skiing; I believe the Allison transmission gives me more control.
I completely agree, BUT unfortunately, the OP is looking at a 2000 MY which he says has the 454 cu.in. motor. THOSE chassis did not have an Allison. The 454" means its on a P32 chassis with the GM 4L80-E 4 speed tranny.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #6

The Ford V10 engine with Alison would be the better choice, to me. Both are much more capable than the other one.

Still, you will do yourself a favor, especially now with the cold weather hitting and buying dropping off, to have the one you select fully inspected for engine/trans/chassis issues. Also, check REAL close for any water damage. You could be buying into a long list of repairs.

I just bought a 1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 37WDS diesel pusher with a Cummins 5.9l. It needed a lot of repairs to sort out all the regular maint items. I knew this going in. Still, ran into a few surprises that cost extra.

Thank God that my brother in law knows a Cummins mechanic that works on mine for $30 an hour...talk about a deal...

Just had him replace the oil, fuel filter, dryer filter, pan gasket, air filter, along with a few exhaust clamps and the pipe that's connected to the exhaust side of the turbo. That all came to about $600 for everything. When he was under the coach, he noticed that the air spitter for the air tanks was bleeding a slight bit of air. That repair is going to take place this weekend and could run from $100-$600 depending on which part is bad.

These coaches are old and need attention...every year..it's a givin. Yet, I just don't have the income to afford a $250+ coach. So, I'll take the $ repairs when they come and just be happy I don't have a $2k note on mine. In fact, I budget $1k a year for maint at the minimum, as it will happen.

It's the nature of the beast. New stuff breaks and old stuff breaks more often...
Old 11-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #7

lots of info

Thanks everyone for the info. I realize I have a lot to learn in order to make an informed purchase.I may have waited too long to start looking for a unit as there is already snow on the ground. I do not think it will stay but I know for sure it will be back.
I will be back also as I have some questions on diesels vs gas, transmissions and chassis.I have to read a little bit more before I ask. Thanks again!

Tags
holiday rambler