Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #15
Thor Owners Club
We have no solution to the problem. The tech drove the rig with the A/C running and could not duplicate the problem. I know cars do that when mechanics drive them so RV's must do the same thing!

Thank you to all who offered suggestions. The rig was at the shop when most of you answered and I shared all of them with my tech. He said I hadn't reached in far enough to find there are two breakers on the generator. The one that supplies power to the rig had kicked. But he could not get it to kick again so maybe it was one of those little fluke things? I hope so.

Turbo38sfi, I love the idea of closing the bedroom door to keep the air more in the front of the rig and we do have two fans mounted up front so that will help. However, driving shirtless may not work too well for me as I am a female! I am looking for a pair of scrub pants because we have leather seats up front (from a Holiday Rambler) and my legs stick to them!

We are getting ready to make a 7-8 hour drive in a few weeks so I'll let ev everyone know how it did. Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

Taz (Krista)

Firetaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
By your post, I believe you do have a solution, one of the generator breakers kicked off probably due to overload. It is now back on. So when running genset for AC on the road, make sure you limit any other 120v usage,, like refrigerator (run it on propane), water heater (run it on propane). Don't use microwave, etc. Best of luck keeping it cool. We are doing a trip from central Texas to northern Arkansas starting 9-21 so we will be running genset also. Maybe even running two air conditioners if needed. Have to keep DW and 16 paws happy.

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
Thanks for posting an update. Ronspradley gave good advice to limit 110 usage to just the AC. I assume your 30q is like mine with only one roof ac and even if it does have two can only run one at a time anyway.

If the MH is already HOT when you take off it will stay hot for a long time regardless. So try to get it cool before you go.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #18
Tiffin Owners Club
Since you now know that it was the generator mounted circuit breaker that had tripped, it would be even better to find out why it tripped since that can be reset by you. As mentioned before, my Hurricane 32A would trip the genny breaker when the microwave was used if both AC units were on. I have seen at least one other poster who had the same problem (don't remember if it was a Thor). The good thing about knowing what causes the tripping is that it will be easier to avoid, especially while rolling down the road.
Dewey & Sharon
Southern Maryland suburbs of DC
2015 Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #19
Thor Owners Club
I guess I did have a solution after all, good point! I'm just going to make sure the fridge stays on LP, close the bedroom door, run the two mounted fans, and set the thermostat at a tolerable temp. Then I will keep my fingers crossed for a stress free trip. Thanks again for all of the helpful comments. I appreciate being able to chat with someone who have or has had the same rig as mine.

Krista and Linda 2000 Thor Hurricane, flat towing a Honda CRV or a trailer with our 1986 Honda Goldwing SEi.
Firetaz is offline   Reply With Quote

generator, hurricane