Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
2000 Hurricane A/C shuts of on Generator

Hello,

I have a 2000 30Q Thor Hurricane which I purchased last fall. This weekend was the first time we tried to run the coach A/C while driving. The generator was operating properly and the A/C was doing fine for about 30 minutes. After that, it shut off and not even the fan would come on. It happened on both directions, to and from the campground. When plugged in at the campground, all was well with the A/C.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #2

What shot off the generator or the air conditioning

Old 07-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #3

circuit breaker on genny?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Check and see if you 120 volts at your receptacles when the AC quit. I had a 2000 Damon and a board on the Generator would heat up after 20 - 30 minutes of running.

What type and size Generator?
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:08 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Found out in my previous Hurricane 32A that we couldn't run both AC's and the microwave on the genny without blowing the breaker on the genny. Since you say it did it both ways, do you mean that your got about 30 minutes before the AC stopped again (a second time) when you were heading home? If so and you never physically reset the genny breaker the first time, I would agree with the comment about an overheating board or circuit somewhere. If on the other hand, the AC has not run with the genny since the first time it stopped, I would start by looking at the breakers.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If the breaker tripped, that would shut off the power and kill the AC. It would not however kill the engine on the generator. If the fuel tank was always above 1/3 tank, then I would suspect it overheated.

On some coaches, this is a common problem in hot weather running the genny going down the road with a good load on it (AC).

Over certain years and models, mfgs have placed the gennys in bad positions to keep them cool. Years ago the gennys were placed with a louvered bay door so cool air could be pulled in from the side of the coach. That practice eventually gave way to "looks".

With no cool air from the side of the coach, all the cooling air must come from under the coach. With a hot day, hot road surface, heat from engine, trans, exaust system and a hard working genny, it overheats and shuts down.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I could not find a breaker tripped, the A/C just shut down while we were driving. We have been told, by several people, to turn on the genny, then run the coach A/C because the chassis A/C won't be enough to keep the rig cool while we are traveling (and it isn't) The genny kept running, only the A/C shut down. When we noticed it was off, we pulled off and not even the fan would come on. But when we got home and went on electric, the A/C worked.

If it overheated, would it not trip the breaker? Does anyone know if I can get a louvered bay door? I'm more concerned with keeping thing cool than I am looks.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Here's how it works... With genny running and AC working fine all of course is good. If AC quits and no fan or anything (includes any 120v items in the coach), you have lost 120v power from the genny. So, 1 of 4 things happened. 1) the breaker(s) tripped on the genny and it would still be running. 2) the genny shut down/quit - fuel tank down in the 1/4 to 1/3 level and genny ran out of gas. 3) genny shut down/quit - overheated. 4) the transfer switch failed (genny running, no power) . This is only if you do not have to plug the power cord into an outlet in the power bay to get genny power.

Since the genny did not shut down, you can eliminate 2 & 3 above. My guess is you checked breakers in the coach and not those on the genny. Check them now and report back.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetaz View Post
I could not find a breaker tripped, the A/C just shut down while we were driving. We have been told, by several people, to turn on the genny, then run the coach A/C because the chassis A/C won't be enough to keep the rig cool while we are traveling (and it isn't) The genny kept running, only the A/C shut down. When we noticed it was off, we pulled off and not even the fan would come on. But when we got home and went on electric, the A/C worked.

If it overheated, would it not trip the breaker? Does anyone know if I can get a louvered bay door? I'm more concerned with keeping thing cool than I am looks.
There is no need for a louvered bay door if your generator was still running. The problem is apparently not the generator, but likely a breaker as others have suggested.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
The breakers in the coach are not tripped and the fridge was working fine on the genny. I've gong through everyone's suggestions and can't seem to figure it out. I have to take it to the shop today for a new thermostat on the H2O heater so I will have my tech check it out.

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The breakers we are talking about are NOT in the coach. There are two of them right on the front of the generator itself. One says 30a and the other says 20a.

If both are not tripped, you could have a bad transfer switch. I hope you check these before you get to the shop, or you could get soaked!
Old 07-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
clyon51, I will check those breakers again. I had a look at them after it happened and they appeared to be ok, but I'll check them again.

And I have no worries about being soaked as I use a small shop that two brothers took over from their grandfather. They are well known as fair and honest guys and when I had an issue that they had worked on, they would not take a dime for making a house call. Even after the problem was nothing to do with the work they had done, they just wanted me to be happy and able to use the rig. I don't know of many other shops that wouldn't want money for a service call, specifically when it had nothing to do with their work! I love them!
Old 07-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #13

Please report back on what you find. I have the same unit as you and would like to know for future reference. Good luck.

PS, how do you know the fridge was working on the genny? It will auto switch to gas if the power is interrupted.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #14

I had this same coach a few years back. Same thing happened to me also. Ac would run fine but trip if you run something else, like the microwave. There is a breaker in the genny itself as others have mentioned.

Also, as you have discovered, that one roof mount is not enough to cool you! Mine was setup for 2 rooftop acs, but only had one. Mine was a ford v10 and it put out some serious heat. I would drive shirtless with bedroom door closed and a oscillating fan to keep cool. It really needs another rooftop to be comfy.

Tags
generator, hurricane