Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #1

2000 Itasca Horizon vs 2002 Seebreeze

All,

We are trying to decide between two older DP's in the same general price range. Wanted to get some opinions from owners of the respective coaches and folks with DP experience. Mainly is it better to go with a slightly newer coach (with better mileage) or a "higher end" coach with a few more years on it. The two units are in question are the 2000 Itasca Horizon (Cat 330) and a 2002 National Seebreeze (Cummings 260).

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2011, 05:01 AM   #2

2 years age diff on a diesel coach is not a big deal, nor or the miles, On the Horzion you will be getting a C7 Cat and a 6 sp MD 3060 allison trans which is bullet proof, and the company is still around for parts and support. On the National you get 5.9 Cummins and more than likely a 5sp Allison, and National has been gone for a while. Both are likely Freightliner Chassis. More importantly, look at the overall condition of the coach, and which fits your needs. I have seen some 10 year old coaches that are in better shape than a 3 year old one. Good luck.

bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm a Winnebago guy so I'm bias toward the brand. I'm also at GNR this week (Winnebago's Grand National Rally) and was talking yesterday with a guy that has an '03 Journey with that same drivetrain (Cat/Allison) and he stated he wouldn't trade it for a brand new one (which we just walked through!). He absolutely loves his coach and claims he gets 10.5 mpg pulling a 6,000 lb. vehicle. The Winn. company is strong because they build a top quality motorhome and also have great customer support. Having said all that, a lot of looking for an older coach is figuring out what type of care and maintenance it has had. Some people are very religious (even fanatical) about it , others not so much!
I wouldn't be in a hurry if I were you, remember that this is a long term commitment and you want to get it right the first time. No matter what brand you go with, you need to make sure the floorplan works for you. Good luck and let us know when you pull the trigger!
Rod
Old 07-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #4

Thanks for the input guys, your knowledge is appreciated. We are taking it slow and we will let you know which one we pull the trigger on.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #5

All,

Ended up going with the Sea Breeze Bus based on the dealer. The Itasca was indeed a nicer coach and I could tell it was built better. The big factor was the dealers, one really worked with us and one I could not even get to call me back. Thanks for the input
Old 07-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #6

One would think that any dealer would "pounce" on a chance to make a sale these days. I'll usually give a dealer two calls/emails, and if I don't get a response after the second one I rarely go back. This applies to nearly everything that I might want to buy.

Unless you are wanting to buy a brand new coach, there are generally at least two dealerships you can shop. If one doesn't want your business, maybe the other one does. Also, for full-timers, buying from a local dealer isn't that great of an issue. When we're fulltiming in a couple of years, "local" is wherever we happen to be at the moment. Should some unknown kind person bless us with a couple hundred thousand dollars, and we decide to buy a new coach, I'm more likely to shop the dealer closest to the factory if the factory doesn't sell direct.
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
One would think that any dealer would "pounce" on a chance to make a sale these days. I'll usually give a dealer two calls/emails, and if I don't get a response after the second one I rarely go back. This applies to nearly everything that I might want to buy.

Unless you are wanting to buy a brand new coach, there are generally at least two dealerships you can shop. If one doesn't want your business, maybe the other one does. Also, for full-timers, buying from a local dealer isn't that great of an issue. When we're fulltiming in a couple of years, "local" is wherever we happen to be at the moment. Should some unknown kind person bless us with a couple hundred thousand dollars, and we decide to buy a new coach, I'm more likely to shop the dealer closest to the factory if the factory doesn't sell direct.
Our coach was on consignment at a dealership about 100 miles from where we live. I wasn't real thrilled with the dealership or the salesman, but I was with the coach and the price. Since we live about 100 miles from the Winnebago factory in Forest City IA. (interstate all the way!), I'll be taking it there for any work I need done.
Congratulations Rick on your new coach! Since you ended up with an "orphan" coach you won't have the option of factory support, but if you have a good dealership for support you'll be just fine. Motorhomes are nothing more than a bunch of brand name components put together that each have their own support. Good luck and happy travels!
Rod

Tags
itasca