Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2014, 09:10 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2000 Monaco heater core

Has anyone ever replaced their heater core, or know how? Or maybe a link to some information site? When I bought ours used, I knew it would need one because it was disconnected. I do all my own maintenance to a certain level and know I can do this, just would like some directions or instructions. I know a lot of people don't bother to replace this item and run the coach furnace, but I would really like mine fixed.
Thanks
Keith
kljtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 09:48 PM   #2

2000 Monaco heater core

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1414813542.427092.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	77963
See if this will help. I purchased a subscription to Alldatadiy and Chilton. Between the two I changed my power steering pump on my 97 Ford F53. If the pic does show let me know. Don't know if it this work for you but the above subscription might help for anyone that works on their own engine and chassis
Old 11-01-2014, 07:14 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I had mine rebuilt. It is bear to get to.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Look on the unit itself and see if there is a manufacturer and model number to see if you can contact them for a schematic on how it is assembled. It would be best if the heater core can be removed from the out side, assuming you have access to it. If the dash has to be removed you will have a job cut out for you.

The unit will have the AC condenser & heater core & fan with housing and baffle assembly that diverts air through each of these. Hopefully the heater core is easily accessible but my guess is that it is not.

Just changed a heater core in a 1989 GMC suburban and it was a PITA, had to disassemble from the cab side. The plastic duct work and housing were initially installed as a unit with no way of taking apart without removing the whole dash. I had to cut a large rectangular hole to get to the heater core and then I had to makeshift a way to hold everything back together.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #5

Your question is far too broad. You didn't specify which Monaco; Gas or DP, and who made the chassis?. If your coach is a gas, it might be based on the GM step-van chassis like my Safari Trek. My heater core was inside a plastic housing on the outside of the firewall. The housing is thermoplastic which means it can be re-melted, so I used the blade from an electric soldering iron to cut an access hole in the heater core housing and was able to remove and replace the core relatively easily and tape the housing piece back in place. If you have the right gas chassis, a heater core replacement may be found here: https://www.millsupply.com/stepvan-parts/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kljtn View Post
Has anyone ever replaced their heater core, or know how? Or maybe a link to some information site? When I bought ours used, I knew it would need one because it was disconnected. I do all my own maintenance to a certain level and know I can do this, just would like some directions or instructions. I know a lot of people don't bother to replace this item and run the coach furnace, but I would really like mine fixed.
Thanks
Keith
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, monaco