Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #1

2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit info

If anyone has any brochures or, better yet, owners manuals for such a coach I would greatly appreciate a copy, or just an opporunity to chat and ask some questions....

thanks!

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #2

Hello Steve,
We had a Mountain High Summit serial #2 which we bought in Oct 1999 and sold in 2005. At the time we were traveling full-time in the coach, and this was the livable coach we ever owned. That is not to say it didn't have problems, many due to being the second production coach built by MH. The three biggest problems were: the levelers, had to replace all four due to broken brackets or hydraulic fluid leaks; felt spacers in the double paned windows failed; fuel line developed a leak and the engine wouldn't start. I would guess that these problems would already be fixed in an 12 year old coach.

That being said we enjoyed our years travelling in this coach. I may have a brochure but it would be in storage l'll look to see if it's still there.

Dick Manning

Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
If anyone has any brochures or, better yet, owners manuals for such a coach I would greatly appreciate a copy, or just an opporunity to chat and ask some questions....

thanks!

Steve
We, too, are looking for this info. Have you had any luck finding this info, Steve?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #4

Steve, here's a couple of links where Summit DP's are listed for sale:

2001 Mountain High Coachworks Summit #3990, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale By Owner in Charlotte, North Carolina | RVT.com - 111686

http://http://www.campingworld.com/r...49/Summit/289/

They were built by the same outfit that built our 2000 Residency then went out of business sometime in 2001.

I know they were built on the Spartan chassis, and now wish I had gotten a brochure on it. I have the brochures on all their gas models as well as the 5th wheel they built.

When we bought our Residency, we would really liked to have bought one, but at the time out of our price range.

All I can say, our Residency built by Mountain has been and is still a great coach.

Good luck with your search..

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #5

I actually did just recently manage to get at least the sales brochure, which is better than nothing.

I will try and attach it... at least I might know what size tanks I have now, although I question if I actually have a 150 gallon diesel tank since the fuel gauge is well below 1/2 when it takes just 70 gallons!

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf motor home Literature 1.pdf (388.8 KB, 381 views)
File Type: pdf motor home Literature 2.pdf (421.5 KB, 314 views)
File Type: pdf motor home Literature 3.pdf (348.5 KB, 279 views)
File Type: pdf motor home Literature 4.pdf (444.4 KB, 275 views)
Old 05-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #6

So Steve, how do you like your Summit? The 3990 2-FTV floor plan is the same living room floor plan we have in our Residency gas model 3790 except we have a mid-entry.

Regarding that fuel gauge reading, your in-tank sending unit may be off a bit.

Jim

Old 05-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #7

We absolutely love the floorplan! Being the light oak and with big windows it is very airy and light up front... my wife was insistent on "no man caves." We had been looking at Alfa's for those reasons but the actual layout of the Summit plus the superior build quality (solid oak cabinetry, etc) instantly won us over.

My biggest annoyance right now is that there's no cupholders when you are driving! But I am working up a fix for that

With the fuel, I may look into that, although in reality the 70-80 gallons useful that the gauge shows is already twice the range of our previous gas rig, and I'm still adjusting to seeing $300+ on the pump not even filling it!

Steve
Old 05-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #8

Thanks, Steve, that helps. If we find anything more we will advise you so we can share.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #9

Steve, We, too, just noticed we don't have any cup holders and nothing on the passenger side for a cup, maps, GPS, etc. What are you doing to solve the problem? Thanks for your help Phil in Denver
Old 05-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #10

Phil,

I'm trying to sort out a small portable "cube" table that we can set between the seats while driving. I had tried a small ice chest, but it was a little too slippy and started wandering about under braking. Also, it wasn't really tall enough.

Steve
Old 05-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
Phil,

I'm trying to sort out a small portable "cube" table that we can set between the seats while driving. I had tried a small ice chest, but it was a little too slippy and started wandering about under braking. Also, it wasn't really tall enough.

Steve
That a good idea! Thx!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #12

Hi all,
I am buying my son a motorhome within the next couple days. I have narrowed it down between a 2000 Mountain High Summit double slide, and a 2004 Alfa See ya. I have read about the troubles with the Alfa's and I believe for what he will use it for it will be ok. The coach is going to basically be used a few months at a time just to live in and drive and park it. I am not concerned with basement air as many have pointed out because my Newell cools fine.
Any info and opinions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
Old 05-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #13

Insofar as we own a Mountain High Coachworks gas Residency, I'm strongly biased toward their product. For me it would be a no-brainer, the Summit in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your choice and safe travels...

Old 05-25-2012, 02:23 AM   #14

The Alfa reputation for skin delamination is always a concern. As far as basement air, I'm not saying it's bad, but in other coaches I've seen it vents up to the roof and then blows down inside the coach. On the Alfa owners groups (on Yahoo message boards) more than one person has complained they can't keep the coach cool in hot conditions (100+ degrees).

One definite plus to the Alfa is that it has more storage in the bedroom, but as you can imagine that comes at a cost elsewhere (since space is finite). Since we consider a 2 week trip "very long" at this point in our lives that wasn't a consideration for us...

Steve