Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #1

2000 Pace Arrow Roof Coating

What is the best material to use to re-coat the roof of a 2000 Pace Arrow Vision? Thanks for your help!
Duane

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I did our 98 with Liquid Rubber last year. It's a big job but certainly something most can DIY.

I did it alone but I think it would be MUCH easier doing with a partner that does nothing except bring you the paint (rather than having to constantly go up and down the ladder. I'd recommend having scaffolding which could make it much easier than having to walk on the roof also scaffholding allows you go go back and touch up spots you might have missed. Also make sure your roller brush / handle / etc is VERY sturdy. Mine stripped the threads for the handle about halfway through the job and it made the job much harder. I'd recommend keeping a small amount in the fridge overnight so that the next day you can have a 2nd look and touchup any spots that were missed or thing.

Overall, although I don't think I did a great job, it looks way better than it did before.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Having mine sealed with Cool Seal today by dealer I bought unit from. Made me a deal I can't refuse. Owed me a favor anyway. 1998 Fleetwood Pace arrow. Needed sealing real bad. Just recently purchased and don't know if ever sealed like I'm having done.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Getting someone else to do it at a good price sounds like a great idea. I had never heard of Kool Seal before but one thing that would concern me is whether it would be good on rubber roofs. It looks like it would work but their website says

Quote:
Known for outstanding quality, these coatings are recommended for use on Metal, Concrete, Foam, Brick, Flat & Barrel Cement Tile, and Aged Aluminum Coatings
koolseal.com: Elastomeric Roof Coatings
Old 04-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I coated mine with EPDM rubber roof coating. They sell both a commercial coating and a special RV coating. I read the commercial coating works great on RV's and saves some money.

I bought a good quality paint roller with 6' handle and a "cork screw" mixer at Lowes. You have to thoroughly mix the 2-part coating with a drill and a cork screw mixer. It is very much like painting with thick paint. I coated each side and left a narrow walkway down the middle. I also used a small hand roller to get around obstacles. The next day I did touch ups and then finished off the walkway. It looks like new.

Liquid Rubber Coatings - EPDM Coatings
Old 04-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
Getting someone else to do it at a good price sounds like a great idea. I had never heard of Kool Seal before but one thing that would concern me is whether it would be good on rubber roofs. It looks like it would work but their website says

koolseal.com: Elastomeric Roof Coatings
Schroll down and you will see one called top coat. It is for rubber roofs!
Old 04-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used the Liquid EPDM rubber roof coating on my 5th wheel four years ago, still looks great. It sits outdoors 365 days a year, 50 miles west of Flagstaff, AZ. The winter snow, summer sun, and heavy monsoons have had no apparent effect on the coating.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Getting ready to do mine too. Liquid Rubber or Liquid Roof sure seems to be the way to go.
I've E-Bonded everything, now just got to order the LR and wait for the weather to warm-up a little more.
The Portable Summer Cottage II * 2000 GBM/99 F53. Steer-Safe, Ultra-Trac, Bilsteins, Sumitomo's, CHF, & Eternabond. Mod it & keep her rolling! Pics & Mods:http://s69.photobucket.com/user/scot...20Cottage%20II
NAUTIQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
My EPDM rubber roof over 14 years old still looks good yet for a few more years.
I do pressure wash it a couple times a year.

I use no soap/brush or put any protector on it.
Last time washed 4/6/13

In outside weather 24/7/365
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone for your responses and comments.
Duane Inks

Tags
roof