Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #1

2000 Pace Arrow Vision DC Converter issues

I have a pace arrow vision having some power issues. Wiring is not the problem as it works great on generator or battery power.

On line power the back bedroom works just fine. However the bathroom kitchen and living room lights all are intermittent. If you play with the switches it will kill the power or make it flash on and off. Sometimes all the lights will light up and not all the switches are on! Really weird issues..

Where is the converter located and are all of those on the same circuit? Seems like it only wants to run when drawing power not when lights are off. Also, its not the fluorescent lights but the incandescent and smaller vanity light switches that have issues.

Weird post, i know. Help and thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #2

I am not and expert but you might try resetting your electrical outlets that have the red center button. If you made any recent electrical changes, look at it as suspect. Perhaps you used the wrong replacement bulb in one of the light fixtures.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know your coach, but usually the converter will be close to the BCC, which will be close to the coach batteries and contain the 12v control system and the 12v fuse panel. In class A's, this is usually in an outside bay.

Your problem doesn't make much sense if all you stated was the 12v system. All of it is power by the batteries. If generator is running or on shore power, that just keeps the batteries charged.

However, if the converter was having very strange problems, that could be the problem or part of it. The first thing I would do is check the voltage output of the converter. Assuming a single stage, the output voltage should be a constant 13.5 - 13.6v.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #4

Thanks for the ideas guys! Father in law replaced coach batteries and did not know where the cables went. Obvious were positive in and negative out. ALso ran two 6 volt in series. There were also 2 other cables coming in not labeled which i think were determined to be both grounds. We grounded those out to the main negative terminal. That is the only electrical work recently done.

Everything works great on generator or battery power. As soon as you plug the RV into line power on a panel the kitchen, bathroom, and living room lights will not function correctly. Just by turning on a switch you can kill power to all lights, fridge, etc... (except back bedroom). By turning any switch off and on in those areas you can actually kill power and turn it on to the above areas including fridge.

Does that help?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by heikkila31 View Post
Thanks for the ideas guys! Father in law replaced coach batteries and did not know where the cables went. Obvious were positive in and negative out. ALso ran two 6 volt in series. There were also 2 other cables coming in not labeled which i think were determined to be both grounds. We grounded those out to the main negative terminal. That is the only electrical work recently done.
I need some things cleared up here first.

Was everything working fine before FIL replaced coach batteries?
Were the batteries taken out, two 12v or two 6v? I do see they are now 6v and wired in series.
Is the chassis battery present and working fine to start the engine?

Quote:
Everything works great on generator or battery power. As soon as you plug the RV into line power on a panel the kitchen, bathroom, and living room lights will not function correctly. Just by turning on a switch you can kill power to all lights, fridge, etc... (except back bedroom). By turning any switch off and on in those areas you can actually kill power and turn it on to the above areas including fridge.

Does that help?
No more than your first post. If all the 12v lights, fridge set to 12v (gas), water heater and furnace all work on just battery power, then the 12v system is operating normally and the two 6v batteries are wired correctly.

When you plug the RV cord into 120v shore power or run the generator (which is basically doing the same thing), this is when part of the 12v system fails. So, the ONLY connection present in the coach that connects those 2 systems is the converter. This points directly to the converter or at least the 12v system control board seeing the power coming from the converter instead of just the batteries.

At this point I cannot help further until you get a voltmeter, know how to use it and run the test I described in my last post. I would not plug the RV into shore power anymore. I would get a battery charger and connect to your coach battery to keep them maintained, as we don't know if the converter has been charging them. If you feel capable, remove the 12v leads from your converter and connect the battery charger set to 10amp in their place. Now I would check the coach for the same problem. If it's is gone, it's the converter, if not, it could be the control board. Just not enough info yet to be sure of anything.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like the two wires you connected to ground are hot wires.

Tags
converter