Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2016, 06:31 PM   #1

2000 Safari Continental 40'

What do you all feel about this RV. I'm considering strongly.

Asking is $42K. It does have the 4 door Nevercold (Norcold) and the safety circuit has been triggered so no refer...up to $2K repair/replace. All new tires, very smoky diesel water heater...probably hasn't been run in a while since it has a electric element too.

Four of the double paned windows have snaking...but the drivers side was fixed already.

Seems like a bargain with the asking $10K below low retail. Much of the stuff I can fix myself, other stuff I know about aftermarket fixes that are less than shop prices.

Engine sounds fine, no codes have been thrown, no dash air though.

Oh, and it has that freaky 3M plastic front cover that's all UV broken up and weathered.

What's everyone think about the Safari line?

Thanks!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 07:34 PM   #2

I had a 2000 same as that. Had the 330 HP cat in it. Rear Radiator (neg) but really nice coach. Mine had some electrolysis problems on the exterior and the headlights were pitiful driving at night, or than that we really liked it. Decent quality. That said do not think it compares with my Country Coach of the same year. IMO

Old 01-31-2016, 09:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to Wild Bill Ed Send a message via Yahoo to Wild Bill Ed
Hi Jim,

I am a Safari owner with a 2001 Zanzibar (production date 12/2000)...It has been an absolutely great coach for the last six years. Original owner put 1500 miles in it year one, 2nd owner put 24,500 on it years 2 thru 2010 and I have put 20,000 on it till present. I have pretty complete knowledge about the coaches 1999-2002.

The Hurricane heater is readily repaired and apparently not difficult. If you Google "Hurricane heater" you will find a manufacturer series on them that step by step will walk you through the entire system.

Now the refrigerator is likely a no bid deal either. The unit that is triggered can be reset by waving a strong magnet across it's back side and it should click and run again. My Norcold ran just fine, cold as the Arctic and no issues. It had no indications of over heating or scorched interior. Pull the vent cover off up on the roof and check inside above the unit and see what it looks like and a good way to see if there is a problem.

I am told that the snaking does not inhibit the R value of the double pane efficiency but I do not know that for a fact. It is an ugly look for sure and a bargaining point.

Headlight were a weak point for sure. That again can be improved substantially by adding a relay circuit and new light assemblies from the aftermarket if they are like most ,yellowed lenses, pretty typical. The relay uses direct power direct from the batteries and uses switching circuit to activate the relay only. This will equate to much better light. The Safari Panther I just bought will get this upgrade.

Now there is much more for you to know, so my turn to ask you some questions if that is OK, hope so because here they are. How many miles? What does the service record look like. What suspension does it have, Air bags or BF Goodrich Velvet Ride?
What is the ride height? This does not apply if it has air 8 bags. To determine ride height, coach sitting on level surface preferably concrete, measure from center of hubcap to bottom of the belt line. This is the riveted molding just above the cargo doors. It should be 25 inches if I am remembering correctly un loaded. If it is close -1/4 fine, if is 22 then it requires greater effort to get it back where it needs to be. I can elaborate more if you wish.

This is a single slide coach if I am correct, what is the production date? What size tires are on it and make? What is the ply rating and what is the speed rating. This is particularly important. If they installed the OEM Toyo brand on it they were 120J. These are no longer available and may have put Toyo 122s on it. If they have a "J" after the number the speed rating is 65 MPH if it has an "L" it is 75 MPH. The OEM 120J tire was really under rated for the coach. The 122L is a great tire and I have them on my coach. The original tire size was a 255R 70 22.5 the Panthers used a Goodyear 670RV 275 R70 22.5 16 ply You are welcome to call Bill Edwards 303 807 7975
All of this said visit the FMCA forum website as I have written several articles relating to the tire, suspension and brake issues on the later Safari coaches built by the SMC corporation which are quite different quality wise as compared to that of the Monaco built coaches. I have several friends that have 1990 and 2000 Safari coaches some of which I have spent "PLAY" time on. I will also tell you that my Zanzibar is for sale and has many updates and improvements all be it the price is a bit higher. It is a two slide coach, front entry, color is Saba Sabi Green and White, very pretty. It is a velvet ride coach with Air assist and Pioneer Engineering Suspension componentry, Konis and the list goes on and on. Too much to list here now.

Hope this helps Bill Edwards 38 years in the automotive restoration business
ATV, & an Old Town Kevlar Canoe, Solar Promoter, Generator delete, Dry Camper
Wild Bill Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill Ed View Post
Hi Jim,

Snip...

Now there is much more for you to know, so my turn to ask you some questions if that is OK, hope so because here they are. How many miles?

Quote:
What does the service record look like. What suspension does it have, Air bags or BF Goodrich Velvet Ride?
Service records not available AFAIK. Unit has Air bags.

Quote:
What is the ride height?
By observation, close to 25".

Quote:
This is a single slide coach if I am correct, what is the production date?
Hmmm, don't have that info on the date, but it is single slide.

Quote:
What size tires are on it and make? What is the ply rating and what is the speed rating. This is particularly important.
I'm not a speed demon, keeping it around 60 MPH. They are brand new Michelin 255R7022.5

Thanks for taking the time to give all this info! Great help.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to Wild Bill Ed Send a message via Yahoo to Wild Bill Ed
Sounds like a potential winner. Great that is has air bags. One item to look for with respect the air system. These coaches did not come with an air drier. Every over the road truck/semi or like has one. Without one, the system internals are subject to rusting. The maintenance of this falls on the owner. operator to drain regularly. I had one friend who purportedly drained his regularly, yet had his gage fill with water. Just something to consider.

Bill Edwards
ATV, & an Old Town Kevlar Canoe, Solar Promoter, Generator delete, Dry Camper
Wild Bill Ed is offline   Reply With Quote