Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #1

2000 santara coachmen

Wondering if anyone has the wiring schematics for this year and model, been having issues starting it at all, any help on either would be great
Killerman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2017, 06:11 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum.

What chassis is it on?

You might consider placing that info in your "Signature" line
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:14 PM   #3

2000 santara coachmen

A ford chassis
Old 06-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Whats wrong, you say won't start?

Is this a new problem?

Does it crank?
Old 06-25-2017, 06:42 PM   #5

2000 santara coachmen

From what I can remember last year when purchased, brought it home, tested everything including the levelling jacks which don't work properly, had a mechanic come do a wire bypass to get it running now that's doesn't seem to work now

Doesn't crank
Old 06-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is the chassis battery dead?

Is the coach battery dead?

Have you tried the "EMER START" button? (This connects the coach battery to the chassis battery)

You may have a "Battery Disconnect" switch that disconnects the batteries. Is this switch (and the corresponding solenoid) working?
Old 06-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #7

Because there was no power going to the solenoid before the starter he made a push button that gave power to the starter right away and the emergency doesn't work which made me think it's some weird safety but can't seem to figure it out, and the fuse box under the hood always had to be manually played with for it to find the good spot to start
Old 06-25-2017, 07:04 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
the fuse box under the hood always had to be manually played with for it to find the good spot to start
I suspect this is where you should start your troubleshooting.

ALSO - Be aware that you may have battery disconnect solenoids

Follow the power cables from the battery and start working your way to the starter.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:08 PM   #9

Ya I hear ya, it's weird because I tested power to the starter and tried jumping it with a screwdriver and my starter solenoid is new and all it does is spin but don't crank, is it possible that there's a safety that disables the starter if it doesn't sense the system is safe
Old 06-25-2017, 07:15 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
On the starter, if you shorted the large battery power to the smaller solenoid connection, and all it did was spin but did not turn the engine, then you have a bad starter (bendix)

Starter Solenoid portion of the starter - When you apply power to the small terminal, it energizes the starter solenoid that does two things.

1) It mechanically pulls the starter clutch gear assembly ( the bendix) so the starter gears mesh with the flywheel gears. NOTE - This may be centrifugal on the ford starter, i.e. when the starter starts spinning, it literally throws the bendix assembly forward to mesh the gears.

|

2) It mechanically makes the connection between the battery connector and the starter connector, applying power to the starter motor.

This does NOT address the statement you made about a finicky fuse terminals..
Old 06-25-2017, 07:25 PM   #11

It was the fuse box in the first place that made everything messed up but if I can just get it running again I can deal with that
Old 06-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Verify the transmission is in park and set the parking brake.

Use your screwdriver or a large jumper lead, short the large battery connection to the smaller starter solenoid connection. The starter should engage and turn the engine but it shouldn't start if the key isn't in the IGN position.

If the starter spins,, but the engine doesn't crank, replace the starter.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #13

You were right it was the starter thank you,

But now that I had it running it ran for a bit but now I think it's not getting any fuel, any ideas?
Old 06-26-2017, 06:43 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Verify you have fuel pressure, verify the fuel pump is running.

Tags
coachmen