Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
kep

Unhappy 2000 seabreeze shore power

New owner. Can't get shore power. Dealer said, 'everything runs thru batteries and inverter and that batteries go dead if handles are not pulled up. Then they must be recharged with charger....plugging into shore won't charge and since we have to use adapter with house current (which always worked with previous rv'S) that doesn't work to charge or have any electric . HELP. Sad
kep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and . We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
Sorry to hear that you are having a problem getting shore power into the coach but we need a little more information or we will be guessing as to what problem you have.
I will ask if you have checked to be sure you have power at the receptacle the coach has been plugged into. What size circuit do you have available for the coach at the house. What size service does the coach have; 30 or 50 amp? Last question for now is are you able to troubleshoot electrical circuits?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kep View Post
New owner. Can't get shore power. Dealer said, 'everything runs thru batteries and inverter and that batteries go dead if handles are not pulled up. Then they must be recharged with charger....plugging into shore won't charge and since we have to use adapter with house current (which always worked with previous rv'S) that doesn't work to charge or have any electric . HELP. Sad
It's possible your inverter/charger is where the problem lies. We had 3 circuit boards go out of our inverter/charger last fall. The good news is the boards can be replaced but they are relatively expensive but cheaper than a new inverter. I called the inverter company and they directed me to a repair center for a diagnosis and repair.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #4

Switches are now in down position on house batteries (dead). Coach is 50 amp and we are using a 30 amp converter to connect to our home 15 amp. We have owned several other rv's over the years and always kept them plugged into home when not on the road. Never a problem before...kept everything charged and we were able to run a/c, microwave, etc from shore power. Current from shore home is good and the cord is strong and has power at both ends. Still no power in rv. I think we are probably not doing something required...our 'walk thru' was very sketchy because right after purchase...next day...Keith broke his tibia :( He is usually pretty handymanish ...now ...not. How can I tell if the inverter is working? All hints and suggestions will be tested to the best of my limited ability...duh Keith usually does this kinda thing... Thanking you in advance
sangrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #5

Your plug adapter on your power cord may only power one side of the 50amp cord. You need a meter and check to see if you have power on both legs to the converter. Also the converter should have a red and green wire on front side by fuses and this goes to your batteries. Using a meter check voltage across these two, should be 12 volts. I sent you a PM, KEP.

Jim
rjdelapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #6

Is it even possible to convert 50 to 30 to 15?? Scared now :(
sangrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
s it even possible to convert 50 to 30 to 15?? Scared now :(
Sure - I do it all the time. The 50/30 adapter should feed both 50A legs from the single hot leg of a 30A, and the 30/15 steps it down to fit the 15A house outlet. You are limited to 15A total, of course.

Much of your 120v power may does indeed pass through the inverter to power the wall outlets (but not a/c or water heater), but lack of battery power should not affect that. What brand of inverter is it, and it it an inverter only or an inverter/charger? The inverter that came in a 2000 Seabreeze was probably a small standalone that powered the tv only, but it may well have been upgraded to a larger inverter/charger after that.

Your batteries should charge fine from shorepower, but in many coaches the batetry disconnect switches cannot be turned off if you want charging. The disconnect relay may well be between the battery and the charger - it was on a 2002 Dolphine we had and the design is probably similar.

When you say you can't get shore power, are you saying that nothing 120v works? E.g., the fridge doesn't work in AC mode and none of the 120v outlets work? What about 12v stuff like the lights?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Gary is right-on, I have used a 15A household circuit, with various addapters, to run power to the MH and charge the batteries. I would not expect to run heavy draw appliances, like the A/C or Microwave.

You must have the 12V battery disconnect switch "ON".

What have you found out, so far?

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power