Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #1

2000 Winnebago Adventurer - Won't Start

I am VERY NEW to the Motorhome gig. I just bought a 2000 Adventurer w/6500 miles....yep, 6500. It was my grandmothers. She said she started it every month until the last 4 months. Now I can't get it to start, it trys to but never does.

I have switched out the spark plugs, put about 10 gallons of new gas in it. here are my guesses:

1. Fuel shut off valve (can't find it)
2. No power to fuel pump (relay? can't find it)
3. Fuel pump is bad

Any HELP WOULD BE SOOOOO APPRECIATED.
kylewayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

A little more detail would help us help you. What engine do you have? Any check engine lights?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:21 AM   #3

How long has that gasoline been in the tank? (new gas does not heal old gasoline) If the gasoline was not treated with a stabilizer, that is where I would start.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:20 AM   #4

If the engine is attempting to turn over I think you could rule out #1 and 2 for sure and probably 3 as well. This should be a ford V10. Make sure your battery is fully charged and that both terminals on the battery are clean. I think gruelens is on the right track. Today's ethanol blended fuels do not last untreated for an extended period if time. I'd drain the tank and put new fuel filters on it and try again
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

A little more detail would help us help you. What engine do you have? Any check engine lights?
Yes the check engine light comes on and stays on. It's a workhorse chassis. I put a brand new battery, everything comes on and the engine just try's to start but I drained the battery after several days of trying

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoran1973 View Post
If the engine is attempting to turn over I think you could rule out #1 and 2 for sure and probably 3 as well. This should be a ford V10. Make sure your battery is fully charged and that both terminals on the battery are clean. I think gruelens is on the right track. Today's ethanol blended fuels do not last untreated for an extended period if time. I'd drain the tank and put new fuel filters on it and try again
I put a brand new battery in it, I don't think that's the issue because everything powers and the engine turns over trying to start, just doesn't.

There was less than 1/8 of a tank and we mixed in about 10 gallons.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
How long has that gasoline been in the tank? (new gas does not heal old gasoline) If the gasoline was not treated with a stabilizer, that is where I would start.
Gasoline has to have sat for about 4-6 months. I don't think there was more than 5 gallons in there. Can I just add a stabilizer?
Old 08-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylewayne View Post
Gasoline has to have sat for about 4-6 months. I don't think there was more than 5 gallons in there. Can I just add a stabilizer?
Stabilizer won't cure old gas. You need to see if you've got spark and gas in the cylinder. Pull a plug or put an old plug on one of the leads and ground it against something. Have someone crank engine and look for spark.

Borrow a scanner and read codes, it might tell you something. Using a fuel pressure gauge to see if fuel is pumping would also be a suggestion. Continuous cranking isn't going to start it if it doesn't catch in the first 30 seconds.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Stabilizer won't cure old gas. You need to see if you've got spark and gas in the cylinder. Pull a plug or put an old plug on one of the leads and ground it against something. Have someone crank engine and look for spark.

Borrow a scanner and read codes, it might tell you something. Using a fuel pressure gauge to see if fuel is pumping would also be a suggestion. Continuous cranking isn't going to start it if it doesn't catch in the first 30 seconds.
We replaced all the plugs. The old ones did smell like gas. I thought about pulling the gas line and checking to see if its pumping gas from the tank. I am also going to look at the relay and look for the fuel pump inertia switch
Old 08-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2000 winnebago adventurer 32V on a workhorse chassis that gave us a lot of starting problems last year. Changed out a fuel pump at $1300 and it continued through the fall. Mechanic finally determined found a wire harness along the frame 5-6' behind the drivers door with 4 wires in and 4 wires out that supplied power to the fuel pump. It collects water and one of the wires was corroded and would not make a solid connection at times. We cut that out and spliced the wires through earlier this summer and have had no problems since. Sometimes I could bang that harness and it made the connection and started up. 8 can attach a picture of the harness when I get home tonight if you need. Hope it is just this as it's a cheap fix.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcgin View Post
We have a 2000 winnebago adventurer 32V on a workhorse chassis that gave us a lot of starting problems last year. Changed out a fuel pump at $1300 and it continued through the fall. Mechanic finally determined found a wire harness along the frame 5-6' behind the drivers door with 4 wires in and 4 wires out that supplied power to the fuel pump. It collects water and one of the wires was corroded and would not make a solid connection at times. We cut that out and spliced the wires through earlier this summer and have had no problems since. Sometimes I could bang that harness and it made the connection and started up. 8 can attach a picture of the harness when I get home tonight if you need. Hope it is just this as it's a cheap fix.
wow that would be awesome to see a picture of this. Thanks for the insight. I'll go over this afternoon to look.

kyle
Old 08-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi, I sounds like it is old gas and if you can drain the tank that would be a good thing and then put fresh gas in it.

More than likely your gas filter is the problem. On the workhorse chassis it is located on the rail in front of the drivers side rear tire. I would change that out to start with. I would also add Sea Foam to the new gas that you are putting in it. After you get it running I would always add an additive like StaBil if the Rv is going to sit for awhile.

Until you get the engine running don't try to start the generator as the bad gas will mess that up to. I would also change the gas filter on the generator and try to drain the old gas out of the fuel line.

Good Luck and you have a very fine Rv there.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Here are the pictures of the wiring harness we cut out and spliced through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1408664398106.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	71609   Click image for larger version

Name:	1408664411953.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	71610  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1408664423773.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	71611  
Old 08-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcgin View Post
Here are the pictures of the wiring harness we cut out and spliced through.
Ok great! I did see that wiring harness this afternoon. Did you replace it or just hard wire it together?

Thanks,

Kyle

Tags
vent, winnebago