Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #15

Just got done looking at this Dutch Star. I think it's over all in good condition but I found a list of things that need to be repair or replaced.
-exterior has the checking problem on the dark areas. It's not realy bad but it's there.
-crack in windshield in a corner
-roof is not rubber, it has a fiberglass roof that may need a some TLC but no leaks or soft spots
-inside is in good shape, normal wear on carpet but one cracked tile in kitchen area
-stair at passenger floor will not move to closed position.
-needs all new belts for motor
-oil pan has paint missing and rusty
-trans oil leak at out put seal, class I before driving
-house batteries bulged and tray needs cleaned but tested good. I would replace them
-ABS light on, pulled the code and right front valve malfunction
-engine code injector pressure fault active
-block heater inop
- roof a/c heat pumps would not come on
-he did not have fridge on untill we came so I don't know if it was cold

It was winterized and I didn't have him hook up water since the list was getting long and we need to talk price because no way was I paying 49k. I still had more checks to do and drive it but wanted to let them know the price has to come down. So I offered 38k and they quickly said no. I explained everything I found and no maintenance is a problem. I would easy put 3k in right off the bat fixing stuff and doing all maintenance that needs done.

They said it was already priced lower then others out there but I don't know where they are getting there info from.

The good about the coach is we like the floor plan and the condition is good for being 15 years old. I can fix everything I found easily and if I don't find anything wrong during the test drive I would be happy paying 38k but I guess it's time to move on to look at another one. Maybe they will call when it doesn't sell or maybe they get lucky and someone who doent know much about RVs buys it.

I learned alot today since its the first Dutch Star I did a long TI on. I like the Dutch Star even more now and early 2000 one will work perfect for us.

I have pictures of what I found and will post them when I get home.

Thanks for the info everyone posted,
Jen

G-JLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2016, 01:29 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Keep looking, there are more out there!
Dutch Stars usually go fast too. I looked at everything from King Airs to Dutch Stars and by the time I found one I and the DW liked they were usually sold.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-JLD9 View Post
Just got done looking at this Dutch Star. I think it's over all in good condition but I found a list of things that need to be repair or replaced.
-exterior has the checking problem on the dark areas. It's not realy bad but it's there.$It's only going to get worse!
-crack in windshield in a corner $
-roof is not rubber, it has a fiberglass roof that may need a some TLC but no leaks or soft spotsNormal wear and tear
-inside is in good shape, normal wear on carpet but one cracked tile in kitchen area
-stair at passenger floor will not move to closed position.Bargaining point, but not a deal breaker for me since we don't use it anyway.
-needs all new belts for motor
-oil pan has paint missing and rusty
-trans oil leak at out put seal, class I before driving$Potentially $$
-house batteries bulged and tray needs cleaned but tested good. I would replace them$700
-ABS light on, pulled the code and right front valve malfunction$Not sure how much
-engine code injector pressure fault active$Once again, not sure how much
-block heater inop
- roof a/c heat pumps would not come onPotentially expensive, but weird that BOTH heat pumps are inop . . .
-he did not have fridge on untill we came so I don't know if it was cold

It was winterized and I didn't have him hook up water since the list was getting long and we need to talk price because no way was I paying 49k. I still had more checks to do and drive it but wanted to let them know the price has to come down. So I offered 38k and they quickly said no. I explained everything I found and no maintenance is a problem. I would easy put 3k in right off the bat fixing stuff and doing all maintenance that needs done.

They said it was already priced lower then others out there but I don't know where they are getting there info from.

The good about the coach is we like the floor plan and the condition is good for being 15 years old. I can fix everything I found easily and if I don't find anything wrong during the test drive I would be happy paying 38k but I guess it's time to move on to look at another one. Maybe they will call when it doesn't sell or maybe they get lucky and someone who doent know much about RVs buys it.

I learned alot today since its the first Dutch Star I did a long TI on. I like the Dutch Star even more now and early 2000 one will work perfect for us.

I have pictures of what I found and will post them when I get home.

Thanks for the info everyone posted,
Jen
You didn't mention age of tires???

They very well may sell it closer to their asking price, but that's not on your watch. Move along, keep looking and count this one as free education! You h ave a better appreciation of Dutch Stars, and the right one is out there.
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
You didn't mention age of tires???

They very well may sell it closer to their asking price, but that's not on your watch. Move along, keep looking and count this one as free education! You h ave a better appreciation of Dutch Stars, and the right one is out there.
Tires were 3 years old, date code of 1113. They were in great shape. It was great free education, and we I'm sure we will find that Dutch Star soon. Will need to travel farther I think, but we don't mind doing that for the right rig.

The roof was one I have not see before, but I have only see a rubber roof so I'm guessing this was fiberglass. It was one continues piece of plastic/fiberglass that seamed to be put over what roof was there before? The owner said it was rubber but it defiantly not.

Do they put fiberglass roofs over rubber ones? All the rvs we had before had rubber roofs so I need to do more research on fiberglass roofs so I know what to look at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160227_094856047.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	120049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160227_095205548.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	120050  

Old 02-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #19

Carolina Campers
In Nov, we purchased a 2001 Dutch Star 3852. Only had 26,000 miles on it...we actually saw the laminated price listing the original owner had stashed in one of the drawers, snapped a photo while we researched it. Turns out, the low end of the NADA was 49,500K, high end was almost 60K. WE did the NADA guide check based on the invoice. If we didn't know it had something, we left it off. Excellent condition and we still only paid 49K for it.

Yes, some things needed fixing on a now 15 year old coach, like the a/c shroud I stuck my hand thru crawling next to it on the roof. Plastic left out in the sun and weather does NOT last forever. We replaced the steering wheels. Changed the oil and oil filter. Replaced the clearance lights and have the side marker lights in hand to replace next.

There were 3 people in line behind us to consider it had we not purchased it.

Not sure about the 3851 but the 3852 is on a Spartan Chassis.
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-JLD9 View Post
Do they put fiberglass roofs over rubber ones? All the rvs we had before had rubber roofs so I need to do more research on fiberglass roofs so I know what to look at.
Higher end coaches have fiberglass, like this one. The condition of the fiberglass isn't usually what you need to look at - it's all the sealant between the caps and anything else on the roof. If cracked, it very well may be leaking... Inspect carefully.

Sounds like this one is out of line for actual condition. $3k is a low-estimate for what it'd cost to repair those things.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Dutch Star

Before I comment on the 2001 Dutch Star you're looking at, I'll tell you about mine. I bought a 2000 DS with the Cat and Freighter chassis. Love it! I found mine in Orlando area with 51,000 miles on it. I called Freighter in Orlando for an inspection but their first day available for an inspection was 6 days. I inspected it myself and chassis checked out during inspection. The coach itself had newly installed hardwood floors and couch and window trim was just updated with new upholstery. Tires are two years old and in great shape. I payed $27,000.00 for it. My inspection proved not to be the best.

I'm at Freighter class right now and I had my Dutch Star in their shop for a chassis lube and full inspection. Now the bad news: The track bar and sway bar bushings were bad, The exhaust system needed work. The engine belt tentioner was needing replace and I have brake problem due to brake rollers stuck. The total estimate was $3,600.00. I had them replace the track bars and sway bay, lube chassis, replace tentioner and belts. Re oil front floating hubs and full inspection. Total cost was $1100.00. I feel that since I got the Rig for a great price, Spending 1,100.00 was still in ballpark. A lot of the work i can do myself. What I'm saying is,spend the money and get Freightliner to do a full inspection on chassis, then negotiate price. If inspection doesn't find to much wrong I would offer closer to $35,000 to $40,000. If Freighter finds issues . Walk away! There are a lot of good motorhomes out there at great price points. In my opinion a Newmar in good condition,
especially a Dutch Star is a great Coach.
By the way, Freighter Camp 2 day class is a incredible class. Worth its weight in gold. Good Luck finding a coach.
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:24 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I searched 4 months for our motor home and looked hard at Dutch Stars. The average asking price for 2000 models was right at $40K. That's for a coach with all systems in working condition. I'd say less than 20 percent of the ones we looked at in that time had a fiberglass roof which is what we wanted. It could have been a coincidence, but all the coaches we saw with a fiberglass roof were on Spartan chassis with the Cummins engine. Every one of them had ball joint issues that was going to cost $3000 to remedy. None of them had full factory body paint.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #23

I had 2 pages of stuff that need fixed and we didn't even road test it yet. When we started talking about price that is when the wife came out and talked to us. She was not out side when I pointed out to the husband all the stuff that need fixed so she said no with out even understanding why I offered 38k. I think they payed way too much for it when they bought it 2 years ago and now feel that I'm trying to rip them off.

They said they looked at all the other 2001 listed on the internet and that's how they picked their asking price. But asking price and selling price is two different things and they didn't know much about DPs anyway. If they do call me back and offer a different price everything will need to be fixed if its above my offer of 38k, but there are more out there so for now I'm continuing my search.

Tags
dutch star