RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #1

2001 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Entrance Door Not Opening Easily

Hi All,

Over the past few weeks our door to the 2001 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Entrance has been getting more and more difficult to open.

Time Line:
When purchased, once the door was Latched shut, and we needed to open it again, we would have to press the door in with our forehand while clasping the door handle open and pulling the door with our other hand. This would take some gymnastics as you can imagine.

Then we had to start jiggling the door while pushing the door at the mid door level, while trying to pull the door open.

We started to narrow down that the lower latch does not seem to be responsive to the door latch when opening.

Today, if we want to open the door, we have to use a screw driver and pry the door open while the other person continues to apply pressure, wiggle the door, and try to open the door.

Additional Considerations

The door opens and closes easily when on the inside, the challenge is only seen when opening the door from the outside.

The door locks appear to match up and align well.

My best guess is that the spring latch is not being activated on the lower part of the door. Not 100% sure how to address this?

I have finally some time carved out to work on this. I am looking for some direction as to what someone else would/has done in this situation.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

huih7345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #2

I had a similar experience and did 2 things. First I had to straighten out the striker plate. It was cupped and pushed in a little. I had to pry it out and hammer it flat. Second was the door latch. I saw that from the outside the latch was very sticky and wasn't working well. From the inside it was ok. I spayed the internals copiously intermittently working the outside handle. I kept spraying WD40 with silicone through the little tube provided into every area I could while working the outside handle until it freed up nicely.

Bahamaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On a Monaco rig I had, the screen-door latch was the problem. Assuming my 2004-door setup was the same as yours... The screen-door latch is pulled away from the strike plate by a mechanism on the main door. So when opening the door from the outside, the screen-door latch is not moved enough to free it from the strike plate, thus the main door appears to be sticking (but it is not). There's a black plastic hook or "tab" on the main door that hooks into the screen-door when the two doors are mated together. This is difficult to describe in writing, but if you really study how these latches work in tandem, perhaps you'll discover the problem. When opening the door(s) from the inside, it can work fine, but fail when opening from outside.
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My 2006 40' Holiday Rambler Ambassador is doing the same thing. The door will not open with the outside door handle if the RV is not level. You have to hold the handle with one hand and "POP" the door above the handle with your other fist to get the door to pop open. If the coach is level the door handle opens the door OK but not perfect. It seems the door frame gets in a bind when the RV isn't level. Our Driveway has a slight slope to it and it's enough to cause this issue. My wife cannot open the door by herself half the time and she's getting mad about it. I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions?
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:59 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don't know if this will help, but here is a file telling how to adjust front door
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Adjusting entrance door.pdf (338.6 KB, 21 views)
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Huih and possibly Cutis,
The PDF is great. Thanks Very and Ken.

As for my description of the screen-door latch being the root of the problem (above), look at page 5 of the PDF and observe the 2-screw black tab near the bottom of the picture there. Loosening this tab and moving it far left (there is a slight adjustment range), then re-tightening, solved my Monaco door-won't-open problem.
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #7

Possibility rig not level, strike pin needs greasing, strike pin needs adjusting.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Just noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Look at post #20 in the thread below. Not sure that your door is the same but maybe it will give you some ideas!

Can't get this dang door adjusted!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:48 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum!!
Old 12-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The information and pdf's given by previous posters will get you fixed up. I had the same problem with the inside handle. seems over time the vibration moves the linkages. Take your time putting all the screws back in the door and be prepared to take a break, that part just about drove me postal. It will go back together and be better than ever. Doug

flamebuster is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, holiday rambler