Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-07-2016, 06:41 AM   #1
2001 Journey DL 36GD questions

Good morning, all. My husband and I have been searching and researching for our first motor home purchase. We are newly retired and looking forward to spending some time on the road. We do not plan to full time but am looking to spend two to three months out at a time. We are trying to keep our budget pretty low right now. We have found a 2001 Journey DL 36GD for 32k. Unfortunately it has 126k miles. Can anyone give us any insight on whether this is a good price for a 15 yr old motorhome ? Also any info at all on this model would so appreciated. We originally planned to stay 35ft or less but if this turns out to be a good buy then a foot or so over will be fine. Thanks in advance for any help.

cfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We owned the 2002 version of that coach for 8 years and it served us well. It had 90k miles when we traded it in 2013 and the new owner is still using it.

126K miles is no issue if the coach has had its recommend service. You can pull an engine oil and trans fluid samples for analysis. At 15 years old some of the house systems may be needing replacement......fridge, etc. All of these things need a lot of care and fixing so just go into it eyes wide open.

Check it thoroughly for any evidence of water leaks from roof, windows, etc.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2005 Journey 36G. I like the coach for its power and handling. We have the Cat C-7 350 HP engine. The drive train is strong and we have not had issues with it. Check with Freightliner and see if the valves have been adjusted, regular maintance, and look at the date on the tires. I have had two other Winnebago's and I like the brand. I have changed the shocks, and leveler springs. We changed out the Tv's to LED's.
Marianne & Jerry.
2005 Winnebago Journey 36G C-7 Cat 350HP. Areo Muffler.
2014 Honda CRV
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Without any knowledge on how well it has been maintained a specific answer about that coach would be impossible. However the one thing it has going for it is Winnebago is a brand that is still in business and they have a good reputation for service of what they made. You should be able to go on their web page and download manuals and parts books still.
Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:01 PM   #5
Thanks for all tge helpful advice and encouragement. I love the classic look of the older Winnebagos and we have found what hopefully will be a couple of good prospects to equip us to begin this motorhome adventure I know our grandkids are sure ready for us to get one lol!
cfinley is offline   Reply With Quote