Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #1

2001 Monaco Knight

I have hydralic brakes not air on my 36ft knight is that ok?
katoommaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We have hydraulic brakes on our 37 ft and I think thats OK. The engine brake does most of the braking.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #3

brakes

Thank you me and my wife are new to the rv and I thought becouse it was a diesel pusher it had air brakes but I learned latter it was not the case. We did not know if we made a mistake or not
Old 12-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Air brakes are typically used in most large trucks because this design simplifies the process of connecting the truck's cab to various trailers. However, in an RV, this is not an issue. Therefore, hydraulic brakes are fine. In fact, some RVers (including myself) prefer hydraulic brakes as a result of their proven reliability. Best of luck.

Jack
Old 12-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #5

IBS 300 cummins

Is this engine big enough for a 36ft monico knight? does any one have the same
Old 12-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Depends on how fast you like to travel up hills. Usually the manufacturer supplies an engine that is cabable of doing the job.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #7

We have hydraulic brakes and I love the convenience. They work just like on my cars, except everything is bigger and the assist is provided by hydraulic oil pressure (same that provides power steering) instead of vacuum.

The ISB won't win you any races in a 36' moho, but there are plenty of ISB powered rigs on the road. Might even be some 38 footers. In fact the ISB is probably the most common diesel power plant on America's highways. And if you drive it reasonably I'll envy your fuel mileage. I get ~8mpg pulling a 4k# toad with an ISL powered rig weighing 31k. I'm guessing you will be close to 10.