Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #1

2001 Winnebago Journey 36L replacement tires

Need to replace all the tires on my 36' Journey. They currently have 255/80-22.5 but that size really limits the available tires. Ive read I can mount 275/70-22.5 on the same rim without a problem. I did find a thread that confirmed the 2001 Journey rear tires have enough clearance to run the wider tires. Hopefully someone on here can confirm this.

Im looking at Sailun which have good reviews and much more affordable than the Michelin.

Just looking for advise/feedback from anyone that has done the size change and any feedback on the Sailun tires? Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbydave View Post
Need to replace all the tires on my 36' Journey. They currently have 255/80-22.5 but that size really limits the available tires. Ive read I can mount 275/70-22.5 on the same rim without a problem. I did find a thread that confirmed the 2001 Journey rear tires have enough clearance to run the wider tires. Hopefully someone on here can confirm this.

Im looking at Sailun which have good reviews and much more affordable than the Michelin.

Just looking for advise/feedback from anyone that has done the size change and any feedback on the Sailun tires? Thanks
hobbydave,
The 255 - 80Rs are proprietary to Michelin. Meaning, they're the only ones tat produce that size tire. For years, that's been good for Michelin but, bad for the rest of us end users. Some folks are die-hard users and, simply go through what ever hassle there is to locate them and then pay the high price of them if and when they find them.

But, as you may have found out, they DON'T have the corner on the market. There are multiple other tires, very close in size, that will work flawlessly in the 255's place. We just installed 6 brand new, Yokahama 265 75 22.5" RY 103, LR "G" tires for a total of $2,800, mounted and balanced. A buddy just did the Michelin route with his Meridian and paid $4,200 for his 255s.

Check this website out and see what you think.
Scott

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc....5-265-75r22.5
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:06 PM   #3

I just bought 6 new to replace the same Michelin proprietary size. After "a lot" of searching and researching (many threads on here about tires) I wound up going with Hankooks. The Michelin's in that size have a 38.5" diameter. The 275/70's are 38". Plus they just came out with the AH37's that are 18 ply! Bought them on SImpletire and the 6 with shipping were $2200.
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Goodyear states that 265/75R22.5 is an equivalent size for the 255/80. See the GY article on equivalent RV sizes at https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/size-conversions.aspx

I'd look at Hankook, Yokohoma, Toyo, Sumitomo, etc. in the 265/75 size. A friend used the Sumitomos on his Journey and is very happy with both the tire and the much lower price vs the Michelins.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:07 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Get the Goodyear G670RV's in 275/70. They have the same loaded radius as your tires, so the speedo & odo will still read correctly, and you will have moved up to a load range H tire. Goodyear G670's have UV protection in ALL the rubber used in the tire, not just sidewall, like the Michelin.

Speaking of Michelin, my first set of tires on this RV were Michelin. They had, and AFAIC, still have QC problems with all their tires. The RV tires have a well-documented reputation of dry rot, zipper-rips, and rusted steel in their belts. I got rid of them, and bought Goodyear. Could not have been more pleased with them with over 10 years service life. Replaced last year with same make and model.

3 years ago, I bought Michelin tires for my PU truck. $700 for 4 tires. I replaced them 2 weeks ago, due to all 4 dry-rotted and split open radially, around the tread. Only 30k miles, and on a truck parked out of the direct sun. Not happy. No more Michelin on anything I drive.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Have you considered buying through the FMCA Advantage plan?

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:49 AM   #7

I had the same tires on my discovery but wasn't going to pay that price for the name when other manufactures were rated just as good. They are aslo know to sidewall crack early on in their life. After reading many reviews I decided to go with Toyo M154 265/75R22.5. Toyo actually has an * next to that size indicating it is equivalent to Michelin's 255/80R22.5. I am happy with the tires and how they ride, the best part was the price of $2400 for 6 mounted and balanced.

Toyo used to be an OE for Country Coach and other's back in the day until they had problems with tires exploding on the front of Country Coaches. From the jist of everything I read, was that it wasn't Toyo's faul,t but Country coach for specking a tires that didn't have enough load carrying capacity.

As far as Goodyear, You couldn't even pay me to put them on my rig. Do a search on RV tire and you will find out all the problems with them. I don't know if things have changed but they knew of problems with their tires on RV's and did nothing about it, they just kept producing more and more.

Hope that helps some, but take it all with a grain of salt.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
Get the Goodyear G670RV's in 275/70. They have the same loaded radius as your tires, so the speedo & odo will still read correctly, and you will have moved up to a load range H tire. Goodyear G670's have UV protection in ALL the rubber used in the tire, not just sidewall, like the Michelin.

Speaking of Michelin, my first set of tires on this RV were Michelin. They had, and AFAIC, still have QC problems with all their tires. The RV tires have a well-documented reputation of dry rot, zipper-rips, and rusted steel in their belts. I got rid of them, and bought Goodyear. Could not have been more pleased with them with over 10 years service life. Replaced last year with same make and model.

3 years ago, I bought Michelin tires for my PU truck. $700 for 4 tires. I replaced them 2 weeks ago, due to all 4 dry-rotted and split open radially, around the tread. Only 30k miles, and on a truck parked out of the direct sun. Not happy. No more Michelin on anything I drive.
Are these or are these not, the same tires that are involved with the Goodyear RV tire nation wide investigation for faulty RV tires? Just wondering?
Scott
Old 04-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Are these or are these not, the same tires that are involved with the Goodyear RV tire nation wide investigation for faulty RV tires? Just wondering?
Scott
No. AFAIK, it is only the G159 delivery vehicle tire that some put on vehicles used at highway speeds.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
No. AFAIK, it is only the G159 delivery vehicle tire that some put on vehicles used at highway speeds.
Roger that, thanks for answering me.
Scott
Old 04-18-2018, 06:20 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbydave View Post

Here is a link to a thread detailing my experience changing from the stock Michelin tire size, specific to your question, see bullet 4. I ended up with Hankook AH12's, can't comment on the Sailun's.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/new-...ed-332877.html
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would rather run on the rims than use Michelin's !!
After my Michelins gave out, I went with Yokohmas, and have had zero problems with them in 92,000 miles.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #13

Changed from Michelin to Yokohama 265/75 on my Journey. Have been very happy with them.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #14

Question about balancing

Thanks for all the great feedback. We decided to go up to a 275/70 r22.5 with a Sailun S637 tire from simple tire. They seem to have excellent reviews and a great price point.

Next question is to balance or not to balance? There seems to be some controversy over the necessity to balance. If you do balance, there is also some questions about the method used. Anyone have any input if we should balance these new tires? Thanks again

Tags
ace, journey, replace, replacement, tires, winnebago