Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2006, 07:45 AM   #1

Well, let's try this again.....
We are planning to go fulltime in the near future and are looking for a pusher 2000-2003 model range. We now have a 34 ft. gas MH with 2 slides. We have been looking at Newmar, but just saw a 2002 Alfa See Ya on a Freightliner chassis that has a tremendous amount of storage at the right price. Although we now travel about 6-8 mos. of the year, we have yet to meet anyone who has an Alfa. The one we saw is a 38 ft. with 16K miles. It has two leather couches and leather front seats and just about every gizmo you could put on a MH. including two slides. The living room slide extends out about four ft. Could this be a problem when parking in RV parks? (Ours is about a 3 ft.) Will the basement air work with 30 amp.? It has a Generac diesel generator...any comments on it? I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience with this model Alfa; pros and cons. Thanks. And Happy Motoring.
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2006, 12:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Larry and Norma, while the Alpha is taller than the Newmar I don't think that is has the quality that Newmar is known for. Example is the Generac generator abord; Onan is about the best you can have and a diesel is definitely what you want in comparison to LP gas. I would recommend you keep doing your homework and take your time. There are many great coaches out there and I am sure you will find the right one for you. Good luck and keep us up with what you are seeing and concidering.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:58 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice, Wizard. Yes, we have been planning on buying a diesel for a couple years and been doing some research. Just recently began taking steps to start looking. We prefer Newmar, Allegro, Monaco and National's Tradewinds pretty much in that pecking order. Yes, I think an Onan diesel is the best, but it's hard to order a used
RV with everything the way you want it.
That's why we're trying to get some advice from Alfa owners. Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:55 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
2002, early in the Alpha line of MH's, was not as good as the later years. Alpha learned a lot 2001-2002. There is plenty of inventory out there and you will find the one 'that speaks to you' somewhere.

As you have already been told, keep looking.

Noticed that Winnebago was not on your list. Am wondering why. We are full time and Winne has served us well.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:51 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'm surprised you don't see any Alfas on the road - we see quite a few of them. Frankly, though, most fulltimers choose other brands. Newmar and Monaco are the most selected brands.

The basement air should work on 30A - most RV basement air systems have two compressors and only one runs when on 30A. Verify this is the case on the Alfa, but that's the norm. The typical amp draw on basement air is about 20A, so not a whole lot else will work at the same time.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #6

Having owned a new Tiffin, I'd say compare it closely with Newmar and Monaco. They're pretty to look at but lacking elsewhere, in my experience. Of all the ones you've listed Monaco would be my top pick.
When I was buying last year I looked at a LOT of DP's and ultimately decided that an Excursion would best suit my needs.

Good luck in your search.

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:22 PM   #7

I have a 2002 Alfa See Ya. Had it since new in March of 2002. Traveled more than 38,000 miles. We have had good luck with ours. It is a great coach. Very spacious, high ceilings, big windows all give it a very open livable coach. Yes it has the basement air. Can run one compressor or both on 50 amps. It has a Generac rather than an Onan. Have over 150 hours on it with not a problem. Drives real nice. 330 is plenty of power. We have a number of friends who full time in them. PM me if you would like more info.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:54 AM   #8

Steve, Appreciate your comments. We've looked at Winnie's in the past, I guess they just didn't "grab" us. RV Roamer..in our message we said we haven't met any Alfa owners. We've seen alot of them on the road.
Rufinit, Thanks Joe. This is the kind of info we are looking for from someone who owns an Alfa. We were quite impressed with the Alfa we looked at and are leaning more towards buying one. Talked to one full-time Alfa owner yesterday, who purchased a '02 new and they love it and had only very minor problems and said several of their friends fulltime in Alfas and didn't know of any problems. We note FMCA has an Alfa club and will contact some of their members. Thanks again for the good info.