Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #1

2002 Fleetwood Revolution Hot Water

I have a question about how the hot water heater in a fleetwood revolution. I have just a switch by the bathroom sink and it is a off and on switch. So how do I choose to use LP. First time and last time we were out the LP never kicked on. And also they say the Hot Water Tank is below the (belt line) what does that mean? Thanks..
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #2

On our 2003, the Atwood water heater is a combination gas and 120VAC unit. I would think yours is the same. The electronic LP gas remote switch for our w/heater is in the right cabinet above the sink and is adjacent to the water pump and fan switches. I will tell you how our system works....yours may differ, just dunno'. (This assumes that the main LP tank is on of course.)

When you push the remote switch "on" (an adjacent red light should illuminate), it is activating gas flow and attempting to light the hot water tank heater electronically. The light should go out if the tank heater lights right away. If the light stays on longer than 15 seconds or so, the tank heater has probably not lit, and you should put the LP switch in the "off" postition. Wait a few moments (the manual says 5 minutes) and repeat the process. Hopefully the tank heater will light on the second or third attempt. This happens to us if the coach has been unused for awhile. Once the tank lights, the red light goes out and all is well. And you WILL know it when it lights on LP. Turning the switch "off" shuts off LP to the heater.

Like yours, the lighted switch in our bathroom area activates the water tank's 120VAC heating element. To each his own, but I generally fire up the water tank heater on gas initially. I then use the electrical side to maintain the tank temperature because that heating element draws serious amperage when heating cold water by itself. I kinda' mix & match gas/electric during our stays based mostly on what my energy management system is telling me. Others may do it differently....

The belt line is a term commonly used to refer to a narrow, horizontal "center" area along the side of a vehicle, usually front to rear. Body side mouldings on older cars (and maybe some newer ones) often delineated the vehicle's belt line, front to rear.

Hope this helps. Hopefully you have an Atwood manual for your heater. If not, I would think you could obtain one from them.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #3

On my discovery the gas switch for the water heater is on the intelliteck panel just above the pass seat next to the front tv. The 110v switch is on the kitchen sink cabinet. I have not used the gas on my water heater as the 110 heating element works for us just fine.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:58 AM   #4

Also - with attwoods, you can run both mains and propane at the same time if you want faster recover or longer showers
Old 12-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #5

Tony Lee....very good point. Have also done that.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The "belt line" is the front-to-back trim line between the sidewalls and the lower body panel where the bay doors are. It is approximately at floor level. "Below the belt line" generally means below floor level and within the storage bay portion of the coach.

There will be separate switches for electric and LP mode. The one in the bath is probably the electric mode; the LP mode switch is typically in the galley area and may look like a regular 12v light switch. May have a red indicator light integrated with it or along side.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #7

GregOk80....from one Rev owner to another, please let us all know if you locate the switch and suceed in firing her up on LP. Thanks...
Old 12-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #8

My LP switch is in the left hand upper kitchen cabinet along with the fan switch and the water pump. You can run both electric and LP at the same time.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #9

Thanks so much you guys. It is great to have your information. This is our first RV together. I have had pop ups and truck campers and OMG tents. This RV will be our home away from home while my wife has liver transplant operation .
Old 12-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOk80 View Post
Thanks so much you guys. It is great to have your information. This is our first RV together. I have had pop ups and truck campers and OMG tents. This RV will be our home away from home while my wife has liver transplant operation .
My very best wishes to your wife for a successful surgery and recovery. I hope all goes well for you both.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOk80 View Post
Very sorry to hear about your wife. We will keep her, and you, in our prayers. Take care....
Old 12-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #12

Greg.... I am going to add a few steps that I might do myself...and am basing these steps on the concerns and questions that you have asked.
1. Make sure you know what a by-pass valve is and how to use it
2. Unclip the cover over your Atwood hot water heater (outside RV)
2a. Make sure your heat switch in off inside Rv
2b. Remove drain plug on hot water heater to make sure you are getting water inside heater tank
2c. put plug back in tank
3. turn on hotwater switch in RV
4. turn on pump if you are running on tank water
5. watch hot water heater ignite (this is to educate yourself on the look of an ignition)
6. close cover
7.enjoy the hot water
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #13

OK guys you are great. But have a new question about the switch that you use to start the chassis to the house battery. Were would I find the solenoid because I think the chassis batteries are not charging off the genny.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #14

My engine cut off is in the engine compartment which does not have a solenoid.If you are talking about the emergency start switch it doesn't have anything to do with charging the chassis batteries. I might be missing the question.

Tags
fleetwood, water