I have just completed the set up to tow my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Reading the instructions in the Jeep handbook are not clear to me.
When you tow is the transmission in Drive?
Attached is a PDF of the book. I will type here also to make it easier.
To place in tow mode:
1.Depress brake pedal
2. Shift trans into neutral To be able to shift trans, ignition Key must be in in unlocked OFF position.
3. Shift transfer case to neutral
4. Start engine
5. Shift trans to Drive
6. Release brake, check for vehicle movement
7. Shut the engine off, place key in unlocked OFF position
Following the above, when you are ready to tow :
Trans will be in Drive
Transfer will be in neutral
Key will be in UNLOCKED OFF position
To return to normal drive mode:
1. Shift trans to neutral
2. Shift transfer case to desired position
3. Shift transmission into Drive
Jeep tow instructions.pdf