Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2014, 11:42 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2002 Holiday Rambler Neptune. Opinions?

We are seriously looking at this motorhome:

2002 Holiday Rambler NEPTUNE, Eugene OR - - RVtrader.com

It has 32000 miles and they are asking $59K. It is a 34 footer with 2 slides.

The interior shows is as close to brand new as you will find.

One of the cargo bay doors needs replacing. Looks like it got backed into at some point.

Tires at 85%.

I realize that this unit is made by Monaco. Is this a good manufacturer?

Also, the sides are painted aluminum (not fiberglass) and the roof IS fiberglass instead of rubber.

It has a 275hp Cummins with an Allison 6 speed with econo mode. 7500W propane generator and a 2000W inverter. 75 gal fuel tank.

Both bedroom and livingroom slide outs.

Any feedback will be appreciated. We are new to the larger diesel motorhome realm and are sort of walking in the dark at the mercy of the salesmen!

In the attached pic, you can see the damaged cargo door just in front of the rear tire. I wish I would have taken a closer shot of the damage.

Thanks,eh?

Brad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0815141757a.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	71032  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Monaco makes a very good product. You say 85% tire life is left, BUT the question is how old are they???? Check the date codes depending on brand anywhere from 6 to 10 years is the norm for replacement. Even if they look good check the codes on each tire. I don't I would be concerned of the aluminum sides or the fiberglass roof. The coach is 12 years old so the on board equipment, frig, micro, a/c units are getting up there in age and anything can happen. Have the a/c units checked out or just have the entire coach inspected by a qualified RV inspector. If you go to NADA.com you can come up with a retail price on the coach and you'll have to bargain from there. If the "floorplan" fits your needs make them an offer. Good luck and hope it all works out.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:40 AM   #3

daboo, I have an '03 Monaco Cayman, sister to the HR Neptune. Here's a few of things to look for on the coach your looking at.
1.) Its on the R4R chassis, R=rail chassis, not raised rail chassis. 4=4 air bags. R=rear radiator. You need to check the front and rear trailing arms. There was a recall on both sets of trailing arms due to cracking. Make sure the ones on that coach have been replaced. On the front the replacement arms should be heavy tubular steel arms. Factory originals were cast iron I-beams. There is tons of info on this forum on the rear trailing arm recall. The factory and a company by the name Source Engineering (site sponsor)supplied replacement arms. Check with the dealer to see if they have been replaced and if possible, verify for yourself, to see if they've been replaced. I personally feel the Source supplied arms are far superior to the factory replacement arms.
2.) Check the seam were the aluminum on the sides come together along the midline of the body. I'm in the process now of resealing mine.
3.) Check age and condition of the tires and batteries. The original tires were a Goodyear RSA169 tire, size 255/70R - 22.5. The coach will have 2 chassis batteries and 2 to 4 coach batteries depending whether it has an inverter and the EMS (energy management system).
You said the roof is fiberglass, original from the factory is a two piece aluminum roof with a seam down the middle. If it does have a fiberglass roof it may have been replaced by a previous owner. The interior looks very clean. The price listed seems a little high to me. Upper 40,000's to lower 50,000's is more common.

We ordered our coach brand new in 2002, it's an entry level coach which we still own and it serves us well. We've had what I consider normal wear and tear issues with the coach over the years. We average about 5500 miles a year in it and have stayed in it for up to a month at a time.
Bubba1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:04 AM   #4

2002 Holiday Rambler Neptune. Opinions?

Looks really nice. Do yourselves a favors and get it inspected by a certified technician . Good luck to you
Old 08-18-2014, 05:17 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I would echo JDorans recommendation about getting it inspected. Best money you might spend. It does look like a nice rig.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback,eh? I m attempting to find out if the recalls have been done. There are three: Brakes, front end and rear end. Three separate recall numbers.

Is there any way to use the VIN to find out about the recalls?

Yes, the rig is shiney as a new dime. We've been approved at the CU. Now it's all hinging on the recalls being done or not.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #7

Talked with Monaco this morning. What an informative conversation! He sent me all sorts of info, including a copy of the original invoice with base price, all the options and final price new.

The recalls on both the front end and the rear leaf springs has been done.
THAT was a relief.

Not sure on the tire date yet. Will find out Friday. Got a quote from Les Schwab of 2500 for all six installed Toyo 120's.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #8

Glad to hear all the recalls have been done. We,ve had our coach coming up on 12 twelve years. While its an entry level coach, it has done everything we've needed and wanted it to do. Hope you get as much enjoyment out of that coach, if you but it, as we've had with ours.
Bubba1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #9

My high offer would be 35,000. There are MANY used coaches of this type and quality that are for sale.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #10
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
Talked with Monaco this morning. What an informative conversation! He sent me all sorts of info, including a copy of the original invoice with base price, all the options and final price new.

The recalls on both the front end and the rear leaf springs has been done.
THAT was a relief.

Not sure on the tire date yet. Will find out Friday. Got a quote from Les Schwab of 2500 for all six installed Toyo 120's.

Are you saying the front/rear trailing arms have been fixed or is the leaf springs a separate recall. The old Monaco company did come out with a so-called replacement for the trailing arms but they supposedly not better than the original junk. The only reputable fix is that furnished by Source engineering. Last I heard it was in the $3000 +- range. Your existing tires, as others have stated, should be in the 5-7 year old range and nothing more. If you have a Norcold or Dometic fridge, there is a large recall on some of those, starting in about 2000, that addressesa fire potential during use. It would appear that pricing on this would be in the $35000-45000 range max. As others have stated, the age of the coach means that most of the appliances, ac/heatpump-furnace-water heater, etc should be checked very closely for reliability. The lp genie would turn me off but others may like this option. The HWH jack problem needs to be addressed as to the problem. I've found that new/rebuild jacks can run $250+ but other items may be causing the malfunction. I personally believe that you are going to be noticeably underpowered engine wise and should maybe try and find a diesel coach with a minimum of 330 hp.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
After all your checking on tires and chassis are ok, it still way high $$, 45 is the very most it's worth.

As to power you should be ok, i'm a bit bigger heavier with 330 and it's fine, the upside is good MPG
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:27 PM   #12

attached is the original window sticker from this unit:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sticker.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	71537  
Old 08-21-2014, 12:12 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
oh then not worth $45 at that list window sticker it worth less
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:14 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The invoice shows a 4K hitch. What will you be towing?

Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler