Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #1

2002 Monaco Diplomat wont start

I need some help. I had taken out my batteried for the winter, and just replaced them to start up my 2002 Monaco Diplomat. I hooked them up the same way (I took digital pictures and labeled them) and now I can not get my Motorhome started. The "Wait to Start light" doesnt come on, and the ignition wont turn over. I am also getting a low coolant light (which I assume wouldn't prevent it from starting). My son helped me hook up the batteries, and he said that when he put on the positive teather between the two batteries, that it "accidentally" hit the negative post on the other battery causing it to spark pretty good. Is there a fuse or relay that may have blown because of it? All the dash lights come on, the chassis air conditioning is working, just the glow plug light is not coming on and the engine wont turn over at all. I am not even hearing clicking.

Please help!

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #2

What chassis do you have? Are your batteries 12 volt or 6 volt? You probably have blown a very large fuse. The info about your chassis and batteries will help someone on this forum help you find the fuse.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #3

2002 Monaco Diplomat won't start

Are your transmission indicator lights working?

I recently had the same problem after disconnecting the batteries and discovered that I had not hooked up the positive lead for the transmission back up. Like you my "wait to Start" lights would not come on and the engine would not crank.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #4

Have you topped the coolant off . Just to eliminate that chance it could be a limit switch. Go back over your wiring that you disconnected, it doesn't cost you anything. Are you sure there is no cut off switch , a switch that cuts off your batteries. And if you are going to take your batteries each year I would have a cut off switch installed so that you don't have to take your batteries out again. If all else fails I would call your manufacture of the coach customer service line and tell them what you've done and let them tell what you could do to get it started. Are a member of GOODSAMS Club. If you are call them, they may help. It's Hard to sit here and tell what is wrong with your coach. Your batteries , are you sure there are charged. I thought about mind was having the same problem. My batteries were still under warranty but i could charge my batteries but they would not hold a charege. Check them first before calling someone out. If more then one is in bad shape , could be your problem. I wish i could help.
Donald'Dr.Don'Watkins
Master Sergeant USAF Ret
Old 01-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #5

I vote for low coolant level. A friends Excursion low coolant light was on when he tried to stat and nothing happened. I gave him some antifreeze and it started right up.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry, no help, and I had an 02 Dip. I suggest posting in the Monaco forum here, there are a lot of good technical folks in there.

But, if it were me:

1) Check battery voltage to make sure you are 12.5 volts or so.
2) Verify chassis battery switch is not off.
3) Check for circuit breaker tripped on wall in battery bay.
4) Remove positive battery cable for 5 minutes and re-install and try again.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Pay attention to kidz_driver post. I had a similar problem and my transmission control panel didn't have lights. In my case I had a bad transmission controller (ECU). That's when I learned that the transmission control is interlocked to the engine controller and it will not allow any form of start. Check for power and then unplug and plug the connectors on the ECU (computer). If you don't get it working by then, bend over and grab your ankles. The ECU's and labor aren't cheap!
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #8

BeltoneMagoo, there is nothing cheap about owning an RV. I need to just change my name to "BENTOVER". Or if a female "Ileenover" .
Donald'Dr.Don'Watkins
Master Sergeant USAF Ret
Old 01-21-2014, 06:38 AM   #9

Got it

I found the 10amp fuse inside the transmission control module box and it was blown. After replacing that and a couple other 7.5 amp fuses in the battery compartment, everything is back to normal. Thanks for all your help!!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyalan View Post
I found the 10amp fuse inside the transmission control module box and it was blown. After replacing that and a couple other 7.5 amp fuses in the battery compartment, everything is back to normal. Thanks for all your help!!
Ah, I'd be wondering what caused that many fuses to blow...
Old 01-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
Ah, I'd be wondering what caused that many fuses to blow...
From the first post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyalan View Post
My son helped me hook up the batteries, and he said that when he put on the positive teather between the two batteries, that it "accidentally" hit the negative post on the other battery causing it to spark pretty good.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #12

Indylan, sir is your money but I would still put a battery disconnect in. Unless your coach has one. Mine is located with power panel. Off the top of my head I can't think of the proper name. It's the one where you can check the battery levels. I have two toggle switches , one for the engine batteries and one for the house batteries. Once I turn that off there is no draw on the batteries.
I'm so glad that you were able to fix it yourself and it was only fuses. Now it's time to go RV'ing. Happy trails, again.
Donald'Dr.Don'Watkins
Master Sergeant USAF Ret
Old 01-22-2014, 02:55 AM   #13

That will do it, I'm just so glad it wasn't something major that you had to take in to some shop for repairs.
Donald'Dr.Don'Watkins
Master Sergeant USAF Ret
Old 01-24-2014, 06:43 AM   #14

I know if the batteries are low on my HR the Allison will shift funny so if not getting juice to transmission the RV will NOT start. I agree you need to figure out what caused fuse to blow.

Tags
monaco