Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #1

Exclamation 2003 American Tradition, good coach for a first timer?

Hey all, looking to purchase my first coach! Was wanting your alls opinion on a 2003 American Tradition 40t as my first purchase. Thanks!
BoBo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome to iRV2! Certainly the American Tradition is a quality motorhome. That said, the condition of the RV and how it has been maintained are as important as the brand you buy. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #3

Thanks for your input! The coach is in immaculate condition and seems to have been well cared for! Just don't no if iam jumping into a big headache or not, iv owned several fifth wheels, do the common problems that come with owning a motor home comparable to owning a fifth wheel? Besides the motor and transmission of course!
Old 04-09-2014, 06:48 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Better get an independent inspection. This is an 11 year old coach. Looks can be deceiving. Have it inspected prior to a purchase!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Even at 11 years old if it has been maintained properly it could very well be the last coach you will buy, they are that solid and nice of a coach. My 15 year old American coach product with 95,000 miles and normal maintence is sound and has many more years of touring in her. Have it inspected and make sure EVERY system works properly and have at least oil analysis done on the engine and transmission.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post

Even at 11 years old if it has been maintained properly it could very well be the last coach you will buy, they are that solid and nice of a coach. My 15 year old American coach product with 95,000 miles and normal maintenance is sound and has many more years of touring in her. Have it inspected and make sure EVERY system works properly and have at least oil analysis done on the engine and transmission.
Well said, I recently purchased an 04' American eagle 42.5. Again the unit has a mechanical trail of paperwork and was very well looked after. Lot of the time it is better to have an older unit that is regularly used then a new unit that sits. You willi love the Coach. Great quality in all systems. Mine has many updates, furniture, TV;s and such that makes a big difference. Good Luck!! Scott
Scottspence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice! It's from a wholesale dealer and they said they do an inspection before they actually purchase the coach and they said it all came back good! The motor home has 76000 miles on it But I will be sure to ask for some paper work on it all to see what all was inspected! Thanks again!
Old 04-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
The Tradition is a fine coach, and AC support both at the factory and on the tech phone line is excellent.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:17 AM   #9

Please do your own inspection if capable or pay to have one done. I personally would not take a wholesale dealers word that their inspection came back good. I looked at literally dozens of MH over a years span many of them bought by wholesale dealers at auction and the most common fact was that most of them had issues of varying severity.
At the very least arrange for at least one day "camping" in the MH. During that time try out every switch, button, breaker etc. in the coach, not once but two or three times. Have the A/C's run for several hours both on AC and generator. Run the gen. for several hours and be sure to use the inverter for the TV's and microwave. If at all possible test out the grey and black tank dumping systems, I found one that both handles were disconnected!
When all that is done and noted tell them you want at least a 25 to 50 mile test ride, they might resist, tell them you will pay for the diesel but that is the true test of the MH. Oh yeah tires, be sure and determine the age and if they have 5 or more years on them negotiate replacement cost in your negotiation.

Tradition are great coaches and there are a lot of them out there so be cautious in relying on someone else's inspection.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #10

Searching for the location of where the left turn signal switch would be located in a 2003 Fleetwood American Tradition. Signal stopped working...already checked bulbs and fuses.
sgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post
Searching for the location of where the left turn signal switch would be located in a 2003 Fleetwood American Tradition. Signal stopped working...already checked bulbs and fuses.
My relay for that is under the entry steps