Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #1

2003 Georgie Boy Pursuit

So we're || this close to putting in an offer on a 2003 Georgie Boy Pursuit. The coach is a 1-owner, was stored indoors, and is in impeccable condition (we saw it before the dealer had a chance to clean it, they took it in trade, and they're not going to need to do much). We haven't test-driven it yet, we'll do that on Saturday, but unless something major comes up, this is likely going to be our first mh, and we're very excited.

That being said, does anyone know where I can find a brochure for this vehicle? My google-fu is failing me, and I want to make sure what was optional and what was standard as I work on the negotiations. The dealer ask is a non-starter, but they currently have it on hold for another customer (that isn't going to buy it, the salesman already told us that customer is buying another coach), and the amount they're telling me that deal was for is also a non-starter, they're too high. I have access to the NADA appraisal guide, so I know what the current wholesale & retail is(base - but I need to figure in the options), and that's where I"ll be negotiating from - but want to make sure I give them credit for condition and options. It's probably worth more than average retail in the condition it's in, but it's not worth the $9k over retail they are asking, and it sure isn't worth the $17k over wholesale that their ask price is.

So - that's my longwinded way of asking for help. Does anyone have a resource?

TIA!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #2

TIA,
Welcome and I wish you great luck on your MH. If the dealer knows you want it bad he will hold to his price. Make sure the tires are not more than about three years old, and if they are figure on what it will cost to replace them. CHECK IT OUT! Just because it looks good, don't mean it is. I hope you found a CHERRY! Best of luck and let us know if you drive her home!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #3

I know to check the tires - I just talked to the sales guy and he told us that they have a huge binder the owner gave them which has all the books, everything tabbed out, etc. My kind of guy, I'd do the same thing. I"m hoping he has service records and such in there.

Dealer knows we want it, but I've made it /very/ clear that I will not get emotionally attached to it, and if we can't do a deal, I'll walk - there are tons of units out there in my price range, and I'm sure I'll find something, even if it's not this one. I am a pretty tough negotiator, and I won't let myself get taken. Hubby loves going car shopping with me. The sales drones always ignore me and concentrate on him, then when we're sitting at the table he tells them not to talk to him, they need to talk to me. Last car we bought for him, we got REALLY close on numbers, but it was not a pretty round number, and I wanted a pretty round number ( ) So I told them no deal unless they knocked the $75 off to MAKE it a pretty round number.

The sales manager looked at me in disbelief and said 'you'd walk away from this deal over $75?'

I looked back at him and said 'You would LET me walk away from this deal over $75?'

I got my deal.

I don't NEED a MH, and I certainly don't need THIS one, so I'm in a position of power. Are they likely to sell it easily if it falls through? Sure. But do you want to turn away the people with check in hand and hope for the next guy if you're close?

I just want to make sure I'm reasonable. I have no problem with them making a profit off me, but they're not going to make their month off me.

Oh, and I'm AmyJo. TIA is 'thanks in advance'.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
AmyJo- Here's the specs for a 2000, Hopefully it will give you a basic idea what is standard and optional for most Georgie Boy Pursuit models.
Georgie Boy: 2000 Pursuit

I've had 2 Georgie Boys, a 90 Cruise Master and my Landau. I have enjoyed both. I bought the Landau new because of the construction of the 1st rig.

Good luck on your negotiations. Keep us posted...
Hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
what chassis? What the title situation?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
AmyJo- Here's the specs for a 2000, Hopefully it will give you a basic idea what is standard and optional for most Georgie Boy Pursuit models.
Georgie Boy: 2000 Pursuit

I've had 2 Georgie Boys, a 90 Cruise Master and my Landau. I have enjoyed both. I bought the Landau new because of the construction of the 1st rig.

Good luck on your negotiations. Keep us posted...
Thank you! That's the closest I've seen, the only other brochure I've found was for the 2009, which is definitely not what I want to be looking at.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
what chassis? What the title situation?
It's a Ford chassis (3205DS), clean title, no liens. Wholesale book is $24k, retail book is $31k, asking is $39.9k and they tell me the deal that's falling through was for $36k. I'm looking to deal at $30-32k which would still give them a profit (no way they gave the owner much more than wholesale on it at trade-in). It does have the upgraded generator (Onan 5.5kw instead of the 4.0), the previous owner swapped out the TVs for flat-panel LCDs, which is an upgrade we would've done anyway, so that saves me a few $$. It also has both the convection microwave and the stove/oven combo, which I hadn't seen on anything else we'd looked at - generally it's a regular microwave with the stove/oven. It also has dual couches (one sleeper, on jacknife) instead of the couch/chair, which I like better and which works for our lifestyle more. It also makes it more appealing for my niece who is likely to borrow it, so that's a consideration (it's just hubby & me, our kids are adults - but my niece has 5 little kids, and this would be perfect for them to use for weekends at the shore, when we're not using it). It'd probably sleep all of them with no problem between the bedroom, the 2 couches and the dinette.

I'm willing to go a little higher if they throw in some stuff - maybe 2 or 3 years on a warranty, and install an inverter. Not sure what the markup is on the warranties, but I'm sure it's ridiculous, so it wouldn't cost them as much to throw on as it would for me to buy it. Since it's my first coach, I'd like to have that at least. And I definitely want an inverter.

So that gets me to maybe $35k /out the door/. I'm not willing to go higher than that. My parents have been rving for 30 years, and dad is telling me that on a $40k ask I should go in with my first offer around $28. That seems low to me, which is why I'm figuring to start at $30-32.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have the bases covered... but on very clean units dealers will likely let the unit rot before moving them into the hands of an interested owner.
GB is a well built coach from the units Ive had the pleasure of looking at.
$35k is a solid price for something of that vintage and in the condition you described.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
You have the bases covered... but on very clean units dealers will likely let the unit rot before moving them into the hands of an interested owner.
GB is a well built coach from the units Ive had the pleasure of looking at.
$35k is a solid price for something of that vintage and in the condition you described.
Thanks.

Just got a call from the sales manager, they released the previous deposit from the deal that fell through, so we did put a deposit down.

Sales manager is telling me that his sales guy misspoke, the previous deal was actually for $38k, not $36k. I have a hard time buying that, but I suppose it's possible. The reason I have a hard time buying it is that the deal that fell through was for a family member of the salesman who decided to go Class C instead of A, I'm SURE he knows how much it was for.

So he's trying to get $38k out of it, but I have to believe that if I tell him that $35k or 36k /out the door/ (which means all taxes/licensing/title fees etc.) is as high as I'm going to go, he'll concede. He's still going to be making money, I don't know that he'll want to let it sit on his lot when I've got a check in hand.

If he does, then we'll walk away. I won't be happy about it, but it's just a vehicle, even if it's a nice one. There are more nice ones out there.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

There aren't many, if any, options that would materially affect the price of that coach. At 10 years old, condition is everything and a nice rig will likely sell above book. But you are already well above book value and more than any lender would go for, so your offer seems good to me. If they balk, maybe they'll call back in a week or two.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
There aren't many, if any, options that would materially affect the price of that coach. At 10 years old, condition is everything and a nice rig will likely sell above book. But you are already well above book value and more than any lender would go for, so your offer seems good to me. If they balk, maybe they'll call back in a week or two.
I may have hurt myself there by telling them I was looking to put 50% down - even if they want more than the bank would finance for, we're WELL below that on what we'd need to get the deal done.

Eh. Whatever. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. we've got LOTS of time before next season, and now is when more people are upgrading, so there are more and more used units coming in.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

You have the right attitude!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
You have the right attitude!
One thing I've never done is get emotionally attached to /things/. Things are very, very easily replaceable, I don't have the bucks to own anything "unique". So whatever I like is sure to have a counterpart somewhere, even if it means I drive a bit (which we don't mind, heck, we're going to be driving lots in the mh anyway!) or if it takes me a few more months to find the right fit.

And I know if I give them my bottom-line price and they won't meet it, chances are good that I'll either not make it off the lot before they want to talk some more, or I'll get a call after a few weeks if there's no other interest. I'm in no hurry - whatever I get is going to end up in storage for the winter anyway, so if I buy in December instead of October, I've saved myself a few hundred dollars in storage fees.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
next time you go... print out 2 or 3 ads with RVs for sale. Make them private party units and keep asking to get your deposit back so you can move on one of the units in your "stack".