Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #1

2003 Holiday Rambler

I just bought a 2003 Holiday Rambler 34 PDT. On page 240 of the owner's manual it mentions a 130 Watt inverter with an on off switch. I have searched the motor home high and low, but have not been able to locate it anywhere. Is there anyone out there who can help me out on this one.
It may even have the optional converter/inverter, it has all the other options.
Koele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #2

I have a 34PBD and mine has a remote button labeled INVERT on the XANTREX controller. Should be in a cabinet over the entry door. Push it and a red LED lights next to the button showing it is on as well as the current draw. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	42817  
Old 07-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #3

Hidden Inverter, 34PDT Holiday Rambler

Thank you for the response and the picture. Unfortunately it did not solve my problem. In the cabinet above the entrance there is only a small box having to do with the carefree awning. The main control panel in the passage way is almost identical to the one you showed, but it does not have the 'invert' button or switch.
The previous owner is currently overseas and I cannot contact him.
Any other suggestions? As stated earlier according to the 2003 Owner's Manual it should have at least the 130W inverter.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With an inverter that small, it would exist only to run the TV/VCR/etc. I had a Vectra set up like that, and the inverter switch was in the overhead compartment next to the TV. Hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #5

I just realized you H/R is a Vacationer... my fault for not paying attention. I did a little digging and it would appear that your motorhome did not come with an inverter as standard equipment. However, there were 2 options available. The first being a small 130 watt unit probably used to run the TV. It seems to be located up front in the overhead cabinets with the video equipment. The second option was a 1500 watt inverter. If you have this option, the motorhome would have 2 additional 6 volt batteries (4 total) installed from the factory. Someone could have installed 2 additional batteries for the additional capacity however, since you don't have the controller with the "INVERT" button pictured earlier, I'm guessing you don't have this as a factory installed option. I believe this would have been a combo unit (inverter/converter) installed in one of the rear storage bays. Take a look and see what unit you have installed back there. **DISCLAIMER** All this info was gathered from research and not from firsthand experience so I apologize in advance if you discover something different. Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 07-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #6

Smile Holiday Rambler inverter

Thanks everyone for your responses. Much appreciated. In the mean time I got word back from the HR manufacturer that my particular unit did not come equipped with an inverter.

I resolved the issue as follows. Last year I bought a 760 W Schumacher inverter for a different job. I've mounted it in the locker with the shore cable and converter. Actually I could just connect the inverter to the converter's 12 V input/output lines. Considering that the converter's wattage and the inverter's wattage is about the same I did not worry too much about the thickness of the cables.
To make things almost 'dummy' proof, I need to unplug the converter from 120V supply and plug in the inverter into the same outlet. (I made up a cable with two male ends, plug it in first and then turn on the inverter) I have now 120V on all my outlets, quite OK for the TV, laptop, printer, and even the hair curler.
On the dash I have a one liner above the gen set start button, 'unplug inverter'
Old 07-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holy Moly...! Good luck with that. Your idea of "dummy proof" is a lot different than mine... I would think of that more as "designing for disaster".
Old 10-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There is an HR 34 PDT for sale right now on RVTrader and Ebay. I love the layout and wish it were closer to me so I could go check it out (1,200 hundred miles). Still thinking about it though. Am interested in hearing how 'koele' likes theirs. Sent them a private message with my phone # but haven't heard from them yet.
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Dummy proof until that day when you (or some helpful assistant) plugs in the shore cord without unplugging that inverter. It WILL happen some day!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
There is an HR 34 PDT for sale right now on RVTrader and Ebay. I love the layout and wish it were closer to me so I could go check it out (1,200 hundred miles). Still thinking about it though. Am interested in hearing how 'koele' likes theirs. Sent them a private message with my phone # but haven't heard from them yet.
Sorry Gerryl
Your private message got accidently erased. Please send it once more. I can give you detailed information about the HR. We really like its layout. I did install airbags for a better ride, drove somewhat like a 'wet towel' before.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
OK, sent several times, as I was not sure it was going through.
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote