Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2010, 12:57 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
2004 Alfa SeeYa

MY WIF AND i AR LOOKING AT A 36 FT ALFA SEE YA 2004 IT IS IN GREAT SHAPE CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF IT IS A BAD MOVE OR GOOD MOVE

tHANKS rICKJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
paz

Rick, as you probably know, Alfa is no longer in business. The appliances in the RV are made by others as is the drive train and chassis, and parts for those will be available. However if you need parts that are specific to Alfa you may need to do some searching to find them. Availability of things like wiring diagrams could also be a problem should you ever need them.

You'll have to decide if the price is good enough to take a chance on a motorhome whose manufacturer is out of business. For me, the price would have to be REAL good, but then I tend to be very conservative and don't like risk. Others may have a different opinion.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Alfas are a love 'em/hate 'em kind of thing. They have some design attributes, like high ceilings & cabinets. that some rave about and others wouldn't own. If it works for you and the price is right, do it.

The chassis is Freightliner and the appliances industry standard stuff. Not much risk there, unless you need a replacement front or rear cap. Those are custom fiberglass peices and I don't know who, if anybody, has the molds to make new ones.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #4

IIRC there have been some ugly issues with siding delamination especially if you are in or go to cold climates. I like the high ceilings of the Alfa but would be hesitant to take the risk.

Steve
Old 10-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The sidewall problem should already be evident on a 2004 IF they are going to occur. "Should" is not a guarantee, though...
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #6

Rick,

We have a 06 Alfa and enjoy it very much. After Alfa went out of business a group of the service folks and others started Alfateers. This is a service center that has access to all the parts that you would need. I would recomend that you sign into the SeeYa group in Yahoo Groups and you can read all the Good and Bad..
Old 10-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #7

For me more of a concern than Alfa going out of business would be if their build quality was up to a standard you could live with. I have not been impressed with the ones I have seen. They were famous for offering a lot for the money, but to me there were lots of corners cut when they were made. By the way I am no expert on those motor homes, I am only stating what I have observed from quick glances.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
As others have said most of the appliances and components will be generic, as will the chassis....I think you can find a "stinker" no matter what manufacturer you decide on- most manufacturers have had some sort of recall wether it be, paint issues, fiberglass problems, axle and suspension issues and so on....Fleetwood and Monaco owne alot of the "orphaned" Brands now , not to mention other manufactures that are gone(eg.Winnibago, National)...Tiffin I believe is the last stand alone "Mom and Pop" type manufacturer left with that personal touch and customer service....If you drive the unit and like the way it handles and the Fiberglass, roof and seals are all in good shape as well as the Engine and Chassis having service records available, I think it's a matter of weather you like the unit or not... Any Boat or corvette repair shop could probably fix a fiberglass cap issue, I personally like the way The Alfa'a look...I think It's all a matter of personal prefference... This is just my take on it.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #9

Alfa See Ya from an owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Johnson View Post
MY WIF AND i AR LOOKING AT A 36 FT ALFA SEE YA 2004 IT IS IN GREAT SHAPE CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF IT IS A BAD MOVE OR GOOD MOVE

tHANKS rICKJ
I am an owner of an Alfa See Ya and have had this motorhome for 8 years. My wife and I have thoroughly loved it all these years. It has been very comfortable, lots of storage, and rides great when on the road. Yes, there have been some problems with it, but most owners like ourselves have dealt with those problems as they came up. We heard that these problems were similar with most other RVs built in the 2000's. Early in the 2000's, several people were very upset with the company (now out of business) and posted a lot of negative information about the company and its employees....mostly not true, but this information seems to propagate on the internet. I noticed a lot of folks have posted their opinions who don't even own one of these vehicles....notice how bad information seems to continue. Anyway, the appliances are all standard as in other RVs, as is the chassis (freightliner) and engine (Caterpiller 350 - C7). If the owner, as we have, has kept up with the upkeep and regular maintenance, they should have had excellent performance and reliability, as we have had. After Alfa went under, some of their maintenance folks bought out their equipment and have a great support business called Alfateers, in California. I have used their services such as replacing a basement door, and several windows. They always have what I need and have shipped across the country when I couldn't get to California to install the item. I suggest that if you are interested in purchasing an Alfa See Ya motorhome, talk with some owners to get their version of how they like the unit, not someone who is just passing on someone else's opinion.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewellz View Post
As others have said most of the appliances and components will be generic, as will the chassis....I think you can find a "stinker" no matter what manufacturer you decide on- most manufacturers have had some sort of recall wether it be, paint issues, fiberglass problems, axle and suspension issues and so on....Fleetwood and Monaco owne alot of the "orphaned" Brands now , not to mention other manufactures that are gone(eg.Winnibago, National)...Tiffin I believe is the last stand alone "Mom and Pop" type manufacturer left with that personal touch and customer service....If you drive the unit and like the way it handles and the Fiberglass, roof and seals are all in good shape as well as the Engine and Chassis having service records available, I think it's a matter of weather you like the unit or not... Any Boat or corvette repair shop could probably fix a fiberglass cap issue, I personally like the way The Alfa'a look...I think It's all a matter of personal prefference... This is just my take on it.

Little correction here: Tiffen-Winnebago-Newmar are all little to no debt companies. They all weathered the storm.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #11

Home
Old 06-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #12

PDR John - I have posted this before but will add it in again. Companies stay in business or go out of business in hard times due to a variety of factors. In many cases it is the higher cost better quality makers that do not survive. Buyers purchase cheaper makes when times are tough because they don't have the money or are concerned about the future.

Did Duesenberg, Cord, or Auburn go out of business because they were not making a quality product. Absolutely not. During the great depression high end buyers just became too scarce.

Debt is certainly a factor is being able to last through a downturn. But lack of debt has little bearing on the integrity or quality of the item made.

I have never owned a Tiffin, Winny, or Newmar so I have no first hand experience on the quality of their products. But based on what I know about economics it is likely that they stayed in business partially by people moving down in the recession that started in 2008 and not buying the top end more expensive machines made by Country Coach, Travel Supreme, Blue Bird, and Monaco.

One of the very nice things about shopping for a high quality product that people are scared to buy is that you get a very good price. When we bought our beautiful Affinity we paid tens of thousands under the wholesale book. We have never had one single issue with getting repairs done.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
A Monaco is not a high end MH. My sister bought a 2011 Monaco at a price several thousand dollars less than my same size 2011 Winny Adventurer. We both paid end of year prices.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
I have never owned a Tiffin, Winny, or Newmar so I have no first hand experience on the quality of their products. But based on what I know about economics it is likely that they stayed in business partially by people moving down in the recession that started in 2008 and not buying the top end more expensive machines made by Country Coach, Travel Supreme, Blue Bird, and Monaco
Obviously you've never priced a Tiffin or Newmar have you? We have a Dutch Star, Newmar doesn't even consider it to be a "luxury" motorhome but the last one we priced out was $376,000. The King Air goes for over $800,000.
And frankly I'd put a Dutch Star up against any on your list but a Blue Bird.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote