RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #43

Not sure why some people will take a general comment about hp and torque, and somehow think it is a personal insult. When referring to body getting old and mind not, was talking about myself.and not referring to your driving ability, or experience' or age. I am sorry you were offended, believe me, none of my comments were directed at you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #44

Orphan vs. active manufacture

CC did a good job not the best, not the worst.
Some say they where bought out by Winnebago.
That is not true. CC closed its doors after building its last coach in 2009.
All itís property went to auction. Winnie later bought what was remaining. Not much but a wonderful area to manufacture RVs. Good people to hire from with previous exspieience. Close to Monico and Marathon. Good location to sell to the West Coast which was Country Coaches primary direction. It was Lazy Days that made them popular East of the Mississippi. That Lazy Days is gone and so is CC.
You are describing a coach that will have problems simply because of its age.
Windows, invertors, tires and brakes. Not to mention satellite and antenna updates. Donít forget Crestor updates that are expensive. There is a lot more to consider. Who are you going to call. There is no one home. If you buy from a premium dealer in Junction City you have a large degree of support and exspieience. That is if you can run up to Oregon for service.
Magna 630 is pretty. The CAT is tops there is a lot to go wrong especially pre 2006.
Personally I would only go with an active manufacture. Anyone really need a RoadTrek. lol

Old 03-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMouser View Post
All itís property went to auction. Winnie later bought what was remaining. Not much but a wonderful area to manufacture RVs. Good people to hire from with previous exspieience. Close to Monico and Marathon. Good location to sell to the West Coast which was Country Coaches primary direction. It was Lazy Days that made them popular East of the Mississippi. That Lazy Days is gone and so is CC.
Windows, invertors, tires and brakes. Not to mention satellite and antenna updates. Donít forget Crestor updates that are expensive. There is a lot more to consider. Who are you going to call. There is no one home. If you buy from a premium dealer in Junction City you have a large degree of support and exspieience. That is if you can run up to Oregon for service.
Magna 630 is pretty. The CAT is tops there is a lot to go wrong especially pre 2006.
Personally I would only go with an active manufacture. Anyone really need a RoadTrek. lol
Nailed it. Great post.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:58 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMouser View Post
Thank you for reiterating what I was trying to say previously.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:07 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Not sure why some people will take a general comment about hp and torque, and somehow think it is a personal insult. When referring to body getting old and mind not, was talking about myself.and not referring to your driving ability, or experience' or age. I am sorry you were offended, believe me, none of my comments were directed at you.
I took offence to your comments as you were condescending and you quoted me directly in your posts. Not a general comment to a thread IMHO. You then proceeded to insinuate that I was an old fogey that likes to drive 55 and blah blah blah...make sense now?

Why is it that some folks find it so easy to type yet it's so difficult for them to actually read.

Just a general statement
Old 03-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #48

Country Coach Owners Club
"Some say they where bought out by Winnebago.
All itís property went to auction. Winnie later bought what was remaining."

This is not true. CC filed bankruptcy and most assets were sold off. The remaining assets were purchased by Ron Lee who was trying to bring back the CC brand. Financing couldn't be obtained and the total build under Ron was one unit. He sold all of the property to Winne who was supposedly going to start CC production in '18 according to the Winnie plant manager who addressed our CC club. As we know this never happened.

Ron suffered a stroke in, I think late December,early January, and passed away shortly after.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Autocorrect? I know you know Dynomax.
Oops!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #50

Hate to admit it, [on my 4th Foretravel], but had a buddy with a 01 Magna, and the coach manuals, schematics, diagrams, etc, were way more comprehensive than mine. You should not have any problems repairing it if you have a little bit of mechanical ability, or know someone that does.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:07 AM   #51

Burner, for whatever itís worth: we bought a 2001 Monaco Windsor which I realize doesnít equate to your comparison... but... something I learned about year 2000 to 2005 coaches is that the fiberglass during this period is notorious for checking. Apparently most all manufacturers used the same fiberglass and resin supplier (Crane I believe?) who supplied defective resin during this time. But donít take my word as fact... it could be worth looking up if the exterior finish is important to you. The checking problem revealed itself when darkly painted fiberglass, in particular, was exposed to heat (sun) for extended periods of time. Itís not a structural issue Iím told however. Still... our coach does have some checking... the Newmar wouldnít have that issue. Wondering if the CC might? It bothers me a little that ours has the checking... but ours wasnít garage kept for part of its life.

Iíve also noticed with our coach the dings, dents, and scratches that come from being well-used and/or lived in. Those things donít show up in photos. Being a perfectionist, however, the bruises catch my eye. The Newmar seems to be in much more pristine shape? Still hard to tell from photos. And if you plan to use the coach like we do, itís nice not worrying if weíll muck anything up when we go camping.

Of course with the CC, no def, right? And those early to mid-00 RVs do seem to have exceptional build quality. Iíve always been fond of the Country Coaches too... but one with a slide was out of our price range darn it.

I donít envy your decision... we looked for almost a year before going with a coach being sold literally 2 miles away. And ya know, itís turned out to be exactly the right coach for us. I still enjoy looking at RVs but Iíve seen nothing that makes me regret our decision.
LunarLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #52

MMouser

"CC did a good job not the best, not the worst."

"Magna 630 is pretty. The CAT is tops there is a lot to go wrong especially pre 2006."

Well I had to comment on this. The first comment on CC doing a 'good job no the best, not the worst'. While no Coach Manufacturer is ever perfect. I'd consider the CC coaches, especially in the Magna range, to be towards the top of the pecking order as far as quality of build, components and materials. The CC unique Chassis is very hard to beat until you get up to the Prevost and perhaps Newell. Certainly equal, and better then some, of the unique Foretravel built chassis.

And when it comes to CC, the Pre 2006 Coaches, are typically considered by those who know CC, to be superior to those built 2007 and on. (And even the 2007 and on CC's, are still higher quality then many other manufactures of that ear.)

Sure, I owe a CC. But my short list included Beaver, Monaco Executive/Signature, Newmar Essex, Travel Supreme Select - to name a few. I felt for what my DW and I were looking for in a coach, that the Intrigue with CAT was the sweet spot in the CC lineup for the years I was considering. (This was back in 2008-2010, when we pulled up the purchase of our retirement rig early, due to the crash making higher end priced coaches a bargain.). And yep, ended up with an Allure, due to the DW loving the Galley (Happy Wife she be!).

Opinions will vary, and that's ok. But I did disagree with these two comments in regards to CC's of that era. Nothing wrong with a Newmar, for sure. But between those two coaches, no contest the 04 Magna would meet the OP's objective of an great coach invest the funds into he is talking about. And I again personally feel that in another 10 years, the more solid foundation of the chassis and coach build - would make the Magna a more desirable coach in 10 years.

OK for you to disagree with me. That's what this info sharing is all about on these forums, peoples opinions!

Best to you, and the OP on his hunt,
Smitty
Old 03-14-2019, 02:30 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There were a few CC's registered as 2010's. The highest Affinity/Magna # I've seen is 7032. My '09 Magna is 6999 produced in May 2008.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #54

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
MMouser

"CC did a good job not the best, not the worst."

"Magna 630 is pretty. The CAT is tops there is a lot to go wrong especially pre 2006."

Well I had to comment on this. The first comment on CC doing a 'good job no the best, not the worst'. While no Coach Manufacturer is ever perfect. I'd consider the CC coaches, especially in the Magna range, to be towards the top of the pecking order as far as quality of build, components and materials. The CC unique Chassis is very hard to beat until you get up to the Prevost and perhaps Newell. Certainly equal, and better then some, of the unique Foretravel built chassis.

And when it comes to CC, the Pre 2006 Coaches, are typically considered by those who know CC, to be superior to those built 2007 and on. (And even the 2007 and on CC's, are still higher quality then many other manufactures of that ear.)

Sure, I owe a CC. But my short list included Beaver, Monaco Executive/Signature, Newmar Essex, Travel Supreme Select - to name a few. I felt for what my DW and I were looking for in a coach, that the Intrigue with CAT was the sweet spot in the CC lineup for the years I was considering. (This was back in 2008-2010, when we pulled up the purchase of our retirement rig early, due to the crash making higher end priced coaches a bargain.). And yep, ended up with an Allure, due to the DW loving the Galley (Happy Wife she be!).

Opinions will vary, and that's ok. But I did disagree with these two comments in regards to CC's of that era. Nothing wrong with a Newmar, for sure. But between those two coaches, no contest the 04 Magna would meet the OP's objective of an great coach invest the funds into he is talking about. And I again personally feel that in another 10 years, the more solid foundation of the chassis and coach build - would make the Magna a more desirable coach in 10 years.

OK for you to disagree with me. That's what this info sharing is all about on these forums, peoples opinions!

Best to you, and the OP on his hunt,
Smitty
Agree 100%. Have a buddy that sells rv's. He says a lot of buyers come in with a budget and say "What is the newest coach I can get with this amount of money?". They generally don't even look at, or drive a coach they think is too old. That's a shame.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
The ISL should give you 7 mpg, the Cat maybe 5. 10 miles away or 2000. Tile floor or carpet. Biggest negative is the NoCold in a slide but there is room above it to put in a Samsung.

Well I own one and avg 7.5mpg doing 70mph from NH to Nevada on Hy 80.

Power is amazing.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
Well I own one and avg 7.5mpg doing 70mph from NH to Nevada on Hy 80.

Power is amazing.

I did hand check this.

2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, newmar