Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-26-2015, 07:07 AM   #1
2004 Damon intruder brakes

Brake questions/discussion.

I have a 2004 Damon intruder model 350f ford f53. 24000 miles and recently replaced wheel bearings and brakes. Preventative maintence particularly on bearings. No issues on them. On brakes front had a lot of pad left but 11 years old replaced with napa super duty pads. On rear, had just started hearing some grinding and upon inspection the passenger side caliper had a missing pad. Metal part still there but pad material was gone. Looked like rust may have been a factor (live in colorado where rust is less common).

Replaced pads. Had rotors(all 4) Turned and they are still in minimum thickness spec.

On calipers replaced cylinder boots (dry, some heat damage maybe)

Replaced brake fluid using dot 4 heavy duty.

Pads used napa premium super duty on all four corners.

Brake Hoses looked good and did not replace.

Question/issue; I seem to have some brake fade that I did not have originally. I'm original owner of this rv. On first trip with work completed I attempted a quick stop to try and make a turn...initially brakes hooked up but just did not bring the speed down like I was used to with original brakes.

Napa had a lower grade pad recommendation ( actually was spec for rear but I did the "give me the best" option). I'm now wondering if what I got was a pad that while super duty may be a pad for long life (ups truck style?). I'm going to talk to napa and see if I step down maybe those pads have more grip. Easy enough to replace pads and high mileage I don't need, rather have grip and less fade.

Any recommendations or thoughts?

Bakeryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 08:00 AM   #2
My experience may not be valid but I've always felt that brand new pads on freshly turned rotors do not stop well until "worn in" a little. Drive it around in town a little while and use them. Just don't get them hot while doing it.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT

2012 Nu Wa 363RSBDA
2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Duoglide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
Thank you for the reply.

I was wondering about a break in period in the pads. we used the rv pulling a atv trailer up in the mountains this weekend (trailer has brakes) and when heading out I was concerned but coming back (3 hour drive to Buena vista each way) I told my wife that they seemed a little better.

Will drive it around this weekend without trailer for comparison.

Thanks again
Old 05-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you've done enough driving and normal braking to break-in the pads. Now is time for "bedding-in" the pads to the rotors. Google it and you'll understand.
When I replaced all the pads on my Ford chassis, they stopped OK at lower speeds but just didn't seem to generate enough grab to stop like it should at speed. I had to do a quick stop from 50 mph for a red light and felt there was no way I could stop in time and would roll thru the intersection and T-bone some poor soul. I stood on the pedal with both feet and finally the brakes started grabbing good and I stopped just in time with a bit of smoke from the wheels and strong smell of hot brake pads. Brakes have worked like champ ever since then.
1995 Coachmen Santara 360MB 36' w/slide.
Ford F53/460 chassis, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee "toad"
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you condemn the pads, did you break them in (bedding) and cure the pads?

Bedding cures and hardens the pad material at high temperature. If you fail to bed, the pads cannot dissipate the heat and start fading early.

Try this:

2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #6
Thank you for the Bedding tip. Was not aware. Ironic however in that this weekend I tested them pretty aggressive and they did seem to grab a little better but did not attempt a higher speed panic type stop as I was being careful. I'll look at the links to get a better feel for the proper Bedding process and see what happens. The responses make a lot of sense and hope that works

brake, brakes, damon