Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #1

2004 Damon P32 Workhorse 8.1 wont't start

Two weeks ago, I start RV drove it about 3 miles came home and parked it! Went to start it yesterday, battery totally dead! Pulled battery, (dead cell) so bought a brand new battery, installed it, thinking problem was solved, wrong! Tried it all lights on dash, headlights, all working, turned over 1 time then nothing! It has a brand new starter, I don't have an on board generator( use portable)! But I have checked all fuses, breakers, and nothing is blowed or thrown! Tried jump starting with cables attached to new battery and also ground to frame and still nothing more than 1 turn over! Any suggestions???
Pstoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Wish I could help but I am far from being a mechanic! Hopefully someone will be along that can advise you!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #3

Check your connections, especially at the starter. The hot wire, ground and trigger wire connections have to be clean an tight. If you had a new starter put in by anyone but yourself they may have not cleaned the connectors or tightened the connections enough.
TheWoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #4

I believe I have read on here that the ignition switch itself sometimes causes this. I tried to do a forum search so that I could provide a link or two but as usual, couldn't get it to pull up what I was looking for.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodBoss View Post
Check your connections, especially at the starter. The hot wire, ground and trigger wire connections have to be clean an tight. If you had a new starter put in by anyone but yourself they may have not cleaned the connectors or tightened the connections enough.
^^^This. Power comes to starter from chassis cut off...then to dash lights and switch. Had the exact same thing happen to our past '05 Vacationer. Had some corrosion between starter wiring and terminals. Cleaned up wiring w/new terminals - no problems there after.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:56 AM   #6
Lit

National RV Owners Club
I had the same problem several years ago.

You have received the best advice from TheWoodBoss, "corrosion between starter wiring and terminals" and make sure they are snug.
Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:06 AM   #7

Thank you, I have been reading forums for a couple of years, just never joined!! Have learned some valuable information on these forums!
Old 11-09-2019, 07:17 AM   #8

Thank you to all of you that have given me a way to go! I did put the starter on myself in June! It is raining at the moment but as soon as it stops, I am going to clean all wiring at starter, check it good and go from there! I am praying that is the problem, if not the next step is to pull the starter back off and test it! Definitely will report back! Again, Thanks for shaing your knowledge!
Old 11-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #9

Well guys, pulled starter even tho, it was brand new, one place told me starter was good, and another told me starter was bad (go figure)! So got another brand new starter, put it on, tried to fire her up and just clicking, so still not running! Gonna go out and check ignition switch, but I am stumped on this!
Old 11-16-2019, 03:01 PM   #10

Ok pulled ignition switch, no burnt places on plugs or switch! Any suggestions!
Old 11-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #11

Did that motor have the distributor that looks like 4 fingers flat out opposing sides.I had GMs vehicles "not truck"at around that year , one had large crank sensor one distributor with small regular cap.I remember one with cap ignition coil wire stud rotted turned to dust ran fine shut it off then no start.
It is still just no spark fight now.?
Its a GM truck motor there should many forums , videos how to troubleshoot no spark.
AutoZone can test ignition module.There is a ignition and pcm fuse I have never blow one if those.There's a reluctor in dist not often bad. Ignition module more likely. Ignition coil .. Someone already mentioned bad rotor and checking 12v to distributor. Also check carbon brush in dist. cap. Forget bad tach your motors not that vintage.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstoney View Post
Two weeks ago, I start RV drove it about 3 miles came home and parked it! Went to start it yesterday, battery totally dead! Pulled battery, (dead cell) so bought a brand new battery, installed it, thinking problem was solved, wrong! Tried it all lights on dash, headlights, all working, turned over 1 time then nothing! It has a brand new starter, Any suggestions???
In order to really locate the problem, you will need either a 12 volt test light or a voltmeter with a DC setting (house current is AC). With either of these, go to the starter and connect the tester using the red lead to the small wire at the starter and the black wire at a clean ground. Have someone try to start it and see if you have 12 volts at that terminal. If you do, then the starter is bad. If you don't, then it's time to take the test somewhere else. (be sure to do this test in Park and in Neutral). The next place I'd go is to the ignition switch. With the black lead grounded to a clean ground, insert the red lead into each wire on the back of the ignition switch, turn it on and then to start. One of the wires will not come on until the ignition switch is in the start position. If none of them do this, then the ignition switch is bad. If one does, then it's time to determine how the Park/Neutral Safety switch works and diagnosis it. The electrical circuit that energizes the starter goes from the ignition switch, through the Park/Neutral Safety Switch and then to the starter (in most cases). The Park/neutral safety switch is usually connected to the shifter in the steering column, but it can also be located somewhere else (and connected to the shift linkage at that location)
ronmanfredi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:03 PM   #13

Found the problem!!! Yay!!!!

Just wanted to do a follow up! Now 3 months later just found the problem! After every wire was removed cleaned put back, every fuse was checked and every relay tested! Rereading the manual from front to back, noticed that it had mentioned a ground strap! Couldn’t find a ground strap, finally found one on the drivers side in middle of RV. Pulled it off, it looked beat up, called every place in Florida and a couple of places out of Florida! Found out it is not made any longer, kept looking online and finally found one that I thought might work! It came in I put it on, tried it and the RV fired right up!!! OMG what a nightmare these last 4 months have been, but I am one happy camper now!!! I have 5 months of camping to make up!!! Thanks for all the input from this forum, I did learn a lot I didn’t know!! Will continue to read the forum to continue learning!! Thanks again!!
Old 02-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the update, glad to hear you got it going.

Like you, I have more knowledge on certain subjects that I really didn't want to know anything about. Stuff happens.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damon, p32, workhorse