Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I removed our tube TV and replaced it with a Samsung LCD while we were camping in Niagara Falls at the KOA. There are some posts in the National RV Forum that I used as a guideline, and everything went well. I re-used the tube TV mounting plates - I had a local Car Audio shop modify them for me, and they also made me a small filler plate that is mounted at the top of the outer oak cover. The Samsung we got fits nicely side-to-side, but is a little short for the opening. I've been ok with this as I think I'll eventually add a surround sound bar to the opening that will take up this space anyway.

You can see some photos of our install here Rainy Day/TV Project Finished (almost) | Our RV Journey

If you have any questions, or want some more photos - I have them on my phone - just let me know.

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #30

I'm about 4/5ths the way done with my LED Samsung replacement. I installed mine in the fascia. Still need to add some weather strip round it. I have ~1/4" on each side and 3/16th on the bottom. I'll probably just put speaker cloth on the top gap. I'm going to wire me external speaker to the coach radio for Okie surround sound.

2Labs, is yours a LCD or LED?

I'll write up how I did mine, along with pictures, when I'm finished.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #31

I installed my 32" Samsung LED TV over the weekend. A friend came over and helped get the old RCA out. It had 3 bolts on each side of the bottom tray, a retaining bracket on the bottom front and two sheet metals screws at the top corners. I removed all but the back and front four bolts. We used some plywood and a 2x6 to support it so it didn't come crashing down and damage the plastic when I removed the front two bolts. Didn't budge. We had to use a crow bar to lift the front of the TV and slide it back so it would clear the top, front of the ceiling before it would drop down enough to be removed.

Thanks to Dick (Theberrys) and this link:

https://public.sn2.livefilestore.com...ack.jpg?psid=1

I attached my 13 lb Samung directly to the front fascia and filled the top gap with a length of 3" wide pine that I drilled several 1-1/2" holes in since it is not a front speaker TV. I stapled the blue burlap to the board. It scared me at first when I couldn't get it to come on with the remote, then realized the 1/4" weather stripping at the bottom was blocking the infrared sensor on the TV. I removed all of it and it works fine.

It was so much easier to do it this way (Thanks Dick) instead of buying or building a bracket to mount to the metal bottom or side trays that I also removed. There was some insulation at the top of the cap, but I shoved some more up there when the TV was out.

When I installed it back in the hole, it pretty much stayed in place so I could re-install the side fascia screws. I had to partially disassemble the entertainment cabinet so I could redo and label the jungle of cabling.

I had previously been using a 15" Phillips LCD TV when on battery power. It was rated at 240 watts. The Samsung is rated at 54, 29 nominal, and works fine off of my 400 watt inverter. This will definitely extend my battery life.

It was so easy to mount it this way. I just laid the TV on the floor, positioned the fascia over it and cut to fit the wood and aluminum. All wood mounts are pre-drilled, glued and screwed to the fascia and the 1" aluminum angle attaches to the VESA mounts. The only flex is the plastic housing of the TV.

Ready for install. The clear plastic tape is still on the TV for added protection.

Install complete. It looks like it came from the factory this way.

I'm really happy with the upgrade. Any questions about the install, post or PM me.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I'm about 4/5ths the way done with my LED Samsung replacement. I installed mine in the fascia. Still need to add some weather strip round it. I have ~1/4" on each side and 3/16th on the bottom. I'll probably just put speaker cloth on the top gap. I'm going to wire me external speaker to the coach radio for Okie surround sound.

2Labs, is yours a LCD or LED?

I'll write up how I did mine, along with pictures, when I'm finished.
We went with a Samsung LCD TV. I really liked the LED, it was a little thinner and lighter, but we got a great sale price on the LCD and its still a 1,000% better TV than what was in there.

I see that you have about the same size, maybe slightly larger gap at the top of your TV, as we do. We don't have any side or bottom gaps though. Our Samsung does have a curved bottom and I have it lined up just enough so that the cover panel hides the curve.

It's interesting that you chose to mount directly to the front fascia and keep the extended sides *BUT* with that setup, you don't have to make a cover panel for the cutout in the ceiling - which I have yet to do. I decided to go the other way and remove the side extensions so that the TV is at the same depth as the overhead cabinets. Yes, I have been a little lazy with making the ceiling cover panel (DW reminds me all the time) ... but I'm not sure what I want to do with it. Either a panel just for the hole, or maybe a full length piece that looks more like it was that way from the start.

I too used some thin weather strip on all the edges just to make sure all the edges were blacked out.

If you have not added a DTV adaptor to your batwing, definately do it. The additional channels and picture quality for OTR TV is awesome.

And hey ... I see you're watching speed and John Roberts ... great choice of channels. You must either be at home or have a satellite for your rig. Some form of a satellite dish is our next big upgrade. For now, we use either OTR or we use our Verizon Android SmartPhones and Slingbox into our cable TV at home. Both the DW and I have a slingbox at home (for the TV's on each of our desks), so as long as we have decent cell reception, we can watch anything from our home cable boxes and DVR's.

It's nice to have one for each as we can each slingbox to the Front and bedroom TV's if we want to watch something different .. or just slingbox to our phones.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post

Install complete. It looks like it came from the factory this way.
It looks like you're at home base doing this install ... just from the shot with the workshop bench.

I'm pretty proud that, with the help of iRV2 posts, I was able to do this entire modification while on our summer travels. I do carry a decent toolbox with us and with the help of a local car audio shop in Niagara Falls to do the metal work, I did our entire TV Swap from the comfort of our campsite at KOA Niagara Falls.

I think it just goes to show that with the help of the community, projects that look ominous can really be accomplished almost anywhere.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After removing the Samsung Tube TV Monster, we freed up some serious weight and space overhead. In the space that we gained, I installed our wifi ranger router as well as our Vonage phone router. They are both velcro'd to the plastic panel.

Unfortunately one of the tabs for the underside panel was broken and now without the big honkin' tv in place, it doesn't sit up there very well. So I do need to come up with a way (velcro to the rescue I bet) to get that underside panel to stay in place better.

But wow ... there is so much empty/extra space up there now it almost seems like a waste!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
We went with a Samsung LCD TV. I really liked the LED, it was a little thinner and lighter, but we got a great sale price on the LCD and its still a 1,000% better TV than what was in there.

I see that you have about the same size, maybe slightly larger gap at the top of your TV, as we do. We don't have any side or bottom gaps though. Our Samsung does have a curved bottom and I have it lined up just enough so that the cover panel hides the curve.

It's interesting that you chose to mount directly to the front fascia and keep the extended sides *BUT* with that setup, you don't have to make a cover panel for the cutout in the ceiling - which I have yet to do. I decided to go the other way and remove the side extensions so that the TV is at the same depth as the overhead cabinets. Yes, I have been a little lazy with making the ceiling cover panel (DW reminds me all the time) ... but I'm not sure what I want to do with it. Either a panel just for the hole, or maybe a full length piece that looks more like it was that way from the start.

I too used some thin weather strip on all the edges just to make sure all the edges were blacked out.

If you have not added a DTV adaptor to your batwing, definately do it. The additional channels and picture quality for OTR TV is awesome.

And hey ... I see you're watching speed and John Roberts ... great choice of channels. You must either be at home or have a satellite for your rig. Some form of a satellite dish is our next big upgrade. For now, we use either OTR or we use our Verizon Android SmartPhones and Slingbox into our cable TV at home. Both the DW and I have a slingbox at home (for the TV's on each of our desks), so as long as we have decent cell reception, we can watch anything from our home cable boxes and DVR's.

It's nice to have one for each as we can each slingbox to the Front and bedroom TV's if we want to watch something different .. or just slingbox to our phones.
I didn't do any research other than this site that was posted on page 1.
LED TV vs LCD TV : LCD TV Buying Guide covers LED vs LCD

I went with this Samsung because it was the only LED/LCD TV that was narrow enough to fit inside the existing fascia. I took off all the weather stripping except what was over the ears that mount to the fascia for better sound emittance.

I re-routed the cable jack to the outside bottom so I can plug in my cable when working on my Breeze at home, and yes that is the inside air conditioned work bench in my machine shop family room.

I was getting pretty good reception with the stock batwing antenna and a converter box for the 15" Phillips LCD at the dunes. We'll see how this does in about a month.

Quote:
It looks like you're at home base doing this install ... just from the shot with the workshop bench.

I'm pretty proud that, with the help of iRV2 posts, I was able to do this entire modification while on our summer travels. I do carry a decent toolbox with us and with the help of a local car audio shop in Niagara Falls to do the metal work, I did our entire TV Swap from the comfort of our campsite at KOA Niagara Falls.

I think it just goes to show that with the help of the community, projects that look ominous can really be accomplished almost anywhere.
I carry enough tools to the dunes to take care of any problem with the rail. I can't thank theberrys enough for the hint about mounting it to the fascia. It was basically plug-n-play with it built this way. Once it was aligned with the existing hole, it was simply shove it in and install the side screws.

Quote:
After removing the Samsung Tube TV Monster, we freed up some serious weight and space overhead. In the space that we gained, I installed our wifi ranger router as well as our Vonage phone router. They are both velcro'd to the plastic panel.

Unfortunately one of the tabs for the underside panel was broken and now without the big honkin' tv in place, it doesn't sit up there very well. So I do need to come up with a way (velcro to the rescue I bet) to get that underside panel to stay in place better.

But wow ... there is so much empty/extra space up there now it almost seems like a waste!
I should have taken some pics when I had the old RCA out. There's enough room up there to hide a body.

This is how I measured for the fascia mount. No trips to HD as I already had everything at home. I guess I could have used a single piece of wood and drilled it to match the VESA holes, but I think it would have blocked the AC input connector. If I ever do this again, I could alway make a cut-out for the AC.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #36

One thing about this Samsung is that it doesn't have any RCA output jacks. It does have a fixed level external "Audio Out" that is to be used to go to a stereo amp with a volume control. What I did to feed my in-dash radio so I could have semi surround sound out of my overhead speakers, was to add a female 1/8" jack on a removable panel on the back of the TV. There are two connector behind the panel with one being the audio feed to the internal speakers. I just happened to have some connectors in my spare parts bin that matched and made a Y connector to feed the jack. For some reason, when hooked up as stereo, there was loud hiss in the radio. I used the right channel and shorted the right and left tabs together at the female jack. I set the TV to MONO audio. That output feeds the cassette adapter that goes into my stock Jensen car radio. This way, I can vary the volume with just the TV remote, instead of having to change both the radio and the TV.

Tags
dolphin, removal