Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #1

2004 dolphin front tv removal

I just bought a Dolphin and it has an old version TV. I would like to replace it. Has anyone done this. I don't see any screws to remove. Can you maybe access it from underneath?

Thanks for any help.
Dawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I've done it. The cabinets to the right and left have wood plugs you need to remove. Under them you'll see the screws. Back those out and you can remove the front trim.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
BTW, if you have any difficulty shoot an email to me, a picture and I'll walk you through it. I put a 32 in mine before I traded it in. It was a fine gas coach.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #4

I have my eye on a 32" Samsung that is 1/4" smaller in width than the current opening of my stock RCA TV.

So, if I remove these plugs and screws on both sides, my fascia will come off? What about the sealant? Does that have to be cut away?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #5

Just bought and installed the Samsung-AWESOME
GuitarLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pictures?
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:30 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
go to this forums "National Motorhome" section. then do a search for "LED TV".. thats where I got my info to replace my tv. I even added some of my pictures. It will give a step by step and even recommends some brands for replacement TV.. You will want a TV with speakers on the front... Also be sure to have help th lift that old heavy TV,,
Old 09-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #8

Our '94 Fleetwood Southwind had a lower cabinet, as the diesel engine is in rear. I made the decision to use the Dash cowl that covered the old TV as the vinyl matched and it gave me the ability to install the bracket for the Samsung a bit higher. I moved it forward-towards the living quarters leaving about a 3/4" reveal. To cover the area on the dash where I moved the cowl forward (20.5x 7.5) I used 3/4 plywood that I covered with black vinyl (now an access panel)

I blacked out the vertical front (where the TV screen was) and installed a 1-gang receptacle using the old power cord of the old TV and a 1-gang cable plate for the coax, and a very compact swivel style TV mounting bracket I got from Radio Shack

If you look through previous threads I bet there are pics of an overhead TV installation. I'll take a couple of pics and post later.
GuitarLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #9

I've read all the TV conversion threads, but don't remember anything about the sealant at the joints. Does just the front fascia come off or all the way back to the entertainment cupboard?

Old 09-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Dunner: "So, if I remove these plugs and screws on both sides, my fascia will come off? What about the sealant? Does that have to be cut away?"

Yes, it was fairly easy to remove after the screws are backed out. I did not cut or score the sealant prior to removal. I mounted my 32 inch TV on a swing bracket and I used the bottom stand screws to hold it in place. I also placed rubber furniture feet along the sides sides (out of site, it was pretty clean install) to protect and keep everything quiet during transit.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Dunner, the whole front fascia and box comes off. I'm pretty sure there is a screw on top of the fascia that is centered that must be backed out as well.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #12

I remember reading about your swing out install.

So, the sealant just pulls off easily?

BRB, I'll go look for the top screw.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #13

No top screw in the front.

I got to thinking about the TV size. Maybe I should get one a little bigger that the Samsung that is less than 29.5. Something the fascia can butt up against. Thoughts about that???

Should I look for one with front speakers? And what about input ports?

I know nothing about LED OR LCD TVs. What should I look for? 720, 1080i? I'm really not too picky as long as I get a good signal. Are they all digital now? I have a converter that I use on my RCA and a 15" LCD.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have both 1080 and 720 and at the size of TV you are getting you will not notice the difference. Stick with name brands and use price from there and you will be fine. They will not need a converter.

LED is thinner LCD is thicker but lighter by a bit. LED TV vs LCD TV : LCD TV Buying Guide covers LED vs LCD This might have some info for you.

For a personal tutorial on the difference if there is a Best Buy close to you just go down and begin shopping. Those young kids in there seems to know a lot about this sort of thing and have helped me solve some AV problems just by talking to them. They are not on commission sales. Prices are not bad there but TV's are available all over the place and are marked down often.

One thing about your new TV that will impress you is the quality of picture you get from air antenna reception. It is all digital and HD etc; I do not have satelite so I cannot comment on that reception. We hook up to cable at what ever RV site we are at and so our reception is based on the quality they provide and sometimes great other times spotty.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin, removal