Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #1

2004 Dutch Star vs. 2004 Beaver Monterey Newport

Hey all, I'm comparing these two 40' MH's.

The floor plans are almost identical - the Beaver has a pull out queen bed on the passenger side with the Dutch Star has 2 recliners. Other than that the slides postions are identical.

Milage is 78K for the Beaver and only 33K on the Dutch Star.

Both look like quality MH's to me but the Beaver cabinets are really upgraded compared to the Dutch Star.

My concern is this: Beaver isn't in business anymore; Newman is. Suppose something goes wrong with the Beaver who do I go to, other than the local dealer for parts?

BTW the asking price for both units is about the same as well so do I stay in the Newman family or just to the Beaver? Any comments are appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Beaver at that time was a step up from the Dutch Star, maybe two steps. Newmar has just re-invented the Dutch Star, looks real fine! Newmar is a great company as rv manufactures good customer support is readily available. I would not be concerned about parts as most of a motor home is assembled from mulyiple suppliers, ie, diesel, slide motors, step motor, frig, jacks, chassis and so forth. If you like the floor plan, have the coach inspected by a WELL qualified tech, indepents of seller of course, I would not hesitate to buy the Beaver. In fact I have a fellow rv'er that we wintered with that owns a beaver very nice coach. But hey, Newmar is great!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I believe the Beaver is on a proprietary chassis and the Dutch Star is on a Spartan or Freightliner.

Also, you can always go to the Newmar factory for service, a big plus.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation Newmar rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I believe the Beaver is on a proprietary chassis and the Dutch Star is on a Spartan or Freightliner.

Also, you can always go to the Newmar factory for service, a big plus.
Having just gotten a Newmar some things were new to me

I called Newmar spoke with a real person
did not have to go through 20 minutes of press 1 for this and 2 for that
was spoken to with respect and helped out a bunch with follow up calls

Newmar CS is first class in my book ...............

just saying
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Beaver is now part of Monaco and has been for a dozen years or so. The 2004 is on a Monaco Roadmaster chassis, though earlier years used the Safari Magnum chassis (Beaver was a division of Safari before Monaco bought them both out). Yo would go to Monaco (Navistar) for chassis parts. Most any other parts would be industry standard stuff, e.g appliances, water system, etc. Available anywhere.

You are right - the Beaver cabinetry sets it apart from the Dutch Star of the same year. Depending on how important that is to you. I might opt for the lower mileage of the Dutch Star. Not an engine concern, but a lower mileage coach has probably had less overall wear and tear.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #6

I vote for the Beaver.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #7

We just looked at both the Beaver and Newmar coaches, although we were looking at older models (late 90's). They are both nicely thought out and put together. The mechanicals were equal but Beaver did seem to have nicer cabinetry. In the end for us it came down to the individual coach rather than the brand. The Newmar was a one-owner unit seemingly well maintained and upgraded. It also was a bit less money than the Beaver. Since purchase we've had time to live with it a bit and are very happywith out choice. We've had contact with Newmar customer service that has been excellent. They have archived information on their coaches going back to when they rolled out of teh factory, including any warranty repairs that may have been needed. The Freightline customer service has also been very helpful as we become acquainted with the RV

I don;t think you can go wrogn with either. Choose the one you like
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:31 AM   #8

So if I understand correctly:

1. There isn't much to be concerned about buying an 'orphan unit'

2. Comparing these two units is an apple-apple and not apple-oranges
Old 09-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Right - most orphan units contain either industry standard components or custom things that are not available post-production anyway, e.g. cabinets and such. Any 2004 is pretty much an orphan anyway, since the factory is no longer building models like it and generally does not stock parts for older models anyway.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver