Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #1

Smile 2004 Fleetwood RV

I currently do not own a MH and have some questions before I invest. I am looking to purchase a 2004 Fleetwood Discovery 39S. It is a diesel pusher and I was wondering:
1. is gas or diesel the most cost efficient way to go?
2. is anyone aware of issues with this type of MH?
3. what would be an average monthly cost at an rv park in the south?
4.What should I expect to pay in maintenance fees for a class A like this over a five year period e.g., roof, engine, tires, appliances etc?
Thank you in advance for any help,
Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #2

In your size coach I believe you will find diesel the best option. Basically constant mpg regardless of terrain or weather.
You will find RV parks priced according to the amenities and location. You can join Workcampers and work as assistant managers in parks usually with a small salary and free space. There are websites that list all kinds of work -camping opportunities.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayertw View Post
I currently do not own a MH and have some questions before I invest. I am looking to purchase a 2004 Fleetwood Discovery 39S. It is a diesel pusher and I was wondering:
1. is gas or diesel the most cost efficient way to go? Depends on what and how long your going to use it for.
2. is anyone aware of issues with this type of MH? I'm not aware of any issues but issues come up all the time on all motorhomes.
3. what would be an average monthly cost at an rv park in the south? $250-$1500 depending on where and what your getting.
4.What should I expect to pay in maintenance fees for a class A like this over a five year period e.g., roof, engine, tires, appliances etc? $2500-$5000 depending on how much you can do yourself and other "wants" you may want to upgrade to which could take you over $10,000.
Tom
You can read up on volumes of threads here that will help you determine what you want to do. Just the gas vs. diesel threads will take up your day!!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
We own a 2003 Discovery 39C and love it. Good luck and welcome!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayertw View Post
1. is gas or diesel the most cost efficient way to go?
2. is anyone aware of issues with this type of MH?
3. what would be an average monthly cost at an rv park in the south?
4.What should I expect to pay in maintenance fees for a class A like this over a five year period e.g., roof, engine, tires, appliances etc?
Tom
I'll try to help with some short time experience. I have a new to me (since Feb 2013) 2002 Discovery 37U DP. Cost of gas vs Diesel is about the same. Gas cost is less but the DP usually will get a little better mileage. The big plus with diesel, for me anyway, diesel torque is awesome, dependability and I love the smell of the big cat purring, lol

Issues with this type MH: It all depends on the previous owners maintenance. If it looks like new and smells new then it probably was taken care of. Let your wife go inside and if she stays more than 5 minutes you probably are looking at a good coach, lol They, MH's, all have there little "issues" like a house

Monthly camping cost depends on what time of year and where you stay, daily rates in South Carolina can range from $12 up to $60+ per day. Depends on special senior citizens discounts and club member rates too.

Over a five year period: There's insurance, on road assistance and property tax (unless you live in FL, no property tax)
Figure changing all fluids, filters and tires...around $3000 depending on tires you buy, could be higher. Probably you will replace a few batteries, up to six, total around $800. Roof should or could be OK if you take care of it. Maybe a fridge @ $1200. Upgrade the TV's to HD $450 and add a satellite dish @ $160.
Buying a car dollie or some type of apparatus to pull your toad around $1000.
But the fun you'll have will be priceless!!! Workin' on em when you're not camping is pretty fun too.
Good Luck,

Old 11-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #6

Thank you Hawk57.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #7

Thank you CSRRSR, I plan to travel to MN annually for the summer and travel to NC to visit the children. Also, trips down south and possibly CO and KS.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #8

Great, thank you.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #9

Thank you Buckstand, this gives me a better picture of what to expect if I purchase an DP.

Tags
fleetwood