Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #1

2004 Monaco Diplomat Residential Refrigerator Conversion

My Norcold started emitting a strong Amonia smell on my way back from our last trip.... we had to open windows and turn off the Refrigerator. My understanding is this is most likely the cooling unit.

So I want to replace it with a residential refrigerator.

My problem is that the height in the motorhome was only 64 inches from the current floor to the ceiling. I have removed that floor, which is over the furnace and dropped it gaining 3.5 inches.... so now I have 67.5 inches to the ceiling.

My problem is I can't find a refrigerator that fits that space that is a Counter Depth model.

Is there a way to cut off the wheels or something else on a residential counter depth model to get it to fit in the 67.5 inches that I have available?

I am trying to figure out a way to lose a couple of inches since it seems most models are 69.5 inches tall and I just don't have the room and am as low as I can go on the floor over the heater.... even using 1/2 inch plywood with supports underneath in the middle as well as on the sides to strengthen it with out losing space.

Thank you for your help!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Good afternoon Texas. ! I just installed a whirlpool model ed2khaxvb black 2 door with ice and water, went over the exist 42 gran surb. Furnace! Just replaced floor with treated ply layered laminated ! Then put sheet metal on furnace side! Got at lowes 891 ! Put in new 2000 prosine inverter on sep. Battery circuit ! Measurements are 66.75 to top of hinges, 32.75wide, 65.875 to top of case. 33.75 depth with handles! Removed a slide window and slid in. Only had to sand 1/2 off right side! 22 cu ft. Get it on sale and ask for there extra 10 pet cent! Good luck! By by 1200 junko?

Old 10-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #3

guess I don't speak RV yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic 8406 View Post
Good afternoon Texas. ! I just installed a whirlpool model ed2khaxvb black 2 door with ice and water, went over the exist 42 gran surb. Furnace! Just replaced floor with treated ply layered laminated ! Then put sheet metal on furnace side! Got at lowes 891 ! Put in new 2000 prosine inverter on sep. Battery circuit ! Measurements are 66.75 to top of hinges, 32.75wide, 65.875 to top of case. 33.75 depth with handles! Removed a slide window and slid in. Only had to sand 1/2 off right side! 22 cu ft. Get it on sale and ask for there extra 10 pet cent! Good luck! By by 1200 junko?
Wow ! Do you provide translation service for what you wrote?
Old 10-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Would but you'd would understand either way ! If some one wants real info. Can be translated! Pretty simple, take model size and look at specs. Take out old 1200 take measurements and go with that!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Texas42"....Here is what I did, Samsung RF197 Install with Propane Heater
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #6

Thanks! I measured last night again and with the 67.5 height, I have 26 inch depth.... that would be the box, so I think I may have to get a Counter depth model, however, those all seem to be too high.

I am wondering if I can cut off the wheels on one of those to get the height down to the 67.5?

The depth issue will most likely not allow for me to use the model you stated above.... did you have more depth in your cabinet?

I have looked at the Samsung 197, but the height is just too high. With my Monaco being a 2004, I believe it is 3 or 4 inches shorter than the 2005 models and newer inside.... so that is why I am limited to the 67.5.

I don't mind modifying a refrigerator at the base to lower it, but don't want to mess up ventilation or anything.

Definitely don't want to go back to fixing the Norcold though!
Old 10-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #7

Hi Tex,
I just measured my installation. My opening is 70", so the unit itself is probably about 69" with the wheels off. I lowered the floor to just over the furnace to get that height. Have you considered NOT using a floor at all? If you mount blocks to support the fridge and have no more than a sheet metal barrier above the furnace, will that get the height you need?

I took the wheel carriages off of the 197 and rested the mounting tabs on blocks with lag screws to hold them down.
TLGPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #8

I will go and measure now.... I haven't thought of that, do you think the heater will put off heat which may affect the bottom of the refrigerator.

I am thinking that without the 1/2 inch plywood and lowering to literally level with the top of the heater, I could gain about 1 inch.

That would give me a max of 68.5.

I am afraid that the Fisher Paykel 16.9 cu may be my only option. It is pricey at $2399 though!

I was really hoping for a less expensive option as I do not full time in my RV... .have a family of 4 young ones 12 down to 6 so we take several trips in it and need a good refrigerator, but not being used full time. Repairing the old Norcold for $1K in parts is starting to seem like an option!
Old 10-10-2014, 06:11 AM   #9

I'm not sure this will be relevent. But I put in a Whirlpool WRT111sf in our 2000 Dutch Star. It's 59" tall, and the best mod I've ever done. My advice is to measure, measure, then measure again. Almost forgot...you'll need a PSW inverter just to be safe, I already had one so it was a no brainer for me.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for your help and input.

I ended up purchasing a Whirlpool wrs322fdam..... it was 66 inches tall and 33 wide and 34 deep with doors and handles on.

The box sits about 2 1/2 inches out of the cabinet, but it actually has worked out really well with clearance for the doors on the ceiling and open all the way.... You can still walk through the hall way with no issue with doors closed.

It cools so much better than my Norcold... within 1 hour it is pretty cold! The old water hookup went right on as well for the ice maker.

I have a Xantrex 453 2500 W inverter and everything is running fine and it is not pulling many amps either... at peak with both A/C's and refrigerator compressor it was pulling 17 amps.... .now with just A/C's it is at 8 or 9 and the refrigerator is on so I think I should be fine.

Anyway this was a bit of a project but it looks great and love the room of the residential refrigerator and in door ice and water!

Taking it to the sand dunes tonight for a few days!

Tags
monaco, refrigerator