Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2016, 09:10 AM   #1

2004 Monaco Monarch on Workhorse

I want to use battery charge line at rear tow recp..no power to blk. Battery charge connection???is there a fuse to that line?if so where is??i am 2nd owner,and do not think original owner used the connection.everything else on recp. Works fine .just no 12v power to blk. Conn.with engine running.towed vehicles batt.going dead after 200 mi.(?)--thanks for any info.---ken---
KEN HEARING is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #2

Ken-

According to page 42 of your coach's owners manual, the coach was shipped with a non-standard 6-pin trailer hitch connector. Is that still the case, or has someone installed a standard 4-, 5-, 6- or 7-pin connector?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2004_Monarch_SE_p42.pdf (205.0 KB, 39 views)
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:30 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN HEARING View Post
I want to use battery charge line at rear tow recp..no power to blk. Battery charge connection???is there a fuse to that line?if so where is??i am 2nd owner,and do not think original owner used the connection.everything else on recp. Works fine .just no 12v power to blk. Conn.with engine running.towed vehicles batt.going dead after 200 mi.(?)--thanks for any info.---ken---
I don't know about your Monaco, but my '06 Itasca did not have a 12v line to the hitch. You should be able to pull the plug on the motor home apart and see if there is even a wire to that pin. If not, you can do what I did and run a dedicated line from the fuse block.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:05 AM   #4

Yes,a 7-pole recp. Has been installed.a 10-ga. Blk. Wire is in the typical "tow battery chg. Position.there is no 12v power to it with eng. Running.i am in a dirt rv park,so have not crawled under to trace wire.i thought,if installed,it shd.have a connection up front.(?)where? Shd. There also be a fuse?where?--thanks for any help.---ken
Old 12-06-2016, 11:40 AM   #5

Ken-

A few observations:

1) I know that Ford does not (currently) provide a 12V trailer charge line on the F-53 Class A chassis. They leave that up to the chassis builder. I can't say for the Workhorse chassis. Could be the same, or not. What Workhorse wiring diagrams I have don't show trailer connections at all.

2) As the factory-shipped trailer connector did not have a charge line, it's likely any new 7-pin connector was done by a prior owner (or by his direction). That means you could be dealing with any sort of wiring.

3) A few years newer and you coach would have had a 15A circuit breaker in position #F30 in the Front Distribution Panel (the one in the big plastic box that's in the outside compartment under the driver's left foot, accessible from the outside). There is no such marked fuse/breaker in the panel for your coach, according to the owners manual.

You could, as a next step, inspect the coach's chassis battery positive terminal for an in-line fuse holder on a 10- to 14-gauge wire. Another check would be to look for an added wire in the Front Distribution Panel, one that looks out of place. There are spare fuse positions in the FDP; I've used one on my coach, and maybe whoever rewired the trailer connector did, too.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #6

Thanks,best info. So far.i will check fuse panels etc..i am about ready to just run my own line,and be done with it.thanks so much!!!---ken
Old 12-07-2016, 02:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN HEARING View Post
i am about ready to just run my own line,and be done with it.
Ken-

I understand the sentiment. But, maybe someone has already done the work for you. Maybe you get the "opportunity" to clean up some spaghetti.

My last suggestions are ones that you can do while "topside"; as you've already figured out, crawling in the dirt under the rig is the better way to find out what you've got.

Keep us posted.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #8

if the original owner never used it , it may not be hooked up... look under dash or in engine bay for a blk wire just hanging around.

Tags
monaco, workhorse