Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #1

2004 TracVision SF Satellite Antenna

Hello everyone, I have a 2004 TracVision SF Satellite Dome antenna currently on my 2005 Fleetwood Excursion. I just switched to DISH because of their extreme user friendliness to RV customers i.e. packages, billing and pay as you use. Is this antenna still going to work today? I look forward to hearing from you! Thanks y'all...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #2

I know nothing about your unit. However I bought a coach with the Winegard dome and to change it to Dish I had to remove the cover & change the settings on the dip switches.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT

Old 04-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Maybe, if it was programmed to work with Dish TV when you acquired the dome.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I also have the KVH Trackvision Model R4 and it works fine with my Dish service. It muse be initally set up orn Dish or Direct but once done it should serve you well. I found it best to put the receiver in the coach and power up the dish before I leave on a trip and leave the dish powered (12 volts) until I return home. The dish will track the signal all the way across the country and back. This way. I just pull into a campground, turn on the receiver and TV and I have instant TV without re-tuning every time.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #5

Smile m2004 TracVision SF Satellite Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody10 View Post
Hello everyone, I have a 2004 TracVision SF Satellite Dome antenna currently on my 2005 Fleetwood Excursion. I just switched to DISH because of their extreme user friendliness to RV customers i.e. packages, billing and pay as you use. Is this antenna still going to work today? I look forward to hearing from you! Thanks y'all...
I had the same antenna on our 06 Pace Arrow and was able to use it with Dish for a while. It will only lock on to one satellite and will not switch to another satellite when you change channels. A real pain in the rear. I contacted KVH and they advised me to replace it with their R4 which was a direct physical replacement and it did switch satellites when you change channels. I was able to use the existing cable and mechanical mounting. This made the installation a piece of cake and it does work pretty good but not what I would call user friendly.

My COST was roughly $1,000. A much better way to go is one of the Wineguard domes. They are much smaller and work great with Dish. I bought one of their carryout domes and it is fantastic. It is fully automatic and HD with Dish.

I bought the carryout for those times I am tree blocked at my campsite.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

As others have said, the SF has to be configured to use either Dish or Direct. Since you switched satellite services, the answer is No until you get it re-configured. On a few domes it's a matter of flipping a dip switch or tow, but more likely is going to take more than that. On my 2008 vintage Trakvision R4 it takes an electronic module (and it ain't cheap) but later versions of that same dome can be re-programmed inexpensively. Check with Trakvision.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #7

On my Trackvision R5, all I had to do is plug in a couple of provided plugs to change it over from Direct to Dish. I'd recommend going to their website and downloading the manual.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for your input it sounds like it might not be worth the effort and money to try to use it...especially when the new portable automatic antennae are so good and reasonably priced!
Old 04-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #9

One other possibility...I bought the 05 Fleetwood Excursion last summer and it was in excellent condition. It's possible that the previous owner had the TracVision Satellite dome updated already. I'll try it first to see if it works.

Tags
antenna, satellite