Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #1

2004 vectra cooling system

I just bought a 2004 Vectra 40AD. It has 23000 miles and it is awesome but it is now 10 years old. I have no service records. The PDI was poor by the selling dealer - but I took a chance all was good. Is there a place I can go to get the past service records without knowing where it was serviced. The tires were original and rotten. I have changed oil and tires and now am looking at the cooling system. At the oil change cummins had to add coolant and that was about 400 miles ago. I have no detectible fluid leaks under the motorhome but believe I need to add coolant again. I am going to have cummins/freightliner repair shop change the coolant but am concerned about the potential of a cavitation problem. I have read that there is a coolant filter. Anything else coolant wise I should look at?

I live in Sacramento, CA and this coach is originally bought in California.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Bill
2004 Winnebago Vectra
wguckeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It's a Freightliner chassis, so Freightliner (FCCC in Gafney, SC) might have some service records if a Freightliner facility was used. And Carfax report might get you a bit of info from other shops - I saw a few service entries on my 2004.

Your best bet on a 10 year old coach is to perform all the maintenance now and establish your own baseline for the future.. Oil & filter change, fuel filter(s), air filter, coolant change, tranny fluid & filters, air dryer cartridge, and a chassis lube. Ditto for the genset: air, oil, fuel and coolant service. It's expensive upfront, but you know where you stand and probably won't spend much of anything for two more years and only a little until the third.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What Gary said and yes there is a coolant filter. Coolant is the next step I'm doing and might check into replacement of the plastic surge tank if it hasn't been done yet. Mine is the same as yours except it's a Horizon. Also a recall on the steering system from freightliner and check your refrigerator for the overheat shutoff kit if is a Norcold 1200/1201. Welcome to the forum.
Rich
Old 10-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #4

copied your recommendations as a reference thanks gary and rich
wguckeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2005 Horizon AD, I believe it should be similar to yours. I would check at a Winnebago dealer or the Winnebago factory, if repairs were done at a dealer it will be on their computers. When we bought ours in 2006 I was able to get a print out of everything that was done from the first purchaser to the time we bought it. They will need your VIN# to look it up.

If you are losing coolant, check the coolant surge tank & the radiator cap to it. We have been going thru coolant for about a year, not bad, but finally had it checked and they could find no issues, but when he took the cap off he found it was bad and could see where coolant had slowly run down the backside of the tank where we were not looking. We had to replace our plastic tank, it cracked, with a metal one about 3 years ago (they no longer make the plastic ones) If you have an extended warranty they will not cover the whole replacement cost as they only cover like for like, and the plastic cost less.

Welcome to the forum and have fun with your new to you Vectra.
Diane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguckeen View Post
I just bought a 2004 Vectra 40AD. It has 23000 miles and it is awesome but it is now 10 years old. I have no service records. The PDI was poor by the selling dealer - but I took a chance all was good. Is there a place I can go to get the past service records without knowing where it was serviced. The tires were original and rotten. I have changed oil and tires and now am looking at the cooling system. At the oil change cummins had to add coolant and that was about 400 miles ago. I have no detectible fluid leaks under the motorhome but believe I need to add coolant again. I am going to have cummins/freightliner repair shop change the coolant but am concerned about the potential of a cavitation problem. I have read that there is a coolant filter. Anything else coolant wise I should look at?

I live in Sacramento, CA and this coach is originally bought in California.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Bill

2004 Winnebago Vectra

Congratulations on your new coach. When we were looking for a full timing coach, we really liked the Vectras and still do.

Here is your brochure:

http://media.gowinnebago.com/models/...Vectra-bro.pdf

I notice that the standard engine was a Cat C7. If this is your engine, then cavitation is not an issue because the Cat is not a wet sleeved design and not subject to cavitation. If you have a Cummins then follow the recommendations of the Cummins shop as to coolant. OAT type is the newest but the standard coolants with DCA is still a viable option. I would start a program of having oil and transmission fluid samples tested annually. Your transmission should have Transynd but the filters need changing at 36 month intervals. The sample test will tell you the health of the fluid.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling